Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I always thought the AD07 and AD08 were low rolling resistance tires. I must have had wrong info. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is LRR. Where can we find these EU tire labels online?

Possibly its the LTS version of the Yokos that's low rolling resistance but haven't found any good info to back that up. Searches on the tire do come up with hits stating what you originally claimed and were discussed as that in earlier Roadster threads.

The LTS AD07's come out actually come out to be a G in the rolling resistance which I believe is the worse:

Tireset Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 LTS
Lotus - Yokohama AD07 Tyres LTS

2x Front tires in size: 175/55R16 80W
Rolling resistance: G, Wet grip: B, Noise emission: 71 dB (three beam)

http://moto-concept.de/en/tyres-yokohama-advan-neova-ad07-front-axle2

I found a link where they were pushing the "green" orange oil tire as good for the environment and it was for their AVID Ascend as well as other "related low rolling resistance" tires. I see nothing mentioned about the Neova that backs it up or classifies it as a low RR tire. And the orange oil didn't make it into the Neova line until the AD08R's.

Low Rolling Resistance Tire Primer - HybridCars.com

Last edited:
Interesting. I always thought the AD07 and AD08 were low rolling resistance tires. I must have had wrong info. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is LRR. Where can we find these EU tire labels online?

I found them on http://www.dackonline.se/

But side is on swedish
There is one english version for england on but don't rember the name
The comapy is german that sells tyres on line to hole EU

- - - Updated - - -

I have 195/50 16 Dunlop Sport BluResponse on front and on the rear Goodyear Asymetric F1 225/45/17 (must be changed real soon more or less worn out totaly)
I took a tripp yeasterday on approx. 200 miles. I drived carefull from home and i had consumtion of 121 wh/km and on a average speed of 75 km/h
But back i drived not so carefull and still 138 wh/km in consuption on total the trip

In the UK the performance tyre Tesla recommended is Yokohama 048.

i understand that due to changing EU regulation, Yokohama has decided not to make the tyre compliant so from now on all 048s shipping state Not for road use.

Tesla tell me that they are working on what they will recommend instead.

They will forbiden for road use next year becase of to much sound emision

Crazy, In the US they are requiring electric cars to make more noise because they are too quite and in europe they are outlawing tires because they make too much noise..

One another note I have been running Hankook Ventus R-S3 tires on my 1.5 for a few months and love them. They grip wonderfully and fit with no issues.

205/45ZR-16 Hankook Ventus R-S3
255/40ZR-17 Hankook Ventus R-S3

Tire Rack test of the Yoko AD08r against 3 other tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=172

The Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A delivers civilized road manners and very good track handling, especially in the wet. The BFGoodrich g-Force Rival helps re-establish BFGoodrich in the Extreme Performance Summer category, with impressive dry handling. The Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R is equally impressive with a very strong combination of dry and wet traction. The Dunlop Direzza ZII is noteworthy, too, with very responsive handling and excellent traction, but trades off a little civility out on the road to get it.

With nearly 100 opinions averaged together, it was the BFGoodrich g-Force Rival that was liked by the largest group of drivers due to its overall handling composure, front end authority when carving down to the apex and big window of controllability when driving at, or just beyond, the limit. The next largest camp favored the crisp steering response and precise handling of the Dunlop Direzza ZII, which sliced through the transitions of the five-cone slalom and carved around the tight, 180-degree turn with relative ease. This tire's proficiency in these two areas helped it post the quickest average lap time of the test. Very close to the Dunlop in lap time was the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R, which displayed impressive overall handling and excellent braking traction (setting a new dry braking record in the process). The Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A rounded out the group with somewhat softer handling that was tolerant to big inputs and shrugged off small driving mistakes, which made it a little more comfortable to stretch out at the limit for some of our drivers.

Here in UK
I just changed my Yoki's for Dunlop Sport Blue response
Sport BluResponse – Dunlop Passenger Tires

I have a sport w adjustable suspension so nearest specs are:
Rear 225/45R17 94W
Front 195/50R16 84V

- VERY impressed - not quite as sticky as the yokis in the dry, but v close and much more feel/progression.
Added bonus: 67db (so MUCH quieter) and MUCh better rolling resistance score (B vs E)..

reviews:
Dunlop Sport BluResponse tyre review | Tyre reviews: best tyres 2014 | Auto Express
Dunlop Sport BluResponse review | Tyre reviews: best tyres 2015 | Auto Express

I was put on to these by Alexander Sims (BMW racing driver and roadster owner),
Oh and a set of 4 tyres cost £350 / $230 fitted.

