Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2" tow hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads up. I purchased a stealth hitch for my model 3. I live in Las Vegas Nevada and no one near me will install the hitch. Tesla won't and they say this will break their warranty. I called two authorized stealth hitch installers and they refused as well saying it will mess up the sensors and void my warranty. I called a few other places to see if I can get install, about 10-15 and all said they would not do it. I don't know how you all are getting this installed, but it's likely not a great idea. Now I've got to return my bike rack and hitch unfortunately.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
I'm going to be out a bit of money on this tow hitch. There are numerous articles about installing this thing and it seemed well vetted. This is not for the Tesla Model 3. I'm going to have to eat the shipping +20% for restocking fee. No one seems to be able to point me towards a company willing to install this. I could do it myself I guess, but do you really want to install a part that others refuse to do because they don't want the liability? Beware folks!!!

Just a heads up. I purchased a stealth hitch for my model 3. I live in Las Vegas Nevada and no one near me will install the hitch. Tesla won't and they say this will break their warranty. I called two authorized stealth hitch installers and they refused as well saying it will mess up the sensors and void my warranty. I called a few other places to see if I can get install, about 10-15 and all said they would not do it. I don't know how you all are getting this installed, but it's likely not a great idea. Now I've got to return my bike rack and hitch unfortunately.
It's very easy to install yourself. What part of the warranty are they claiming this would void? Seems odd that they have a cutout in the plastic underside for a hitch that voids the warranty?

It's very easy to install yourself. What part of the warranty are they claiming this would void? Seems odd that they have a cutout in the plastic underside for a hitch that voids the warranty?
I've watched the videos that it's easy. That's likely the route I'll have to take. I researched this to death I though. No one complains of issues with it. Maybe the installers are just behind on this?

I'll call around some more tomorrow or just find someone to help me with it. Doing it's not the issue. Hearing the wife badger me about how I'm going to Eff it up is the real obstacle here.

Looks like you have the same set up I'm going for.

stealth eco hitch. Everyone seems to say it's a go. That's Why I was so dejected by all the bad news today.

Reactions: phishphan
Install it yourself. The only thing to be careful with are the attachment points to the wheel well (upper area) - it’s easiest to remove both parts of the fastener. Also, a second hand supporting the plastic bumper helps.

I tow an inflatable dinghy multiple times a week and take an e-mountain bike on a rack once in a while.

Also, do not omit the plastic isolators. Look up galvanic corrosion, I don’t trust most mechanics.

Reactions: android04
I've watched the videos that it's easy. That's likely the route I'll have to take. I researched this to death I though. No one complains of issues with it. Maybe the installers are just behind on this?

I'll call around some more tomorrow or just find someone to help me with it. Doing it's not the issue. Hearing the wife badger me about how I'm going to Eff it up is the real obstacle here.

Looks like you have the same set up I'm going for.

stealth eco hitch. Everyone seems to say it's a go. That's Why I was so dejected by all the bad news today.
Install it yourself. I installed the EcoHitch like 3.5 years ago on my Model 3. I have 3 trailers and lately I've been using it a lot. It will not automatically void your warranty, but if anything breaks that Tesla thinks could have been caused by the installation or use of the tow hitch they can refuse to cover the replacement of that part under warranty. Everything else in the car that is under a warranty period would still be covered.

Here's the latest thing I towed. I moved to a different house and took a metal carport from my old house on a boat trailer. The carport is 18' wide, 21' long, and 10' high. The sheet metal and side square tubing are 21' long, so they extended 4' past the length of the boat trailer. I lay the two sides of the carport on top of each other and strapped them to the boat trailer frame to make a ladder frame, then all the sheet metal plus some extra sheet metal I had lying around went on top. Then I added a bunch of conduit, PVC pipes, and a few wooden pallets to the top of the load. I tried to balance the load somewhat evenly with just a little bit more weight towards the front, but when I got to my destination I could not lift the trailer off my trailer ball. I have a trailer jack for it, but haven't installed it yet. So I used an 8' plank (2x10) as a lever to unhook the trailer and set it on a cinder block. The tongue weight was probably between 300-400 lbs. The trailer weight was probably slightly over 2000 lbs. Pulled like a dream, just noticed slightly longer braking distances. I've also towed 2 lawn tractors at a time in one of my other trailers.

Attachments

• PXL_20220919_185955949.jpg
    PXL_20220919_185955949.jpg
    775.6 KB · Views: 119
  • PXL_20220919_164618843.jpg
    PXL_20220919_164618843.jpg
    884 KB · Views: 68
According to the stealth website

listed in the instructions

2” RACK RECEIVER MAXIMUM PAYLOAD: 350 LBS
MAXIMUM TOW RATING: 3500 LBS
MAXIMUM TONGUE WEIGHT: 350 LBS

According to the stealth website

listed in the instructions

2” RACK RECEIVER MAXIMUM PAYLOAD: 350 LBS
MAXIMUM TOW RATING: 3500 LBS
MAXIMUM TONGUE WEIGHT: 350 LBS
That may be what STEALTH says, but TESLA does not. Thanks @Irishman for clarification.