Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.50.180 Auto Headlights Always On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something has changed in a recent firmware update.

The headlights turn on if the windshield wipers are running. I believe this is a California regulation. That has not changed.

If auto wipers are on, the headlights are off unless the wipers actually wipe, in which case the headlights turn on and stay on for a few minutes. Every wipe of the blades apparently resets the timer. That has not changed.

What has changed is this: manually pushing the "wipe" button used to leave the headlights off. Now it turns the headlights on for a couple of minutes. This is kinda annoying because if it's raining very lightly I often just push the button once in a while. Every time I do that the headlights come on for a couple of minutes and then turn off. This can't be good for the bulbs and it's probably kinda weird for the other drivers around me.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
If you have the LED headlights, its a non-issue for the bulbs as LED's basically have such a high operating lifetime (greater than 25,000 hours that they are effectively "never burn out". If you have the older, normal bulbs, I agree that constantly turning them on and off is not a good idea as it is generally the initial heat up when a bulb is turned on that causes wear and leads it to eventually "blow".