Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.48.16 limits max autosteer speed to speed limit on local roads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Change coming. He is listening.
IMG_0395.jpg

What is too fast and who is to judge? I'm often driving winding roads alone without a leading car and found auto pilot to be quite helpful, even choosing to use it to limit my speed on purpose. There are a lot of bad drivers out there, why should I be penalized for their behavior, or am I one of those people?
Also don't forget when is feature was first released there was no speed restriction at all, I found that best.

What is too fast and who is to judge? I'm often driving winding roads alone without a leading car and found auto pilot to be quite helpful, even choosing to use it to limit my speed on purpose. There are a lot of bad drivers out there, why should I be penalized for their behavior, or am I one of those people?
Also don't forget when is feature was first released there was no speed restriction at all, I found that best.
I'll admit I've used auto pilot and taken over on purpose on some local roads, now the auto pilot takes them just fine. It slows down like I do when I take over. I thought it was supposed to learn. Worked great (learned from me, as I intended), just had to take some time to teach it.

I'll admit I've used auto pilot and taken over on purpose on some local roads, now the auto pilot takes them just fine. It slows down like I do when I take over. I thought it was supposed to learn. Worked great (learned from me, as I intended), just had to take some time to teach it.
I have driven 80 MPH roads that had sharp, 90 degree turns with curve limits of 35 MPH. I wanted to test the limits. The first time I tried it, I am sure AP would have launched me full speed into a field. I expected nothing less and was hovering, hand and foot, millimeters above the controls and took over well before it got unsafe. The last time I tried, same spot, AP slowed and took the turn pretty fast. I may have taken over, can't remember, but I think AP could/would have made it. Even though it slowed on its own this time, it was still unsafe without split second monitoring. A max speed of 85 versus 80 would have made no difference.
I hope I didn't contribute to the new restrictions. That was many months ago.

Last edited:
I repect Elon's point, even if I think it could be implemented better and more safely.

I really disapprove of this slowing down without warning behaviour, much though I don't want the car to bong all the time, even this would be better to give the drive 5 or 10 secs to knock it out of AP.
- talking of which why is there no way to go from AP to TACC without tugging at the wheel, surely there can be a way with the control stick (button on the end - at least for the later stalk type?).

If only there was a way to distinguish between winding road and non-divided roads with only gentle if any curves.
Have to assume that the map data/road classification, even steering angle/change of pitch/yaw/roll etc cannot be used reliably.

The problem here is that roads that are perfectly safe to use with AP are being incorrectly classified, if fundamentally is the prinicple is accepted (which I do) then Tesla have to improve the method of classification, please.

and lust in case Tesla really are scanning these threads
- a huge thankyou and Merry Christmas to Elon and all at Tesla for all your hard work in creating just the best cars on the road

It would be nice to get an email from Tesla as follows:

'Dear valued Tesla customer and Autopilot user,

We have made a change to the speed restriction of Autopilot on 'in-town' roads, where Autopilot is now restricted to the speed limit, instead of the previous 5mph over the speed limit. We have made this change because our data analysis has shown that this will be safer for most of our drivers where they choose to use Autopilot on 'in-town' roads.

We understand that it may be irritating for users who are accustomed to the previous behavior, but be assured we have everyone's best interests at heart. We are working on a further refinement to detect when most passing vehicles are indeed traveling at more than the speed limit on these 'in-town' roads, and when we detect this situation we will allow Autopilot to be set at the speed which will match the surrounding traffic. Please be patient while we implement and qualify this feature.

Autopilot behavior on freeways and major divided highways (which is the main use case for Autopilot) is unaffected in the latest release.

Thank you - Tesla'

.... but we didn't get the email....

• Love
Reactions: DrivingRockies
It would be nice to get an email from Tesla as follows:

'Dear valued Tesla customer and Autopilot user,

We have made a change to the speed restriction of Autopilot on 'in-town' roads, where Autopilot is now restricted to the speed limit, instead of the previous 5mph over the speed limit. We have made this change because our data analysis has shown that this will be safer for most of our drivers where they choose to use Autopilot on 'in-town' roads.

We understand that it may be irritating for users who are accustomed to the previous behavior, but be assured we have everyone's best interests at heart. We are working on a further refinement to detect when most passing vehicles are indeed traveling at more than the speed limit on these 'in-town' roads, and when we detect this situation we will allow Autopilot to be set at the speed which will match the surrounding traffic. Please be patient while we implement and qualify this feature.

Autopilot behavior on freeways and major divided highways (which is the main use case for Autopilot) is unaffected in the latest release.

Thank you - Tesla'

.... but we didn't get the email....

This email prior to the upgrade would have also given me the heads up not to install the update. (In my case the service center installed the update automatically, so I didn't even get a choice in the matter)

Reactions: TrafficEng