Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Phone keys in the car together

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If 2 people get into the Tesla 3 and both have the phone key on their phones which one is the master? Ie which driver profile is activated?

In another instance if 2 people have key cards I assume the master card is the one that is used to start the car...

Why're you quoting something I didn't say? You can see how it determines which side the person is on in the video for yourself. It's not perfect, but works pretty well in my experience.
I'm quoting something you claimed illustrated "how it works" and said it works "pretty well" in your experience. I'm disagreeing based on my experience.

A perfect example of this happened this morning. I parked the car last night in our driveway on my profile. My wife's phone wasn't in the car. This morning, as we've got builders in the driveway during the day at the mo, I got in to move the car to the bottom of the street. My wife's phone wasn't anywhere near the car and my phone was in my pocket. Nevertheless, after Easy Entry, her profile activated instead of mine.

Each phone is keyed to the correct profiles in settings and this isn't consistently an issue which is very frustrating as there seems to be no logic to it. And, incidentally, it's always her profile that activates for me and never the other way round.

I'm quoting something you claimed illustrated "how it works" and said it works "pretty well" in your experience. I'm disagreeing based on my experience.

A perfect example of this happened this morning. I parked the car last night in our driveway on my profile. My wife's phone wasn't in the car. This morning, as we've got builders in the driveway during the day at the mo, I got in to move the car to the bottom of the street. My wife's phone wasn't anywhere near the car and my phone was in my pocket. Nevertheless, after Easy Entry, her profile activated instead of mine.

Each phone is keyed to the correct profiles in settings and this isn't consistently an issue which is very frustrating as there seems to be no logic to it. And, incidentally, it's always her profile that activates for me and never the other way round.
I have the same problem, although if my wife is well away from the car then it behaves, it’s as if her Bluetooth signal is much stronger than mine!

glad to hear I'm not the only one. I think the only way to solve this is for us to turn off Bluetooth until we want to drive and then activate it. Sadly, that's the only workaround I can think of until Tesla sorts this out somehow.

glad to hear I'm not the only one. I think the only way to solve this is for us to turn off Bluetooth until we want to drive and then activate it. Sadly, that's the only workaround I can think of until Tesla sorts this out somehow.

Why not have the phone key just not activate the driver profile?

We select driver profiles after sitting in and its a different driver than previously. Otherwise, it most of the time, everything is correctly set up irrespective of what the car thinks which phone is what. Doesn't sort phone operation though, but that seems to follow first one in the car but tbh, never paid much attention to it.

thanks for that suggestion. It's at least a solution to me driving on my profile, stopping, getting out the car to pop into a shop while the wife sits in the passenger seat, getting back in and shifting into D only to trigger a remake of the Star Wars garbage disposal scene as her profile is activated because her phone BT has taken over.

not that I'm popping into too many shops at the mo