Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I just lost a post. This may be a duplicate.

Are AD08s still available? I called the Tire Rack and was told they were replaced by AD08Rs.

I had AD07s and two sets of AD08s for my rear tires and got 6000 miles on each set. My last set was AD08Rs and I only got 4000 miles. No difference in handling I could tell. I thought they all performed great--really didn't perceive any difference between them.

I got 12.5k out of my AD07 rears and 15.5k out of my AD08's. I'm a very aggressive driver, corner hard, brake hard, regen hard and accelerate fast. Thing is at the red lights I don't punch it, I allow the wheels to get rolling then punch it. From what I believe that's where much of the wheel spin / friction wear comes from where the TC is trying to negotiate with the wheel spin. One thing to note, these tires get VERY sticky when the temp rises, say 85+ degrees. With that they'll wear down quicker.

The AD08R is the newer compound. They said the R compound (orange oil based) has better traction than the previous AD08 tire. I'll see how many miles I'll get out of the R series since that's what I'm running now on the back:

The NEW ADVAN Neova AD08R Orange Oil rubber compound tyre is here | News Blog

Last edited:
It started raining around here and my 1.5 is unhappy on the freeway.

Currently running Toyo Proxy R888 tires all round - 195 on the front with 4/32 tread left and 225 on the rear with 3/32 tread left.

These are essentially slicks with just enough grooves to make them DOT legal.

toyo_proxes_r888_ci2_l.jpg

The reason they don't work well in the rain is that they can't evacuate the water efficiently, and so they hydroplane in the deeper puddles.

I've got the A048's on my Roadster right now and they're basically the same. You have to be careful driving them in the rain. They're meant to be high performance dry pavement tires; they have some ability to be driven in the rain, but they're not exactly great at it.

Rain? Hey, could you send some this way? 80 degrees and sunny here at Thanksgiving. For dinner we put our dining table on the patio looking at the ocean. Nice. But at night it was so warm we left our bedroom windows open --and the sound of the surf kept me awake at night! :)

When I bought the car I was told it was required to put the petal to the metal at all stoplights. Even doing that, I never have been able to make the wheels spin. I like to aim for 0.70G on the VDS--but only occasionally make that. Anyhow, it is sure fun to leave Corvettes, Ferraris, Porsches, etc. at the light and be gone with no noise at all! I'll take fewer miles on a set of tires for the fun of that!

Time for new tires - front & rear, and need to hear from the "experts" before I purchase. I have a 2.0 Roadster which is a "play car" which means no rain. I also JUST finished taking the Fast Lane two day high performance driving class - so I would like to do some more track racing (Willow Springs, Buttonwillow). I'm was thinking MPSS 195/45/16 front, 225/45/17 back. The questions I have (reading the last 8 pages of comments) is should I go with 235's in the back? If so, what ratio (45/40/??), what other tire should I consider, what about wheel alignment spec's?

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

I too have arrived at time for new tires for my 2.5 Sport. I've been using the Yoko 07s in front / 08r's in back, but since its front and back change time, I'm thinking now is the time to shift to something completely new. I've also been thinking about the Pilot Super Sports, but nailing down the specific tire dimension for the front wheels has been tough for me (I've spent some time looking forward and backward in the thread - I know its in here somewhere, but I'm not yet finding it).

Anybody running MPSS front and back that can help me be sure and get it right? At least Tire Rack's "tires for your car" app says you can't get there from here (no Michelin tires for the Roadster).

My needs are decidedly less performance oriented, though I do aspire to a performance driving school at some point. This is the daily driver and will continue being driven through the winter where it'll need to deal with rain (the Yokos have been excellent for me through the Portland winters) - but no need to worry about snow.

Edit:
More reading, and now its looking like folks are doing AD07's in the front and MPSS in the rear. Am I understanding that correctly? I'm wanting to try something with better wear on the rears than the 08's - I've been happy with them, but changing tires every 6-9k miles - I'd like something cheaper, and from what I've read, the MPSS looks like a little better mileage and a little less expense for those rear tires I've been eating like candy :)

Last edited:
Edit:
More reading, and now its looking like folks are doing AD07's in the front and MPSS in the rear. Am I understanding that correctly? I'm wanting to try something with better wear on the rears than the 08's - I've been happy with them, but changing tires every 6-9k miles - I'd like something cheaper, and from what I've read, the MPSS looks like a little better mileage and a little less expense for those rear tires I've been eating like candy :)

I've gone through 3 sets of MPSS on the rear with AD07s on the front. Be sure to have all the paperwork validated for the warranty when you get them installed. The MPSS have a treadware guarantee of 15k miles. My first set was replaced by Michelin for almost nothing. The two sets combined lasted for about 18k miles.

I was recently at a car event with several Lotus Elise owners. Most of them had AD07s in front and various things in back, mostly AD08r. I asked a few of them what other choices we had for the front. The general consensus was that everything but the AD07 involved compromises. Some people have tried different rim sizes with limited success.

I've gone through 3 sets of MPSS on the rear with AD07s on the front. Be sure to have all the paperwork validated for the warranty when you get them installed. The MPSS have a treadware guarantee of 15k miles. My first set was replaced by Michelin for almost nothing. The two sets combined lasted for about 18k miles.

