TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

19" wheels vs 18" - comparison test from Edmunds

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SoCalGuy, Apr 19, 2018.

1. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

I've been waiting for something like this. TL;DR 19s have better acceleration, shorter stopping distance and make car more fun to drive.

Only thing we don't know is range impact with real world data.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. LonestarV

LonestarV Member

Dang it, now I might change my mind on wheel selection too. :eek:

3. drawfour

drawfour Member

The 19s look better, but I think it's just the hubcaps. I wonder if there's anything that can fit the 18s to have a similar look. Also, I'd heard other people saying the 19s were rougher than the 18s... I think my preference would be 18s, where I'd use the Aero caps for road trips, to get the range, and then either take the Aeros off or put some caps on that look like the 19s. Or who knows, depending on the trip, I might just leave the Aeros off...

4. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

Very cool. Not terribly surprising either. I think it makes it an easier choice: 19s for that performance edge, 18s for efficiency edge, and aesthetics as a tiebreaker where necessary.

I lean toward the efficiency side of things, and I consider the 18" performance good enough. Daily commute in freeway traffic is the primary use of this car. On really crappy roads.

• Like x 1
  5. RDaneel

RDaneel Member

I don't think much of the noted difference is due to the size of the wheels as much as the difference in tires. Put Pilot 4s on the 18s and you will probably outperform the Continental all-seasons that ship on the 19s. I think the moral of the story is that the Michelin Primacy is a poor-performer when it comes to grip as it is designed to be long-lasting and efficient (which it seems to be).

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  6. azentropy

azentropy Member

Exactly what I was going to write.

7. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

The 19s cannot be better than 18s. They are just as wide, yet weigh more.

The only difference are the tires.

• Like x 2
  8. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

I'd add that the GVWR is lower on the 19" tires, so you can't load the car fully and be as safe on them.

[​IMG]

• Informative x 3
  9. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

This is simply a tire comparison, PERIOD.

• Like x 3
  10. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Interesting that he also says the ride is more comfortable on the 19" due to running at a lower tire pressure.That goes against the conventional wisdom expressed in many TMC posts.

The skidpad improvement is not just a tire comparison, but also I think a reflection of the shorter and thus stiffer sidewall.

11. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Well-Known Member

It is just a tire comparison. Whenever I see what setups people run to get the fastest lap times they're not upsizing the diameter. Sometimes people even go down a size. Put some summer tires on either the 18s or 19s and you'll blow away all Edmund's test numbers.

• Like x 1
  12. RDaneel

RDaneel Member

Exactly. This is why I have the 19" rims I bought from somewhere here with PS4s mounted already. Can't wait to carve some twisties...

• Like x 1
  13. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

I think it is funny that publications like Edmunds are changing their tune about the model 3 once they take a more studied and in depth look. Did you notice the "Tesla grin" on the reviewer's face? :D ;)

• Like x 1
  14. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

Once I wear out the Michelin stock tires on the 18's, I'll put winter tires on and buy a set of 19's for summer tires. I have my own little tests that I've done over the years in my old Model S, a BMW 4 series with AWD, and now the Model 3, and the 3 leaves something to be desired in grip in its current setup in wet and dry conditions. I had Conti DWS tires on the last two cars, and those work well for all seasons, but I'm ready to graduate from "no season" tires.

• Like x 1