Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Electricity Bill since purchasing the tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too much colateral damage potential if done too fast and without a plan.

You might sway the upper middle and middle class into buying a new EV sooner but lower income folks that “make too much” to qualify for the usual safety nets will suffer.

Short term suffer, yes. Long term we’d all be better off.

It would be a sacrifice for the greater good.

Just saying there needs to be a good plan in place before anything of the sort is put into effect.

Plenty of people out there with blue collar jobs who can only afford to gas up $20 at a time (In their older to late model fossil cars) and precisely the ones who will feel the most pain at the same time as not being able to do anything about it. (like buy a new EV)

Back on topic though: If peak rates are as high as .50c/kw in CA then wouldn’t folks save money going instead to a supercharger?

Just saying there needs to be a good plan in place before anything of the sort is put into effect.

Plenty of people out there with blue collar jobs who can only afford to gas up $20 at a time (In their older to late model fossil cars) and precisely the ones who will feel the most pain at the same time as not being able to do anything about it. (like buy a new EV)

Yeah, I guess too bad for those living on islands and along the coast?!? Does it cost more or less than $20 a week to hold the ocean back?

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
So what was everyone's experience when it comes to looking at your Electricity bill the first month?

I purchased my Tesla on 12/17 and just got my first electricity bill and I have to admit I'm a little shocked. No pun intended.

My previous bill I used 657 kwh and was charged $106.07. My current months bill in which i charged for only 19/33 days of the billing cycle. I used 1452 kwh and was charged $236.99. My work only has a level 1 charger so I don't use it as often as I should. I have also super charged 2-3 times and only drove the car for about 950 miles during that time frame.

Does this sound right or does something not make sense? I know I wouldn't have spent $130 in gas for 950 miles.

No, this doesnt make sense. Assuming all your charging was done at home, this comes to 836 Wh/mile, which is way too high even in winter. The car gets about 250--350 Wh/mile in summer, up to 30% less in winter. Even allowing for charging losses and Sentry mode, that is still way off what you are seeing -- and that is before making allowance for the Supercharger. Something doesnt add up here. Either something is very wrong with the car or something else is also using a lot more power in your home.

That is not a good webpage to use. I live on Long Island, where electric rates are 19.5 cents per KwH, yet upstate NY is around 12 cents, so saying New York has one rate is completely inaccurate. It would be better if it had EVERY rate in the country.

I think we should start a thread on people's rates, along with possible metered rates.

I don't know anyone in their right mind who would use PSE&G Long Island's time of use rate. I can't see how anyone would save money. Flat rate is 19.5 cents per KwH. If I went with their time of use rates, it would be 15 cents for 7pm-2pm and a WHOPPING 47 cents between 2pm-7pm in summer. In winter is it the same 15 cents of off-peak and 23 cents for peak.

I can easily set my car for off peak charging, along with dryer but we eat dinner before 7pm, so the oven, toaster over and microwave would be almost triple the rate.

If only they can give me a comparison of what my bill is and what it would look like with the time of use rates. I don't want to have to keep track myself. I'm lazy.

I'm on long island also. Trying to figure out our actual electric rate is almost impossible. They charge us random fees so they can claim the rate is lower than it is. It's somewhere around .20 kwh.

Again I am not seeing much cost savings compare to gas. Starting this Monday I will be driving my commute and tracking my kwh charged and miles driven for the 5 days. I won't be using sentry mode and I won't preheat even though I remote start my gas vehicle also so not really fair. I'm using a meter on the outlet so my kwh used is not based on what the car says it's actually what it pulled out of the wall overnight.

I'm on long island also. Trying to figure out our actual electric rate is almost impossible. They charge us random fees so they can claim the rate is lower than it is. It's somewhere around .20 kwh.

Again I am not seeing much cost savings compare to gas. Starting this Monday I will be driving my commute and tracking my kwh charged and miles driven for the 5 days. I won't be using sentry mode and I won't preheat even though I remote start my gas vehicle also so not really fair. I'm using a meter on the outlet so my kwh used is not based on what the car says it's actually what it pulled out of the wall overnight.

I drive a Bolt EV Premier... I am not in freezing weather, but I have stopped heating/preheating the car... I just use the seat heater and heated steering wheel.

