Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st drive of 2017 MBZ E-class: lane keeping is STILL inferior Tesla's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This result surprised me. Quoted text is below. Link is below that. The new E-class hitting showrooms shortly has been trumpeted as having the most advanced technology. It has five cameras, five radars and 12 ultrasonic sensors - vs Tesla's current 1 camera, and one radar and 12 ultrasonic sensors. Despite this hardware superiority, Nick Jaynes writes yesterday in Mashable that Tesla's lane keeping is still more accurate and reliable than Mercedes. Those of you who recall the Car and Driver comparison test in February will remember that Tesla's first 7.0 Autopilot build had an error rate over 50% less than Mercedes' 2016 technology. Now we are discussing Mercedes' next-generation, much ballyooed semi-autonomous system about to hit the streets:

"With one eye on the road and another on a tiny green steering wheel icon emblazoned on the display in front of me, I watched as the all-new 2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class drifted across the yellow lane marker. Just as the lefthand tires crested the line, the car proceeded to buzz the steering wheel to warn me, the driver, of an unsignaled lane departure.
"Oh, don't give me that," I hollered at the car, as I grabbed the wheel and jerked the mid-size luxury sedan back into the lane. "You're the one doing the steering!"
Now back in my lane with the Mercedes mostly keeping itself in check, my heart sank a bit.
I felt disheartened because Mercedes' new suite of semi-autonomous safety tech, Drive Pilot, simply didn't feel as robust as Tesla's Autopilot that I had tested on the very same stretch of freeways some eight months before.
During my test, the Model S was able not only able to stay planted within its lane, it also stayed almost perfectly centered in that lane. Comparatively, the E-Class struggled to even keep itself in a single lane — forget hopes of holding dead center."

"

On a straight, well-marked freeway, following traffic ahead, the system worked great. However, as soon as lane markings on either side became too hard to read or simply dropped away, Steering Pilot would cut out — sans warning.

Really, the only indication the car wasn't steering anymore was that the little steering wheel icon on the instrument display would go from green back to grey. If I didn't notice this because I was paying attention to the road ahead, like I am supposed to, I could suddenly and rapidly find the car drifting out of its lane. This happened to me several times over the two days I tested it."

Mercedes-Benz's 2017 E-Class won't let you nap behind the wheel

Yep . . . our ride is far superior, and some day we can explain how & why . . .
:D
meanwhile, princess Diana was killed in an MB, while you have to go over a 300 foot cliff to kill your self in a Tesla, because a high speed head on with a Honda Accura just won't do it . . . that simply kills the occupants instantly in the Honda, while the Tesla driver survives.
Thanks for that some-day-maybe benefit, MB.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
I watched as the all-new 2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class drifted across the yellow lane marker. Just as the lefthand tires crested the line, the car proceeded to buzz the steering wheel to warn me, the driver, of an unsignaled lane departure.
[...]
Though they didn't explicitly say it, we can infer Mercedes doesn't want a driver to be lulled into a false sense of security and thereby shirk their driving responsibilities.
[...]
Don't worry, though, the car's just semi-autonomous enough to make your commute less stressful and more enjoyable while also keeping you engaged in driving

I'm sure there's a word for it: interaction in which a car enjoys inflicting physical or mental suffering on the driver, who derives pleasure from experiencing it.

Perhaps the strongest argument for that MB did not mean to be this bad is that they did not give it's random failures a name (such as Attentive Driver Detector System)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: calisnow
So MB intentionally crippled their own system because it doesn't feel like humans are responsible enough to use it??? Wow... Just wow... I didn't know MB was big brother... What's the point of all of that sensor\camera\radar technology if you're going to cripple it???

Jeff

There aren't that many videos, but for example this German guy seems to be pretty satisfied with the system:
(4:40 & 9:00)

This shows the driving a bit better, unfortunately they guy didn't really understand he just had to touch the wheel and not actually take over. Later he gets it but had not 100% figured out a little touch every 1-2min is enough.

Really can't notice anything like
the E-Class struggled to even keep itself in a single lane — forget hopes of holding dead center.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
There aren't that many videos, but for example this German guy seems to be pretty satisfied with the system:
[...]

This shows the driving a bit better, unfortunately they guy didn't really understand he just had to touch the wheel and not actually take over. Later he gets it but had not 100% figured out a little touch every 1-2min is enough.

The article said:
On a straight, well-marked freeway, following traffic ahead, the system worked great. However, as soon as lane markings on either side became too hard to read or simply dropped away, Steering Pilot would cut out — sans warning.

I guess roads in Germany are better than in USA.

Last edited:
So MB intentionally crippled their own system because it doesn't feel like humans are responsible enough to use it??? Wow... Just wow... I didn't know MB was big brother... What's the point of all of that sensor\camera\radar technology if you're going to cripple it???

Jeff
This strikes me as wildly implausible. I think the obvious state of things at MB is that their system kinda sucks due to weak software. There's absolutely no plausible way that they crippled their lane keeping, it's just that their lane keeping isn't that good.

Reactions: GSP and calisnow
...Really can't notice anything like

My theory is that European roads are much better maintained than American roads - better markings. Teslas are built in California - which has some of the worst roads in the United States (our state doesn't spend enough $ maintaining our roads). And so, perhaps the neural networks Tesla trains are forced to learn on much worse data - and can thus handle worse conditions.

I see you say you are from Germany - if you have not yet been to California you cannot imagine how poor our roads are here.

One more data point on European-developed autonomous cars - Volvo. There is another article a few months ago which states that the CEO of Volvo was in Los Angeles recently, demonstrating a self driving Volvo to our city's mayor and a reporter. The reporter wrote that the Volvo kept making mistakes until finally the CEO actually lost his temper and shouted to L.A.'s mayor "Why don't you paint your bloody roads!"

Yeah I just watched the video you linked to in 1080P - in California we can only dream of beautiful highways of the quality of that video. On many sections of our super highways the lane markings are faded, discolored, moved, etc.

Really, the only indication the car wasn't steering anymore was that the little steering wheel icon on the instrument display would go from green back to grey. If I didn't notice this because I was paying attention to the road ahead, like I am supposed to, I could suddenly and rapidly find the car drifting out of its lane.

This can't be serious. He must have misunderstood something. Right...?

However, as soon as lane markings on either side became too hard to read or simply dropped away, Steering Pilot would cut out — sans warning.

Really, the only indication the car wasn't steering anymore was that the little steering wheel icon on the instrument display would go from green back to grey. If I didn't notice this because I was paying attention to the road ahead, like I am supposed to, I could suddenly and rapidly find the car drifting out of its lane. This happened to me several times over the two days I tested it."

This is the scary part. No warning or notification when it cuts out?

In aviation we always make very explicit turnovers, so each pilot always knows who is in charge of the airplane. With an Autosteering system and/or Adaptive Cruise Control, it seems like this is really important to make happen in the car, too. Tesla gave us some clear tone and IP messages, at least.[/QUOTE]

(4:40 & 9:00)

MB screens don't show what the car's autopilot is detecting. Quite scary IMO. Tesla's autopilot on the other hand shows this very clearly.