Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2$ destination Fee on USED Model 3 -Buying Local

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this even legal?

I found a nice 2021 Model 3 locally for 32K , But they want me to pay 2k destination fee? It is a LOCAL CAR and Obviously the first buyer paid destination fee to get to Minnesota and they dont have to ship it anywhere, I just need to pay for it and pick it up. I'm not paying 2k extra, what a scam, so if Tesla sells the vehicle 5 times they make an EXTRA 10K lol

I wont pay it buty I will pick up anopther 8 shares of TSLA ..because they sure know how to squeeze everyones wallet until it's empty

• Disagree
Reactions: gaswalla
Destination fees on a new car are supposed to be fixed, no matter where the destination, to keep from hosing people in remote areas. Doesn’t matter if it’s a factory pickup or a remote location on the other side of the country. It’s supposed to reflect the average delivery cost.

They aren’t negotiable, except at some dealers you maybe able to reduce the base price by the same amount as part of typical haggling.

I’m not sure if there are laws on used car destination charges.

Yes, it’s additional profit.

Destination fees on a new car are supposed to be fixed, no matter where the destination, to keep from hosing people in remote areas. Doesn’t matter if it’s a factory pickup or a remote location on the other side of the country. It’s supposed to reflect the average delivery cost.

They aren’t negotiable, except at some dealers you maybe able to reduce the base price by the same amount as part of typical haggling.

I’m not sure if there are laws on used car destination charges.

Yes, it’s additional profit.
USED TESLA ..the Car is already here , the original owner already paid the 2k destination fee

Tesla doesn't do that. I'm guessing you're trying to buy it off some impersonator or something. Does the seller look like this?

1687041459615.png

Anyway, the destination fee is $1390 for new cars:

1687040827935.png

And $0 for used cars:

1687040803002.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: fholbert and BitJam
They used to call it "added dealer profit". Of course it is legal for them to list any sort of odd fee they like. Just as it is legal for you to walk away and not pay it or negotiate a better deal. It doesn't matter what they list out on the sticker on a used car, the only number you should care about or discuss is the bottom like total. The rest is just sales tactics, trying to get you to pay more than you might otherwise. The sob stories you will be told are irrelevant, if you understand your local market for that particular vehicle you will know whether or not the final number is a fair price. There are now many online tools that will help you get that information.
A few of the fees are"real" and in some sense non-negotiable, but if you ignore the baloney and only talk about the final number you will come out ahead, or at least not be bamboozled.

Reactions: brkaus
I agree with the above: Ignore every line except the bottom line. Negotiate for what you will pay after all fees. All used car prices are negotiable. If the buyer and seller can't agree, there's no sale. If you want the car badly enough, you may have to pay more for it. If the seller wants to sell it badly enough they may have to accept less for it.

If you agree on a price and then they want to add something to it, don't get angry: just say no. Say "I agreed to pay X, and that's what I'm willing to pay." If they won't, then walk away. But don't get angry because that does you no good.

Is this even legal?

I found a nice 2021 Model 3 locally for 32K , But they want me to pay 2k destination fee? It is a LOCAL CAR and Obviously the first buyer paid destination fee to get to Minnesota and they dont have to ship it anywhere, I just need to pay for it and pick it up. I'm not paying 2k extra, what a scam, so if Tesla sells the vehicle 5 times they make an EXTRA 10K lol

I wont pay it buty I will pick up anopther 8 shares of TSLA ..because they sure know how to squeeze everyones wallet until it's empty

There seem to be some details left out here, as well as some assumptions.

Vehicle destination charges have zero (zip / nada / zilch, use any other word for "nothing" you want to insert here) to do with TRANSPORT fees.

We dont know what "Local" means, as to where the car is vs where this OP is located.

We dont know WHO the OP is talking about buying from (Tesla itself or "Franks used car lot").

IF the OP is buying this used vehicle directly from Tesla, and IF the OP is willing to go wherever the car actually is and pick it up, THEN there should not be any transport fee. Whether a destination fee was charged on the original purchase or not means absolutely nothing (ZERO), so I am not sure why the OP is even bringing that up. It means nothing. Destination fee was charged (and earned) when the car was delivered to the original purchaser of the vehicle, and has NOTHING to do with a used car, no matter whom is selling it.

Nevertheless, places like "Franks used car lot" can charge whatever they want for whatever. Tesla itself charges a transport fee for moving a used car from one location to another, and that doesnt have anything to do with destination fees. If someone picks the car up where it actually is right now (vs tesla having to move it from one SC to another) then the transport fee is normally taken off.

Since there is almost no information in this OPs post, we dont know anything about what is going on, other than the OP confusing destination fee and transport fees (if its tesla) or if not tesla, whomever the OP is trying to buy the car from marking up fees to make additional profit.

Reactions: WyoDude
J.D. Power says:

What Is A Destination Fee Or Charge?

In essence, a destination fee is a charge for delivering a new car from the factory to its point of sale. While it is typically the dealership, the final destination may sometimes differ depending on purchase terms.

Dealerships include such charges to recompensate preparation and logistical costs. The car is transported from the factory to the dealer, and it costs money to transfer it. It is not about profit but rather about cutting back losses as they first have to pay the manufacturer.

They go on to say that it is typically not negotiable, but that is misleading since the car price itself is negotiable (except, I believe, with Tesla; I found it refreshing that when I bought my two cars from Tesla it was just a fixed price). So if you know the right questions to ask ("What will be the final everything-included, bottom-line price?" or "What's the full amount of the check I will have to write?") then you can negotiate from there.

Dealerships may negotiate a price, and then tell you that they "have to" add on this or that fee. But you can walk away any time before you've signed a contract that shows the bottom-line price.

Is this even legal?

Are you buying from Tesla directly? I see no transportation fee when buying used cars from Tesla locally, even when using a Minnesota zip code:
New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

If you are buying a new car, there is a fixed destination fee regardless of where you buy it from (even if from the factory). As others mentioned, this is the traditional case in order to be fair to rural buyers.