Europe has more rational gasoline prices that are in line with what they really should be globally. It irritates my wife especially (economics major in college) how the gasoline in the United States is so artificially subsidized that Americans get spoiled this messed up idea that $2.XX per gallon is normal pricing. It's not. It really should be about $4 to $5 per gallon. And if it were, Americans wouldn't be such idiots in carelessly wasting it and would actually care about efficiency for a change and would consider more fuel efficient vehicles, like Europe does.

My electricity is mostly produced from gas. Powerplants on long island are running turbine engines. Electricity will go up with the price of gas here.

We don't have nuclear power or solar or wind. Ironically we have a nuclear power plant that never opened because of protestors and we get charged for it in our electric bills. It's interesting.

Shoreham’s Continuing High Costs and Impact - NYAREA

Scouting Long Island’s Decommissioned Nuclear Power Plant

My electricity is mostly produced from gas. Powerplants on long island are running turbine engines. Electricity will go up with the price of gas here.

We don't have nuclear power or solar or wind. Ironically we have a nuclear power plant that never opened because of protestors and we get charged for it in our electric bills. It's interesting.

Shoreham’s Continuing High Costs and Impact - NYAREA

Scouting Long Island’s Decommissioned Nuclear Power Plant

New article on new power generation.

US Electricity: Solar Up 15%, Wind Up 9% | CleanTechnica

and soon maybe good bye natural gas too.

The New Coal-Killing Energy Storage Challenge Will Ding Nat Gas

Europe has more rational gasoline prices that are in line with what they really should be globally. It irritates my wife especially (economics major in college) how the gasoline in the United States is so artificially subsidized that Americans get spoiled this messed up idea that $2.XX per gallon is normal pricing. It's not. It really should be about $4 to $5 per gallon. And if it were, Americans wouldn't be such idiots in carelessly wasting it and would actually care about efficiency for a change and would consider more fuel efficient vehicles, like Europe does.
I think in some states it is 4-5$. California?
But this is still very cute:) In Europe the price hovers around 1.5-2$ per liter which is about 6-10$ per gallon. In Norway and Netherlands it is even more.

The claim of 14.97 cents/kWh for residential in CA is pure fantasy. Many of the major utilities in CA also are expensive. It also claims the year before it was 15.66 cents/kWh in Oct 2018. Ha! PG&E mucks with their rates ALL the time (every few months). They're not on the downward direction and generally in the upward direction.

I'm sure its some sort of state wide average. My rates are about 2 cents higher than they claim too.

• Disagree
Reactions: cwerdna
I would want enough powerwalls to run this place in times of PG&E distress. That would be 4 or 5. If I can't live off grid when PG&E covers their butts, I won't bother.

We're doing some major renovations and putting (estimated) 15,113 kWh / year on the roof and then due to the repeated PG&E fiascos went with 2 LG batteries (rated at 9.8kWh each)

The house is lit with LED lights and other measures like that to be a low-draw house. We will have it set up so 5 (I think) circuits can feed from the battery when PG&E goes down which is a good bit of the important things, but excluding electric stove top etc. Also they said it can be set up to run those circuits from battery in peak hours regardless, at a max % of battery drain since PG&E is allowed to pay less for power these days.

You might find that it takes less juice than you think to survive PG&E, especially with some planning.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: eevee-fan and KJD
I’m excited to see how this turns out for me when my model 3 comes in. I’ve tracked electric usage for the past ten years of my home. I have pretty consistent usage. Now I can charge at work, but plans are come July/Aug will be buying the wife a Y. Though I only pay 5.3 cents per kWh. No peak time difference it’s that price 24/7/365 I’m really interested in seeing how it will effect the electric usage. Not so much because of price, but more because next year plan to get solar and power walls. I also just enjoy tracking stuff have tracked mpg of all my cars since I was able to drive.. will be fun tracking electric usage of driving the car as well..

Reactions: KJD
$0.13 per kWh?! I just got my first (post Tesla) PG&E bill and realized that I am paying (generation and transmission) around $.38 per kWh. This is in the winter!

In the summer I will pay over $.50 per kWh as we always go into "excessive" use tiers. That's about $.10/mile by your calculations. I guess it will cost us if we want to go green!:)
why is your Kwh chg so high?