Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Site Visit Tomorrow with Tesla - Any Advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking through the forums and think I understand everything. I have a site visit tomorrow with Tesla is there anything you would recommend I discuss with them?

Here's my install: 8.16kw system 24 panels of Q-Cells and the solar edge inverter (at least that was in their initial layout e-mail).

Roof is basically full sun but do I need or should I ask for power optimizers?

It's a concrete tile roof (assuming they will use the Zep mounting system) any other tips/tricks that you all would do differently based on my install/layout?

Thanks for the advice.

Good question unfortunately I don't have an answer. I just called them up yesterday and my advisor recommended a sit visit to go through the roof and other stuff. I'm not sure why my house needed one and yours didn't. Maybe it's a location thing? I'm located in Southern California.

The person who did the site visit said he was just there to take photos and send them back to the engineering team. I discussed with him certain things I was looking for and that never got communicated back or no action was taken.

My lead installer says you can ask for the installer to walk the job with you ahead of time (I assume after the job has been scheduled). That is probably more effective than talking to the person doing the site visit. Or if you have issues with the panel layout, working with Tesla via phone/email.

question......what calls for a site visit??? I have a install date but they never once mentioned a site visit before install. I've seen a few people mention on here that they had site visits.

I believe a driver is the size and complexity of your project. I had a large 12kW system installed covering 5 different sections of my roof. I also had trees, flat roof section, and concrete tiles.

A 4kW system going on a single south facing roof with no obstructions probably wouldn't get a site visit.

It may also have to do with the location. Either preferences of the install team, or maybe even requirements by certain permitting authorities. I had an extra large (48 panel) system with 4 powerwalls installed in June in Florida with no site visit. The first time someone from Tesla energy stepped onto my property was install day.

I had an on site visit last Tuesday. No follow up, no action taken. Called and asked what's going on, do I need a panel upgrade, etc., and they basically had no answer? I asked for some changes to the initial layout now that they've been here and seen the roof, and they said they'll look into it, expect it to take a week. Still don't have a direct contact or advisor. Pretty lax, Tesla.

I had an on site visit last Tuesday. No follow up, no action taken. Called and asked what's going on, do I need a panel upgrade, etc., and they basically had no answer? I asked for some changes to the initial layout now that they've been here and seen the roof, and they said they'll look into it, expect it to take a week. Still don't have a direct contact or advisor. Pretty lax, Tesla.

For us, I took them a few weeks for them to review the site report and see if they need to make any changes and come up with the final design for the Solarroof plus Powerwall. Our site visit took approx 4 hours and involved looking inside every electrical, crawling around the attic to measuring structural elements. He even opened up the PG&E box while it was still live.

For us, I took them a few weeks for them to review the site report and see if they need to make any changes and come up with the final design for the Solarroof plus Powerwall. Our site visit took approx 4 hours and involved looking inside every electrical, crawling around the attic to measuring structural elements. He even opened up the PG&E box while it was still live.

Yeah ours was a few hours too, looked at all electrical. Good to hear (I guess) it took them "a few weeks" - a little communication on their side would help!

Yeah ours was a few hours too, looked at all electrical. Good to hear (I guess) it took them "a few weeks" - a little communication on their side would help!

They are a large operation and people have set jobs. The inspectors inspect. The installers install. The final inspection guy puts the final stickers on the gear and smooches with the local inspectors to get a signoff in 10 minutes or less.

Also, it is a volume operation keeping prices low by installing a lot of sites fast. If they hit too many snags they will just terminate the project abruptly and move on. it is nothing personal, it is business.

They are a large operation and people have set jobs. The inspectors inspect. The installers install. The final inspection guy puts the final stickers on the gear and smooches with the local inspectors to get a signoff in 10 minutes or less.