Last edited:
Here in UK
I just changed my Yoki's for Dunlop Sport Blue response
Sport BluResponse – Dunlop Passenger Tires

I have a sport w adjustable suspension so nearest specs are:
Rear 225/45R17 94W
Front 195/50R16 84V

- VERY impressed - not quite as sticky as the yokis in the dry, but v close and much more feel/progression.
Added bonus: 67db (so MUCH quieter) and MUCh better rolling resistance score (B vs E)..

reviews:
Dunlop Sport BluResponse tyre review | Tyre reviews: best tyres 2014 | Auto Express
Dunlop Sport BluResponse review | Tyre reviews: best tyres 2015 | Auto Express

I was put on to these by Alexander Sims (BMW racing driver and roadster owner),
Oh and a set of 4 tyres cost £350 / $230 fitted.

My roadster will have same set up tomorrow
I have already the fronts
And shall change my rear tyres after the work today

Motor Trend had an article on MSN today titled 16 facts about the Tesla Model X on its unveiling to the public.
One of the facts stated was that the Model X P90 will have Michelin Pilot Super Sport Low Rolling Resistance tires mounted on it both front and rear.
285/35 R21 on front and 325/30 R21 on rear.
This may be an indication as to the brand (Michelin Pilot Super Sport) of Low Rolling Resistance tires Tesla is planning on using for the Roadster 3.0 upgrade.
The production Model X orginally had Continental Cross Contact tires on it according to the Motor Trend article and the Model X P90 came out with Michelin Pilot SS.

Interesting. TireRack only has the rear tire size, not the front. A review is here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=174 Not the lowest rolling resistance of the bunch.

Lots of us have tried this tire with good results. It performs better than the Yokos in the rain, it's lighter, cheaper, and lasts longer. The difference in mileage between it and the best tire was only about 1% which could easily be due to variables in the test. Too bad they don't make the front size.

I had the Michelin Pilot Super Sports mounted on the rear of our Roadster and the same original Yoko's mounted on the front today at Discount Tires.
Price with the use of ride match mounting of each wheel/tire($10.00 EA.) & without road hazard warranty, all four came to $917 out the door.
A quick trip up the freeway @ 78mph, proved to be a much quieter ride and great handling with no vibration, great ride.
Tesla has charged me $750 just for the replacement of the rear tires on two occasions in the past.

Lots of us have tried this tire with good results. It performs better than the Yokos in the rain, it's lighter, cheaper, and lasts longer. The difference in mileage between it and the best tire was only about 1% which could easily be due to variables in the test. Too bad they don't make the front size.

Agree. No one seems to make that odd front tire size. I couldn't even find the AD08 in the rear size on tire rack anymore either.
Think I will try the Super Sports for the rears this time around. Need all 4 tires for this time.

Thanks. Would people here recommend the Super Sports over the AD08s for rears and AD07 for fronts?

I may have said this somewhere already (maybe even in this thread?) but I switched from AD07s to AD08s and am on my 3rd set of SS (all rear only, as I still have the original AD07s on the front).

My opinion only, but I do not get the same grip in the dry out of the SS as with the AD07 or AD08, but it is good enough for me. I also believe the wet grip is better with the SS.

The lower cost (especially since it has a 15k warranty) and quieter ride more than make up for any performance hit, again IMHO and for how I drive. YMMV.

My opinion only, but I do not get the same grip in the dry out of the SS as with the AD07 or AD08, but it is good enough for me. I also believe the wet grip is better with the SS.

Interesting. Appears that the Yoko AD08 is considered an "Extreme" tire and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is considered a "Max" Tire. If they consider Extreme to be stickier than Max, that would back up what you're feeling between the two in terms of dry traction & grip. However the MPSS came in 1st with their testing which was conducted in both wet & dry conditions, the AD08 came in 3rd. They loved the grip the MPSS had in wet conditions like you also confirmed.

Comparison testing of tires by Car & Driver:
Monsters of Grip: Nine Summer-Performance Tires Tested - Comparison Test - Car and Driver

Yokohama AD08:
Monsters of Grip: Nine Summer-Performance Tires Tested Comparison Tests - Page 8 - Car and Driver

Michelin Pilot Super Sport:
Monsters of Grip: Nine Summer-Performance Tires Tested Comparison Tests - Page 10 - Car and Driver

Yokohama AD08
Service description: 91W*
UTQG tread-wear rating: 180 AA A*
Load: STANDARD
Performance category: EXTREME
Tread depth, in: 9/32
Price per tire: $199

Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Service description: (94Y)*
UTQG tread-wear rating: 300 AA A*
Load: EXTRA
Performance category: MAX