I was recently at a car event with several Lotus Elise owners. Most of them had AD07s in front and various things in back, mostly AD08r. I asked a few of them what other choices we had for the front. The general consensus was that everything but the AD07 involved compromises. Some people have tried different rim sizes with limited success.

Great point (that I forgot about). My first set of MPSS lasted about 8k miles and was also replaced under warranty at a large discount.

I'm on my 3rd set of MPSS on the rear. Last set lasted 12k miles. Most (>85%) of my miles are highway.

I still have the original AD07s on the front (~32k miles on them). I plan to replace them next time I replace rears.

And to be clear - the front replacement will be a new set of AD07's, correct? I'm at 30k total miles and I believe the fronts are the originals - maybe this isn't the round when the fronts get changed, what with the summer coming on and all.

18k miles for approximately the price of 1 pair of tires sounds like heaven :) Even more miles than that sounds nearly unbelievable. And new pads and rotors coming soon too - it's like its gonna be a new car.

Strider, have you chosen the Toyo R1R, last time you changed tires?
I'm seriously considering 195's in front and 225's back. Several Lotus drivers are very fond of them, particularly because they handle like the AD07's in dry but have much better grip when wet. As an added bonus I hope the 195's in front will reduce the understeer. So, in short, I'm very much looking forward to some real-life experience with those on a RS :) Thx!

I needed to replace my rear tires that came with the car when I got it last year. I was going to go with the Yokohama AD07 from Tire rack but after reading through the thread I ended up getting the Michelin Super Sport from a local tire store. It was only $135 per tire.
It has great grip and I can feel the road much better. Plus it is amazingly quite compared to the Toyo Proxes that were on there.

I replaced my rear OE Yoko's at 16k miles. I got the MSS which now have 9k miles and only 1/32" left. The fronts are still at 4/32". I ordered another pair of MSS for (as others have said) next to nothing. I noticed on Tire Racks website the Yoko's 07's are on sale. $508.38 FOR ALL FOUR!!!!:-o Incredible price. I ordered a set of those too.

I replaced my rear OE Yoko's at 16k miles. I got the MSS which now have 9k miles and only 1/32" left. The fronts are still at 4/32". I ordered another pair of MSS for (as others have said) next to nothing. I noticed on Tire Racks website the Yoko's 07's are on sale. $508.38 FOR ALL FOUR!!!!:-o Incredible price. I ordered a set of those too.

How on Earth did you get 16k miles on your rear OEM Yoko 07s? I think I got, like, 4k on my first set.

When ordering the Yoko's now, are you concerned with storage issues? I've had tires dry out when sitting in storage for too long. Maybe the MPSS will not last long so the Yokos won't be stored for more than about a year?

Looks like tirerack has the fronts AD07 on closeout pricing for $100 a tire! Cheapest I've seen. Search by size 175-55-16 and you will see 2 listings for the yoko ad07. I believe they are the exact same tire, the OEM Lotus one is at 108 a tire and the other listing shows at 100 each.

Any information on the 3.0 upgrade as far as the specific replacement tires?
I am in the same situation as zgames on bald right rear tire, both rear tires needing replacement along with front tires on 2010 Roadster 2.5.
I live south of Houston, normally averaging 80 - 98 degree +.
This will be my third set of rear tires including the original set, Roadster now has just over 20K miles total.
I have paid $750. per set through Tesla twice, but will have Discount Tires replace them this time around.
Planning on replacing the rear tires with the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08, 225/45 R17 91W SL BSW at $225. EA., which should give a quieter ride, with the same tire ratings as originals.
Front tires will be Yokohama ADVAN Neova Ado7 LTS,175/55 R16 80W SL BSW , $239 EA. same as the originals.
Many of the tire replacement threads I've read suggest Michelin Super Sports on the rear and Yoko ADVAN AD07 on the front.
Will that have any negative effects on the Roadster or its tire pressure monitor system with the Michelin SS on rear.
Anyone have any suggestions based on experience, before I make the purchase?
Thanks,
Dean412​

Last edited by Dean412; Today at 03:37 PM.​

My car is a 1.5 with its second set of AD08s on the rear after the original AD07s. On the front, replaced the original AD07s with new ones in conjunction with the second set of AD08s on the rear. I've crossed 40K now, and it is close to time for new rears again. I'd like to know about the 3.0 tire plans.

If you take a look on the EU tire label For AD08

1-F-B-75-3.png

And insted take a look on Pirelli Cinturato P7 Blue

1-A-A-71-2.png

or Dunlop Sport BluResponse

1-B-A-69-1.png

The diffrence in roll restance much lower on them and sound is lower to
Some of the ides to change tires for 3,0 update

Last edited:
If you take a look on the EU tire label For AD08

And insted take a look on Pirelli Cinturato P7 Blue

or Dunlop Sport BluResponse

The diffrence in roll restance much lower on them and sound is lower to
Some of the ides to change tires for 3,0 update

Interesting. I always thought the AD07 and AD08 were low rolling resistance tires. I must have had wrong info. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is LRR. Where can we find these EU tire labels online?