Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Electricity Bill since purchasing the tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder what is the theoretical break-even for an ICE car vs a EV. Because California will probably approach it in the next few years if their ~20% rate increase goes in on top of the other increases they'll probably impose for the helluvit over the next few years.

Like if electricity hits $0.70 per kWh, does that kind of wash out as equivalent to 300 miles on gasoline? A reasonably economical 4 cylinder sedan getting 25mpg vs an EV with a 300 mile range on 75 kWh?
This is a really easy calculation if you know the wall-to-wheels efficiency:

EV: Wall-to-wheels Wh/mi * $/Wh. (Something like 300Wh/mi*$0.7/kWh = 21 cents/mi for your example)

Gas: Price per gallon / MPG. (16 cents/mi for your example assuming $4 per gallon.)

Regarding the high cost of electricity at peak rates, note that much lower rates will likely continue to be available at night for most owners. However they are likely to push AC use into higher marginal rates for some plans (there are so many ways plans can be written) so it would potentially hurt owners without solar production.

This is a really easy calculation if you know the wall-to-wheels efficiency:

EV: Wall-to-wheels Wh/mi * $/Wh. (Something like 300Wh/mi*$0.7/kWh = 21 cents/mi for your example)

Gas: Price per gallon / MPG. (16 cents/mi for your example assuming $4 per gallon.)

Regarding the high cost of electricity at peak rates, note that much lower rates will likely continue to be available at night for most owners. However they are likely to push AC use into higher marginal rates for some plans (there are so many ways plans can be written) so it would potentially hurt owners without solar production.

Yeah, I just wonder what a gallon of 87 octane will be in about 5 years. Like I just filled up 91 at $4.90 ... eeek. EIA data for a gallon of 87 from 2010 to 2015 was what... $3.60 per gallon? I think electricity costs could easily butt into a B/E with gasoline out here in California around $4.50.

My marginal cost of Summertime electricity on my tiered rates in 2019 was over $0.52 per kWh (that is, every kWh of energy I added on top of my household consumption would drive the per kWh usage into the higher tiers. And PG&E's EV rates are straight up trash.

I kind of wonder how badly EV drivers in Northern California get hosed if they switch over to PG&E's EV2A time of use plan if they don't have massively oversized solar arrays. Yes, the off-peak charging is low for the EV, but the peak time marginal energy balloons to like $0.52 under my CCA plan. That could drive switching to EV upwards to a marginal $0.70 kWh overall home-energy-peak-time cost on the increased EV consumption in the household through 2025.

I got Powerwalls joined with Solar so I could avoid this time of use issue and basically lock in EV charging at the lower off-peak EV rate. I can't put more solar on this house since it won't fit. But that all took an inordinate amount of planning and those Powerwalls are expensive as hell. EV's in California just drive up the home energy bill so much I wonder how many people really see significant savings without "free charging at work" or some malarkey.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life