Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Gemini wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new 19" Gemini wheels that are standard on the Y: are they alloy wheels or plastic wheel covers on steel wheels?

They are ugly as sin to me with the covers. They look cheap and like hubcaps. I guess they kind of are. Is the purpose of those covers to improve range? Otherwise if I had Geminis I'd take them off. I actually like the Gemini wheels without the covers.

Reactions: Watts_Up
As soon as your new car rolls off the SC lot remove the covers so you never initially see the range benefit of the covers. When you observe the new battery initial degradation kick in and then it steadies off put the covers back on. Voila you get the few % of range back that you lost. Reference "The data clearly shows that for the first 50,000 miles (100,000 km), most Tesla battery packs will lose about 5% of their capacity," Tesla battery degradation at less than 10% after over 160,000 miles, according to latest data - Electrek

Reactions: bhzmark and DanDi58
I unfortunately got road rash after 4 days of owning the car. The backup camera guidelines are VERY different in usage from my dodge challenger. :(

Anyway I found that my hubcaps were completely unharmed although the edge of the actual rims were. Bummer!

Prettier in black! Please note that RimSavers will NOT work on these wheels due to the 1/8" rounded lip at the edge.
Black rims close.JPG Black rims far.JPG

Rim close 1.jpeg

Last edited:
I saw several MY's while driving around today - white with hubcaps, white with Inductions and red with Inductions... I am seriously considering gong with the Inductions on my DBM order - I just wish they came in a non-black color. I also would really like to know about the range impact.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I saw several MY's while driving around today - white with hubcaps, white with Inductions and red with Inductions... I am seriously considering gong with the Inductions on my DBM order - I just wish they came in a non-black color. I also would really like to know about the range impact.

Look at TSportlines new wheels. Way better value IMO and have different color options.

Tesla Model Y Wheels-20" TSV Flow Forged Tesla Wheel (Set of 4) - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

What is DBM? Lots of abbreviations on this forum. I need a key to decipher them sometimes!