Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.5 vs 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is your car brand new? Recent build date?
Was not aware of any cars built in past couple months not being HW 3.0 so don't think you need to worry if buying a new car.

My SR+ without FSD with a 9/19 build date has HW 2.5. To be honest when I found out I was pretty irritated. Regardless of if FSD is installed or not it feels like you bought a new car and shouldn't find out it's out of date the minute you took possession. If I had bought back in April it would have been more understandable but not late September. Now if I want HW 3 my only option is to pay 7k for FSD. Currently HW 3 doesn't add much over 2.5 without FSD but who knows what will happen 2-3 years down the road.

Since bringing a cone doesn't work,

is there any other way?
Like someone already replied, the only 100% way is this method I explained here
Definite Guide: Find out if you have HW3.0 or HW2.5

You can also contact chat support on the tesla.com webiste (find it somewhere on the page) and ask them based on your VIN, but it still wouldn't be as definite as the glove compartment check, which takes seconds anyways.

But you should have done this weeks ago when they assigned you the VIN as denying delivery will only cause you more problems and expenditure if it is already registered and has insurance for that VIN...

if you want the newest computer you buy FSD when you buy the car

stop whining that you dont have HW3 when you didnt even buy fsd..thats ridiculous

Buying FSD at the time of purchase does not guarantee you will get HW3. A friend of mine purchased a SR+ with FSD and took delivery about a week after I did. Their car came with HW 2.5, so buying FSD only guarantees that at some point you will be upgraded not that you will get it from day one.

Even that is not 100% certain. You only have a tweet by Elon Musk to go by -nothing in contract. I know that at least in Europe this is not a certainty and most likely people will not get free updates, because their cars were delivered after that tweet. At least this is the internal info from sales people around here - granted most european sales people are mostly misinformed as the information about sales and such gets to them last(sometimes even after Tesla changed the website pricing and they learn it from customers)

And thea fact that most FSD features will never be available in this car's life span in Europe or at least not in a foreseeable future here.
So I would say free FSD upgrades in USA(Canada?), maybe and depending on when you took delivery(probably before April) rest of the world most likely not for free.

if you want the newest computer you buy FSD when you buy the car

stop whining that you dont have HW3 when you didnt even buy fsd..thats ridiculous

The HW is a lot more than full self driving. It plays into ACC, auto steering, and quite possibly other safety features and rain detection. It's a faster chip. Would you buy the latest iPhone that had last year's processor?

The HW is a lot more than full self driving. It plays into ACC, auto steering, and quite possibly other safety features and rain detection. It's a faster chip. Would you buy the latest iPhone that had last year's processor?

There are two "chips" in the car.. the FSD one, and the MCU. I am not sure which handles what.

The FSD and MCU are built into one big unit. The fact that FSD allowed for the sentry mode files to be saved in H.265 format and the cones + other features suggests that FSD is handling anything camera related. So I would think an AP with FSD is more capable than AP with 2.5, even without FSD purchased.

Even that is not 100% certain. You only have a tweet by Elon Musk to go by -nothing in contract.

This is absolutely false.

Apart from there being more than "one tweet", including Teslas official investor call transcripts ALSO confirming everyone one buys FSD gets the upgrade, it also explicitly states you get the FSD computer upgrade included free when you purchase FSD during the order process

Design Your Model 3 | Tesla

Tesla.com said:
Includes the Full Self Driving Computer

This is absolutely false.

Apart from there being more than "one tweet", including Teslas official investor call transcripts ALSO confirming everyone one buys FSD gets the upgrade,
I have a written email from a sales person in two different locations in Europe/Germany that this is not the case. Once again, the sales people might be missinformed, but more likely they are informed and were instructed by Tesla HQ.

The first person I spoke to told me that so far Tesla has said that since the cars delivered in Europe were after the announcement (that tweet) they don't qualify. Or at least not all (maybe none after April 2019).

That is again the written info I have here in Europe. They also still use HW 2.5 for repairs unless you pay attention...I think another reason is that people in Europe will likely not see any of the FSD features in the near future.

Why I have this information in writing? Because I denied delievery on a car without FSD with HW 2.5 - when I asked if it will be possible to get that same car with HW 2.5 but pay for FSD and get HW 3.0 for free at a later point, this was the response I got - no free upgrades.

But in the US it might be different with all these lawsuits and such.

BTW that exact message you quoted is missing from the German page- so there you have it...

"Includes the Full Self Driving Computer" is missing.