Also, it is a volume operation keeping prices low by installing a lot of sites fast. If they hit too many snags they will just terminate the project abruptly and move on. it is nothing personal, it is business.
I agree, though I still think they could improve the experience by setting expectations. It could be as simple as saying "we are a bit busy right now in the design department and expect it will take 3 weeks to review and provide an updated design." Ideally, they would provide some sort of portal where you could actually see the status of your project and expected dates for next steps. They have something incredibly basic right now that only shows what step you are in, but it is not rocket science (and if it is, they know somebody who can help) to implement something more detailed. They should have a pretty good sense of their load and timelines, and they can always pad the schedules a couple of days to avoid customers calling about overdue items.

The savings for Tesla would be in less time with customers calling in trying to figure out their status, and possibly in fewer customers canceling and more serving as references. Additionally, to the extent they don't already have this for internal use, it should improve workflow on their end.

Yeah mine's ended up being less than 2 hours. The guy that came out took a bunch of pics and climbed up into the crawl space/attic to check out the rafters. Then he brought out a big stick with an old school digital camera attached to it and grabbed some better pics of the roof layout. I was a little surprised and told him I expected they would all come with a mini drone or something to get up there and take pics/video. He just chuckled and said that makes total sense.

Yeah mine's ended up being less than 2 hours. The guy that came out took a bunch of pics and climbed up into the crawl space/attic to check out the rafters. Then he brought out a big stick with an old school digital camera attached to it and grabbed some better pics of the roof layout. I was a little surprised and told him I expected they would all come with a mini drone or something to get up there and take pics/video. He just chuckled and said that makes total sense.

When they were doing the install of the SolarRoof the Tesla team flew a drone around at the end of every day.

I agree, though I still think they could improve the experience by setting expectations. It could be as simple as saying "we are a bit busy right now in the design department and expect it will take 3 weeks to review and provide an updated design." Ideally, they would provide some sort of portal where you could actually see the status of your project and expected dates for next steps. They have something incredibly basic right now that only shows what step you are in, but it is not rocket science (and if it is, they know somebody who can help) to implement something more detailed. They should have a pretty good sense of their load and timelines, and they can always pad the schedules a couple of days to avoid customers calling about overdue items.

The savings for Tesla would be in less time with customers calling in trying to figure out their status, and possibly in fewer customers canceling and more serving as references. Additionally, to the extent they don't already have this for internal use, it should improve workflow on their end.

Agreed. Although in my dealings with everyone on solar the timelines have been widely optimistic. Our roof and Powerwalls were commissioned in April. Still waiting for permission to operate. At least the City and Tesla finally got their act together and got the final inspection done 3 weeks ago. Now we are at the mercy of PG&E's internal schedules. We were told 5-10 days, now on Day 15.

Last edited:
Agreed. Although in my dealings with everyone on solar the timelines have been widely optimistic. Our roof and Powerwalls were commissioned in April. Still waiting for permission to operate. At least the City and Tesla finally got their act together and got the final inspection done 3 weeks ago. Now we are at the mercy of PG&E's internal schedules
Only so much they can do with government/utility approvals, but I feel like they can set good schedules for their steps and also show at a more granular level when internal steps are complete. I know, for example, that I called several times to Tesla because it was unclear if all the documentation had gotten to the county and then the utility, because both of their portals were not showing those statuses. Had Tesla showed these things, it would have cut down on those interactions.

Well great site visit. Guy was very thorough and professional. Went up on the roof to check condition of it to make sure it’s OK to install. My house has a 35 year old so going it passes inspection. If not I guess I have to convince my wife to go for a solar roof instead.

Hi Yeah roof is currently 35 years old. I'm told it passed inspection although I am a little concerned that once I do solar I'll start having leaks since it is such an old concrete tile roof.

The feedback from site visit was that I need a couple of breakers but otherwise all of it is good. Attached is my layout!

Attachments

• Inked8-24-2020 2-19-08 PM_LI.jpg
    Inked8-24-2020 2-19-08 PM_LI.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 127