Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2,500 for 1.0s improvement 0-60mph?

75/75D owners, would you pay $2,500 for an upgrade to improve 0-60 by 1 second?

• Yes

Votes: 95 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 31.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You likely agreed on the order change (possibly even asked for it), otherwise at delivery time you had the full right to walk away unless they produce the car you agreed on buying. While in your case this worked out well, I because you wanted the refresh look and it didn't cost you any more, it can be a sticky point for some. There is a post here on the forum where someone ordered a 60 with solid roof, but because they delayed delivery they ran out of solid roofs, and for some reason they refused to limit the car to 60. Tesla would not start production until the customer agreed to a 75 with glass roof and the price difference (I don't remember exactly but I think they asked for $1,000 or something like this - the customer still got a good deal but he wanted to hold out for the original price, hence a long thread on that topic).

You're likely making an assumption. In this case your assumption is incorrect (again.) I did not agree to the order change. I did not have an option to chose. The car I got was the car they built at the time of production. In my case it was the facelift.

You're likely making an assumption. In this case your assumption is incorrect (again.) I did not agree to the order change. I did not have an option to chose. The car I got was the car they built at the time of production. In my case it was the facelift.
So what you're saying is that you were expecting the pre-facelift car all the way until delivery, at which point you got a total surprise? You never contacted your DS asking whether you'll get the facelift, or asking for one? I find it hard to believe that people who see new options show up on the Tesla they ordered would not inquire about getting or not getting them, but if that is the case, then you missed a leverage opportunity. If they didn't inform you of the change and you didn't ask for it, you could have held your ground at delivery and refused it, or asked for a discount. Of course they could have called your bluff and offer to get you a pre-facelift car instead, or simply refund your deposit, so that would be a gamble you would have to be willing to take as you would look pretty disingenuous re-ordering a facelift car after refusing delivery of one.

PS> I didn't make any assumptions, just stated the likelyhood is low that Tesla would deliver you something you did not order, but it is possible (like a batch of cars with missing power tailgates discussed here a few weeks ago).

He got a great deal.

It is amazing how ridiculous people can be.
Not necessarily. "Good deal" is relative "to whom". Maybe he didn't want to pay any more and/or didn't need or even want the additional options. I for example have actually paid extra when ordering a custom Porsche to remove the sunroof, as shocking as it may sound to most people who pay for sunroof/pano/glass roof. I also removed the red calipers from my P85D, it didn't cost me anything but some people still think it's crazy because it costs $2,300 to add them and I declined them for $0. For me when I pay $100K+ for a car I want it to come exactly the way I want it, hence the custom order. Think about this way, you have a Model 3 reservation. Imagine you configured it and was ready to pay $40,000, then at delivery Tesla told you they put gold plated diamond studded emblems on the car which normally cost $9,500 but you get them for onlt $6,500 - great deal right? Not if you don't want them simply are not worth the price to you.

So what you're saying is that you were expecting the pre-facelift car all the way until delivery, at which point you got a total surprise? You never contacted your DS asking whether you'll get the facelift, or asking for one? I find it hard to believe that people who see new options show up on the Tesla they ordered would not inquire about getting or not getting them, but if that is the case, then you missed a leverage opportunity. If they didn't inform you of the change and you didn't ask for it, you could have held your ground at delivery and refused it, or asked for a discount. Of course they could have called your bluff and offer to get you a pre-facelift car instead, or simply refund your deposit, so that would be a gamble you would have to be willing to take as you would look pretty disingenuous re-ordering a facelift car after refusing delivery of one.

PS> I didn't make any assumptions, just stated the likelyhood is low that Tesla would deliver you something you did not order, but it is possible (like a batch of cars with missing power tailgates discussed here a few weeks ago).

Wow... not that is not what I am saying. Once again you are making assumptions and then running with those assumptions. Tesla contacted me when the facelift was announced and told me my order was updated to the facelifted version and that the pre-facelift was no longer available. I (as well as others at the time) was grandfathered in. Feel free to review the extended conversations on TMC at this time regarding exactly this topic.

But getting back to the original point. Your assertion is that upgraded specs aren't passed on to orders that haven't entered production. This is demonstrably false. My example is one of many that falsify your assertion.

Here's just one TWC thread where many (including myself) discuss (amongst other things) the implications of the facelift announcement to existing orders.

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

Last edited:
Not necessarily. "Good deal" is relative "to whom". Maybe he didn't want to pay any more and/or didn't need or even want the additional options. I for example have actually paid extra when ordering a custom Porsche to remove the sunroof, as shocking as it may sound to most people who pay for sunroof/pano/glass roof. I also removed the red calipers from my P85D, it didn't cost me anything but some people still think it's crazy because it costs $2,300 to add them and I declined them for $0. For me when I pay $100K+ for a car I want it to come exactly the way I want it, hence the custom order. Think about this way, you have a Model 3 reservation. Imagine you configured it and was ready to pay $40,000, then at delivery Tesla told you they put gold plated diamond studded emblems on the car which normally cost $9,500 but you get them for onlt $6,500 - great deal right? Not if you don't want them simply are not worth the price to you.
Sure, but consider what the actual case was (IIRC):

Model S 60 for $x
Model S 75 + sunroof for $x + $1000

Imagine those are choices in Design Studio. I say the more expensive car is a GREAT deal compared to the other choice; how many people are going to disagree ? ;-)

My guess is that the only dissent will be the turkey who says "I'm going to use some small print and my hot lawyerly skills to get the optioned up car without paying another $1,000!"

