Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Snow Tires for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking to put snow tires on my MX and I have a few questions. My vehicle came equipment with 20" wheels and tires, and I was looking on Tesla website and they sell a 19" snow tire package.

1] I heard that wheels/tires have a major impact on your EV range. Does anyone have any recommendation?

2] I was looking to buy the BLIZZAK DM-V2 265/50R19 110T XL tires and 19x8.5" wheels. Will this work on my MX? And will Tesla service center install it?

3] I know going from 22" wheel to 20" wheel gives a 20%+ range increase. Does going from 20" to 19" also give a range increase?

Thanks

I was looking to put snow tires on my MX and I have a few questions. My vehicle came equipment with 20" wheels and tires, and I was looking on Tesla website and they sell a 19" snow tire package.

1] I heard that wheels/tires have a major impact on your EV range. Does anyone have any recommendation?

2] I was looking to buy the BLIZZAK DM-V2 265/50R19 110T XL tires and 19x8.5" wheels. Will this work on my MX? And will Tesla service center install it?

3] I know going from 22" wheel to 20" wheel gives a 20%+ range increase. Does going from 20" to 19" also give a range increase?

Thanks
I had some experience with 20 Michelin summer tires, 22 Goodyear summer tires and 19 Blizzak winter tires.
(1) to maximize winter range I would recommend 19 or 20 wheels. 22 is worse - in my experience it is 7% worse than 20. Tesla says 22 is 15% worse than 20 at most, I think it is the difference with regard to high speed (like exceeding 75mph). Higher speed = bigger difference between 22 and 20.

(2) It should but smaller wheels tend to have issues clearing brake discs - so you really need to install it and see. Not sure Tesla is willing to work on non-OEM wheels. Probably depends on service centers. I use OEM Cyclones with Blizzak, which was really good in snow. Not sure it is more suitable with American or European roads. Blizzak seems to be very soft so might have shorter life.

(3) I didn't feel any change between 20 summer and 19 Blizzak. Softer compound of Blizzak could negate the range gain I suppose...

I live in Norway and have 19’’ w Nokian Hakkapelita R2 nordic winter tyres. Consumption goes up i winter due to more wet and snowy roads + cold temp. Still consuption will be better w 19’’ then 20 or 22’’, but the tyre’s rolling resitance are important. R2 are better then most on rolling resistance, exellent on snow, but a bit soft for fast driving og dry roads. May not get them i N America?

I’m going with 19” TST rims and Nokian Hakka R3. Just ordered them last week and hopefully will get them on time for when I pickup my X in two weeks! We have pretty harsh winters here in Montreal and I can’t wait to drive in the snow with those :)

Reactions: cdninnyc
I’m going with 19” TST rims and Nokian Hakka R3. Just ordered them last week and hopefully will get them on time for when I pickup my X in two weeks! We have pretty harsh winters here in Montreal and I can’t wait to drive in the snow with those :)

Just put on this exact same set up here in ny two weeks ago. Roared around like a champ in that freak snowstorm last week. Blazed up hills and around traffic with ease. Pretty happy.

• Love
Reactions: Bogobec
always remember tesla family...if you have tesla install wheels and tires there is no such thing as road hazard!

i have a screw in my 4000 mile tire right now and tesla won't patch it because they only do the big area patches and not the cord patches like all of the other tire shops. i'm out of pocket an additional $200 for another tire if i choose to replace it.

for now i will continue driving with a screw buried in the tread...

always remember tesla family...if you have tesla install wheels and tires there is no such thing as road hazard!

i have a screw in my 4000 mile tire right now and tesla won't patch it because they only do the big area patches and not the cord patches like all of the other tire shops. i'm out of pocket an additional $200 for another tire if i choose to replace it.

for now i will continue driving with a screw buried in the tread...

I think all service centres are different. I had a screw in my stock tire that was installed in my Tsportline rims and they fixed it no problem. Didn't even charge me for it. I'm in Toronto Canada.

I'm running nokian on my stock 20 inch rim. Great tire, it's not even a pure snow tire. It's the wrg3 Which are an all weather tire. The nokian r line winter tire were sold out in our stock size.
At the time I bought rims Tsportline didn't have 19s, I would have preferred them for winter over the stock 20s. So I put stock tire on Tsportline rims and winter tires on stock rim.
Love these rims, really nice.

My refferal if anyone would like $50 savings
http://rwrd.io/5wchend

Got some 265/50R-19 BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK DM-V2 XL with 19X8.5 SPORT EDITION WX9 as a complete package from TireRack.com. Put them on myself. It’s been running fine so far, especially with heavy snow and ice the last couple of days. There is noticiable increase in road/tire noise I do really like the Blizzaks. Had the Scorpions Winters on my old car, it was fine but there were still some slip.

There was a decrease in available range (increase in consumption) but part of that was also due to drop in temperatures. Sorry I can’t give you exact figures.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Got some 265/50R-19 BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK DM-V2 XL with 19X8.5 SPORT EDITION WX9 as a complete package from TireRack.com. Put them on myself. It’s been running fine so far, especially with heavy snow and ice the last couple of days. There is noticiable increase in road/tire noise I do really like the Blizzaks. Had the Scorpions Winters on my old car, it was fine but there were still some slip.

There was a decrease in available range (increase in consumption) but part of that was also due to drop in temperatures. Sorry I can’t give you exact figures.
Just moved from to NJ (never had snow tires before} to NH on some steep hills. Looking to put the exact same package on my 2017 MX. Are you still happy with them?

One thing I did notice when I took them off for the summer, the aluminum rings that helped with fitting the wheels into the car was somewhat stuck due to oxidation. Used a tiny bit of WD40, waited some time for it to work its way in, came off with a tap from a urethane mallet.

Thanks

The difference is not 20%+. Currently on a Raven the difference is about 4%.

Keep in mind that it's not the rim size that dictates efficiency, it's the Width of the tire and the tire compound.

Tire Compound being the bulk of it.

19" and 20" Front have the exact same width (no difference). In the rear the difference in 19" and 20" is 0.4" (which is about 4%).
19" might be slightly more efficient. But what tire you pick matters more. You have a wider set choices with 19".

You need to look up the efficiency ratings of tires you are comparing. TireRack does have users rate efficiency but that's not a real measurement.

All European Tire sites require efficiency rating on the Tire Tag and many are listed on Euro tire site.

I think Consumer reports measured a bunch of tires too.

X-Ice 3 are really good at efficiency and noise (not available for Model X).
Nokian R3 (or R2 SUV) are very good on efficiency but not quite as good on noise. Not sure if available for Model X.
Not sure where blizzaks land nor the performance snows that Tesla sells. Not a whole lot of choices.

Reactions: nzer