Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 / 2.5 Roadster / Roadster Sport Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toyo Proxes T1R

I've had a bit more road time with the T1R's. Here are some comments comparing them to the stock AD07's.

• They are quieter. With the hard top on, the wind noise fix in place, and the T1R's the car is noticeably quieter at highway speeds. For the first time I've noticed there's a low whirr to the gearbox while cruising, which I've previously only noticed while decelerating.
  • I haven't noticed a difference on acceleration.
  • Cornering behavior is a bit different. The AD07's held forever, and then if you overdid it they really let go. You can feel the T1R's start to slip a little bit when you push them hard, which gives you some warning that you're approaching the limit. My sense is that the AD07's could be pushed a bit farther, but you're less likely to break loose the T1R's because you'll actually know when you're close to the limit.
  • T1R's work pretty well on a wet road. I did manage to make them slip once in a hard braking maneuver, but it was just momentary and amounted to a few feet.

Overall I have to give them a thumbs up!

Can someone post exactly what you need to tell the tire shop how to install the new tires? I know it has to be lifted at certain points to not ruin the car. Does any special tool need to be used to take the tires off? Thanks.

I called two local tire stores, who checked with their distributors. They both told me the same thing. However, I have not asked Toyo directly, and that tire is still listed on their website.

I just checked all the Toyo's for sports cars. With T1R eliminated, the only tires left in the 195/50R16 size are the Proxes R888 and the Proxes 4... unless they quietly eliminated those as well without updating their website.

Problem is that here (Texas) most of our roads are concrete. According to another thread here, concrete wears through tires quickly (when compared to smooth asphalt). I went through my 1st set of rears quickly, and I wasn't even driving on them that hard. I will need a lot of tires over the life of this car. We'll see how long my Proxes R888 last, if it isn't long, I might dabble with the Proxes 4.

I recently put Proxes 4 on the rear of my 2.0 Roadster.

Pro:

About half the price of the stock AD07's installed; but should last 3x as long. (This is why I did it: I'm cheap. And lazy; I don't want to keep changing the rear tires)

A little softer and quieter than the stock tires (not a lot)

Con:

Despite having the same grip rating as the AD07, they definitely don't grip as well. The TC light comes on more than it did with the old tires when it's wet; even sometimes when it's dry. That's in Standard mode, not Performance mode. I generally haven't even been putting it in performance mode (we've had an awful lot of rain since I got them). Once I even saw the TC light come on when I lifted off the accelerator and regen started. Another owner that put them on a 1.5 said that's common on his car, but Tesla told him it shouldn't happen on 2.0 and later.

[Edit 8/1/2011: now that the weather is drier--and the tires are older?--things are better. I still get the TC light every now and then, but not very often in Standard mode. Sometimes not even in Performance mode.]

The car darts slightly back and forth when I'm on rough pavement at high speed. I played with tire pressure in case the new tires had a different stiffness level; I think that helped a little, but I suspect the big problem is that the front and rear have different tread patterns. I really should get the same tires all around. I am just not sure if I want to keep spinning my wheels with the Proxes 4, or go back to spending big for the AD07's.

[Edit: the darting is mostly not due to the tires; see my post below]

Last edited:
I just had my new rear AD07s delivered to me (in Canada) from Tire Rack. Apparently, Yokohama Canada only has one tire left. The Tire Rack experience was fast and easy. I'll get them installed locally next week.
For the winter, i used the Hankook IceBear, which have been good, but i see the traction control light frequently on both acceleration and regen.

The original AD07s lasted about 14,000 km.

David

I recently put Proxes 4 on the rear of my 2.0 Roadster.
[...]
The car darts slightly back and forth when I'm on rough pavement at high speed.

A quick follow-up on my experience with the Proxes 4's:

Tesla service looked at my car...they said everything looked OK, but they tightened the tie rods just in case...and now it drives much better. Still a little darting, but better. And the remaining darting is probably due to mismatched tire treads (AD07's still up front), not the Proxes 4's. So while they don't always grip under full acceleration, they are probably otherwise fine if you replace all four.

Last edited:
And the remaining darting is probably due to mismatched tire treads (AD07's still up front), not the Proxes 4's. So while they don't always grip under full acceleration, they are probably otherwise fine if you replace all four.

My Tesla Ranger recommended against mixing front and back tires. He said that differences in thermal expansion could confuse the traction control. So I switched all four to Toyo Proxes T1R.

I kept the front AD07's in case I ever want to switch back (e.g. my tires go obsolete just after I have them installed... grrr!!!)