Sure, but consider what the actual case was (IIRC):

Model S 60 for $x
Model S 75 + sunroof for $x + $1000

Imagine those are choices in Design Studio. I say the more expensive car is a GREAT deal compared to the other choice; how many people are going to disagree ? ;-)

My guess is that the only dissent will be the turkey who says "I'm going to use some small print and my hot lawyerly skills to get the optioned up car without paying another $1,000!"

By your argument a car with free red calipers is a great deal because it's a more expensive car for the same money, yet some people (myself included) chose to opt out, which goes to illustrate my point exactly - what YOU think is great deal, or even if most people think it's a great deal, doesn't make it a great deal for everyone. Don't assume everyone else's values are the same as yours.

If my P85D showed up with pano, I would have refused delivery. I know you would think only a turkey with a hot lawyer would do that, but that's just because you assume everyone is like you, which is not true.

By your argument a car with free red calipers is a great deal because it's a more expensive car for the same money, yet some people (myself included) chose to opt out, which goes to illustrate my point exactly - what YOU think is great deal, or even if most people think it's a great deal, doesn't make it a great deal for everyone. Don't assume everyone else's values are the same as yours.

If my P85D showed up with pano, I would have refused delivery. I know you would think only a turkey with a hot lawyer would do that, but that's just because you assume everyone is like you, which is not true.
I am assuming an upgrade cost of $1000 to go from a 60 to 75 kWh battery would be viewed favorably by just about anyone.

YMMV

This question is aimed at the current 75/75D owners or reservation holders. Would you pay $2,500 for an upgrade to make your car 1 second faster from 0 to 60mph?
Me? Not really. But that's just me.

However, it is interesting to see how close the "new" 75's are to the 100's (4.2 vs 4.1 as of today) for 0-60. One wonders if Tesla is going to opt for only one kind of S/X battery - the 100kw - and then software limit it to 75kw. If so, then an argument could be made you are paying for more than just a better 0-60 time. Time will tell, I guess.

I am assuming an upgrade cost of $1000 to go from a 60 to 75 kWh battery would be viewed favorably by just about anyone.

YMMV
60->75 upgrade used to be $9,500. Now it costs $2,000 so you'd think geat deal, but not everyone did it. I almost didn't do it wither as I don't need it, but got it mostly because I didn't want to have a rare configuration which Tesla doesn't test their software on much. This upgrade unlocks the top 10KWh by the way which most people never use, since charging to 100% is not recommended plus it takes a very long time.

A red caliper upgrade that usually costs $2,300 also would sounds like a great deal to you for $0, no? And yet, not everyone wanted that deal.

Is the warranty extended from 8 years to 1M miles instead? If not, it's just a gimmick. If Tesla really believed it, they would offer this warranty and get awesome publicity and value for it.
There is a lot more to the power train than just the rear motor.

I think 8 years unlimited miles is already pretty nice. :)

The fact that they improved the 0-60 times shows that it's not a gimmick. They know the acceleration time is tied into wear and tear.

Is the warranty extended from 8 years to 1M miles instead? If not, it's just a gimmick. If Tesla really believed it, they would offer this warranty and get awesome publicity and value for it.
I agree, mostly gimmick.

Unless people really do turn their cars into taxis and then it has real value.
A couple of years ago Toyota had a handful of inverters go bad on their (then new) Gen 4 Prius. The problem was resolved pretty quickly, and in a confidence restoring measure the warranty was revised for everybody to 15 years / unlimited miles.

Done right, power electronics are magic.

Not necessarily. "Good deal" is relative "to whom". Maybe he didn't want to pay any more and/or didn't need or even want the additional options. I for example have actually paid extra when ordering a custom Porsche to remove the sunroof, as shocking as it may sound to most people who pay for sunroof/pano/glass roof. I also removed the red calipers from my P85D, it didn't cost me anything but some people still think it's crazy because it costs $2,300 to add them and I declined them for $0.

For me when I pay $100K+ for a car I want it to come exactly the way I want it, hence the custom order. Think about this way, you have a Model 3 reservation. Imagine you configured it and was ready to pay $40,000, then at delivery Tesla told you they put gold plated diamond studded emblems on the car which normally cost $9,500 but you get them for onlt $6,500 - great deal right? Not if you don't want them simply are not worth the price to you.

Agreed... I always select the sunroof delete. Better helmet clearance on track and improved resale value :cool:

There is a lot more to the power train than just the rear motor.
Yes, and how does that prevent them from offering 1M mile rear motor warranty? Also, for non-P, rear and front motors are the same.

The fact that they improved the 0-60 times shows that it's not a gimmick. They know the acceleration time is tied into wear and tear.

Actually, the motors were already capable since 75's and 90's had the same motors. What they did here is probably increase the current capability of the inverter so 75's with lower voltage can hit the same acceleration. As far as gimmicky, it sounds like part of that 1s improvement is moving to 1ft rollout measurement which is would mean half of the improvement is just measuring it differently.

The last gas car I bought before I got electric was a Mercedes ML63 AMG which had about 4.5s 0-60. It cost about $40k more than the ML550 which did ~5.5s 0-60. It had some nice things as standard like 20" 295 width wheels, summer tires, air suspension, nappa leather as standard, but for the performance increase alone, $2,500 is still an absolute bargain.

The last gas car I bought before I got electric was a Mercedes ML63 AMG which had about 4.5s 0-60. It cost about $40k more than the ML550 which did ~5.5s 0-60. It had some nice things as standard like 20" 295 width wheels, summer tires, air suspension, nappa leather as standard, but for the performance increase alone, $2,500 is still an absolute bargain.

Agreed.

In the ICE world of exhausts, cold air intakes, ECU flashes, etc. $2500 for a 1 second improvement in 0-60 would be insanely cheap. But I'm guessing that most 75D buyers aren't buying primarily for speed so I see both sides.