Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Road Trip with Model Suggestions??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1st Road Trip in the S from Wash Dc to Hilton Head SC with the Family next week. Any suggestions on the following:

1. Any interior storage for back seats - my kids will need some for books and stuff? Something that could be used on back of front seats likes pouches would be useful

2. Charging @ relatives house - no nema chargers @ relatives house, should I just plug up to a standard outlet??

2. Charging @ relatives house - no nema chargers @ relatives house, should I just plug up to a standard outlet??
You might ask your relatives if they have a 5-20 outlet available. I think most garages built in the past 20-30 years have 5-20 outlets or wiring for 5-20 outlets (and you could easily swap out a 5-15 outlet if the wiring and breakers are sufficient). If they do have 5-20 outlets, you could pick up a 5-20 adapter from your Service Center. That would allow you to get 4-5 miles per hour instead of the usual 3 mph. We used 5-20 at my mom's while visiting Reno and the Gigafactory grand opening last year. The new Supercharger in town was swamped with all the Teslas visiting from California so we used a 5-20 outlet to charge before heading out of town and Supercharging in Lovelock.

Tesla — NEMA 5-20

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KidDoc
I installed netted pouches on my seat backs. We store all of the kids books and accessories there. Installing it took 45 minutes for both. It's permanent but looks great. I'll post photos later. They hold a ton and are holding up nicely. I'm actually not sure where I got them but they were less than 100 bucks.

I recommend against using the tire sealant unless you are going to get a new tire. It will destroy the tire and the tire pressure sensor, and is a temporary fix.

I carry a small 12v pump and the cheap tire repair kit that uses the plugs. I have used it once and works great. Find the leak, pull out the nail or screw or whatever, insert the plug, then pump tire up to pressure. Works great, last the life of tire, and will not damage the sensor. You can fix your tire and be on your way long before a tow truck or assistance can show up.

Xtra Seal 15-011 - Tire Repair Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Keep this in the car, Tesla — Tire Repair Kit.

If you get a flat fast leak, this will get you to the next tire repair shop.
If it's a slow leak, you can fill up on the spot, and drive and possibly save the tire.

The other option is towing, which may cost quite a bit esp. if you are far away.

Reactions: croman