Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Model Y or Ioniq 5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, the same market forces have caused used cars to be ridiculously priced, both EV and ICE. And see also: the housing market, where prices jumped up again in April even as mortgage rates have almost doubled in the last 18 months.

Why is this funny to you? Do you think the vinyl seats in the Y are high quality? I think they are "okay" but certainly not on par with the leather seats in the top trim MDX. Now, given all these missing features I still bought a Y over the MDX because I wanted an EV powertrain.
I wouldn’t call leather a higher quality material. Tesla seats last longer and easier to take care off.

I wouldn’t call leather a higher quality material. Tesla seats last longer and easier to take care off.
I don’t know if you can say that - I had leather seats in my A4. All I did was wipe them off occasionally and put some protectant on once or twice a year. after 5 years they were still in perfect shape. We don’t know how long the vinyl seats in teslas will last. It may be that they start cracking in 8-10 years.

Leather is generally considered a better material, but to each their own. For me it’s basically a wash - the only problem I have with the seats in my MY is they show dirt quickly because they’re white. I could have gotten black but black interiors heat up really quickly and black seats are painful to sit on in the summer - I really wish Tesla offered a grey option.

Why is this funny to you? Do you think the vinyl seats in the Y are high quality? I think they are "okay" but certainly not on par with the leather seats in the top trim MDX. Now, given all these missing features I still bought a Y over the MDX because I wanted an EV powertrain.
That’s the reason I too bought the MYP 👍🏻 Been retired for a few years now, always had an ICE Hot Rod in my garage; Now I have a Red/Black MYP ⚡️ with all the comforts & technology.
Only problem is that I can’t hang to long on a long road trip; Don’t want to get challenge when having to conserve juice to get to the next Supercharger station. 😬🤦🏻‍♂️😂🤣

I don’t know if you can say that - I had leather seats in my A4. All I did was wipe them off occasionally and put some protectant on once or twice a year. after 5 years they were still in perfect shape. We don’t know how long the vinyl seats in teslas will last. It may be that they start cracking in 8-10 years.

Leather is generally considered a better material, but to each their own. For me it’s basically a wash - the only problem I have with the seats in my MY is they show dirt quickly because they’re white. I could have gotten black but black interiors heat up really quickly and black seats are painful to sit on in the summer - I really wish Tesla offered a grey option.
I think leather is the better material, we're used to it, used to how it ages and wears, the smell the feel etc etc. But it has a huge carbon footprint not only from the raising of cattle but in production as well. And this is the reason afaik that Tesla moved away from leathers.

I think leather is the better material, we're used to it, used to how it ages and wears, the smell the feel etc etc. But it has a huge carbon footprint not only from the raising of cattle but in production as well. And this is the reason afaik that Tesla moved away from leathers.

I'm pretty sure the "vegan leather" (AKA vinyl) is a lot cheaper than real leather. Granted, these days vinyl isn't THAT bad, as it's also present on MB, BMW, etc. It's not like the crappy vinyl when I was a kid. But I personally gave zero environmental consideration to buying my MY. I just wanted a tech filled car that was fast and cool. I knew going in it wasn't going to compare to a comparably priced ICE car in terms of features or quality of materials.

This is a Genesis about the same price as a Model Y now and what I would call “Luxury”

I went from a Model Y to an IONIQ 5 and I have the opportunity to buy one of the first Genesis GV60s in the US at MSRP.
I may end up trading in the IONIQ 5 for that if the trade in value is good enough.

The GV60 is more in line, maybe better in some aspects, than the Model Y when it comes to technology, features and quality.

I went from a Model Y to an IONIQ 5 and I have the opportunity to buy one of the first Genesis GV60s in the US at MSRP.
I may end up trading in the IONIQ 5 for that if the trade in value is good enough.

The GV60 is more in line, maybe better in some aspects, than the Model Y when it comes to technology, features and quality.
I am not sure what "technology" is better than Tesla. Can you elaborate more on it?
Is the HUD still kind of useless like on Ioniq5/EV6?

Some of the things would be the HUD, 360 cameras, better digital/phone key, and the fingerprint/face reader.
Cool.
By the way, I HATE fingerprints on the car!! =)
I like Tesla's side cameras way better than the 360 cameras because 360 camera view is only useful when you try to go really slow and squeeze your car into very tight spot since you can see what's next to your car all around the car, but other times Tesla side camera view is way more useful when backing up since you can see what is coming up from the distance and you can stop if you need to. With the 360 camera views, often times, it is too late to stop due to limited viewing area.
I think Tesla phone key is one of the best, but not sure if Genesis takes that to another level (doubt it, but please correct me if I am wrong).
For the HUD, it it is same as the ones in Ioniq5/EV6, it is a hard pass.
By the way, what does the fingerprint reader do?

Last edited:

I'm also very interested in GV60. But I hear rear room is more limited than an i5, rear seat is lower and less headroom due to roofline. I'd try to see it in person before making the jump.