Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" wheels vs 18" - comparison test from Edmunds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 19s look better, but I think it's just the hubcaps. I wonder if there's anything that can fit the 18s to have a similar look. Also, I'd heard other people saying the 19s were rougher than the 18s... I think my preference would be 18s, where I'd use the Aero caps for road trips, to get the range, and then either take the Aeros off or put some caps on that look like the 19s. Or who knows, depending on the trip, I might just leave the Aeros off...

Very cool. Not terribly surprising either. I think it makes it an easier choice: 19s for that performance edge, 18s for efficiency edge, and aesthetics as a tiebreaker where necessary.

I lean toward the efficiency side of things, and I consider the 18" performance good enough. Daily commute in freeway traffic is the primary use of this car. On really crappy roads.

Reactions: gogogoducks
I don't think much of the noted difference is due to the size of the wheels as much as the difference in tires. Put Pilot 4s on the 18s and you will probably outperform the Continental all-seasons that ship on the 19s. I think the moral of the story is that the Michelin Primacy is a poor-performer when it comes to grip as it is designed to be long-lasting and efficient (which it seems to be).

I don't think much of the noted difference is due to the size of the wheels as much as the difference in tires. Put Pilot 4s on the 18s and you will probably outperform the Continental all-seasons that ship on the 19s. I think the moral of the story is that the Michelin Primacy is a poor-performer when it comes to grip as it is designed to be long-lasting and efficient (which it seems to be).

Exactly what I was going to write.

I'd add that the GVWR is lower on the 19" tires, so you can't load the car fully and be as safe on them.

model3tireswithnotes-png.291865

Interesting that he also says the ride is more comfortable on the 19" due to running at a lower tire pressure.That goes against the conventional wisdom expressed in many TMC posts.

The skidpad improvement is not just a tire comparison, but also I think a reflection of the shorter and thus stiffer sidewall.

Interesting that he also says the ride is more comfortable on the 19" due to running at a lower tire pressure.That goes against the conventional wisdom expressed in many TMC posts.

The skidpad improvement is not just a tire comparison, but also I think a reflection of the shorter and thus stiffer sidewall.
It is just a tire comparison. Whenever I see what setups people run to get the fastest lap times they're not upsizing the diameter. Sometimes people even go down a size. Put some summer tires on either the 18s or 19s and you'll blow away all Edmund's test numbers.

Reactions: davedavedave
It is just a tire comparison. Whenever I see what setups people run to get the fastest lap times they're not upsizing the diameter. Sometimes people even go down a size. Put some summer tires on either the 18s or 19s and you'll blow away all Edmund's test numbers.

Exactly. This is why I have the 19" rims I bought from somewhere here with PS4s mounted already. Can't wait to carve some twisties...

Reactions: Daniel in SD
Once I wear out the Michelin stock tires on the 18's, I'll put winter tires on and buy a set of 19's for summer tires. I have my own little tests that I've done over the years in my old Model S, a BMW 4 series with AWD, and now the Model 3, and the 3 leaves something to be desired in grip in its current setup in wet and dry conditions. I had Conti DWS tires on the last two cars, and those work well for all seasons, but I'm ready to graduate from "no season" tires.

Reactions: Daniel in SD