Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20” Induction Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are only two logical reasons for this.

1. You've been hitting curbs most of your life, but Tesla wheels/tires don't offer the same protection so you notice it. This is not Tesla's fault but driver error as hitting curbs is not a requirement for driving.

2. You've never hit curbs before, but Tesla wheels/tires (or the car) is somehow making you hit curbs. I find this hard to believe.

Which is it?
Obviously the curb rash has been my fault. I certainly do not deny that. I have friends with Model X and S and the tires on those cars are also low profile, but the rims on those tires are slightly recessed and do not protrude beyond the face of the tires. Fortunately, so far the abrasions have been slight and easily dealt with. I hate to say it, but it is only a matter of time before it may even happen to you.

Obviously the curb rash has been my fault. I certainly do not deny that. I have friends with Model X and S and the tires on those cars are also low profile, but the rims on those tires are slightly recessed and do not protrude beyond the face of the tires. Fortunately, so far the abrasions have been slight and easily dealt with. I hate to say it, but it is only a matter of time before it may even happen to you.
haha, it already happened to most of the people replied if you read the comment. I had a Model S, it was just as bad. I got multiple rash on it and i only had it for 6 months before trading that in for the Y. No one deny that these rims are easy to get curb rash, but to say that it's a design flaws is where most don't agree with.

Reactions: Reborn
my question is, is that really gonna help?
Of course it will. Most curb rash is when you are making a right hand turn (in America) from a stop and trying to make the turn by not taking the turn too wide into another lane. So they would protect your rims in that case. The problem I’ve found with curb rash is not the cost to fix it ($100) but all the shops I’ve found want you to only bring the wheel to their shop and then leave it there for a few days. Most people don’t have a spare which means your Tesla is now sitting in your garage jacked up with no wheel for days. So even if the Alloygator gets destroyed but saves your wheel, it’s cheaper and a lot more convenient to put a new one on.

Of course it will. Most curb rash is when you are making a right hand turn (in America) from a stop and trying to make the turn by not taking the turn too wide into another lane. So they would protect your rims in that case. The problem I’ve found with curb rash is not the cost to fix it ($100) but all the shops I’ve found want you to only bring the wheel to their shop and then leave it there for a few days. Most people don’t have a spare which means your Tesla is now sitting in your garage jacked up with no wheel for days. So even if the Alloygator gets destroyed but saves your wheel, it’s cheaper and a lot more convenient to put a new one on.

I have induction wheels too and is it gonna look weird with alloygator if I choose black or white? And also if I curb with alloygator, is alloygator gonna come off and I need to buy replacement?

This is a design flaw that I feel should be addressed.

I don't think it's a design flaw. I gave 3 of my 4 wheels curb rash on my last car, a 2018 BMW X2. I've done that to one of my wheels on my MY thus far, and it was my stupid fault (was looking at my food in a drive-thru whilst pulling off and drifted into the curb). That isn't Tesla's fault, it's my stupid fault. I did use some great touchup paint and basically hid it. You'd really have to know it's there to see it (and of course I know!). The rash also wasn't horrendous, it was pretty minor.

T Sportline Tesla Wheel Touch Up Paint - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

Reactions: Reborn
I took delivery of a Model Y Long Range MSM with 20” induction wheels approximately 1 1/2 months ago. In the 1 1/2 months that I have owned and driven the Model Y, between my wife and myself, we have scrapped the wheel rims of 3 of the wheels. In all of my 50+ years of driving this has never happened before. I expect many other owners have had a similar experience. The reason for this is because the wheel rims stick out beyond the face of the tire and are the first point of contact. This is a design flaw that I feel should be addressed.
This is actually an issue with the rims themselves. They stick out past the tire...so if you're commuting, any potholes will curb rash them. I have the same issue and have not curbed any of them...and when I checked with a family member, they mentioned that this was a common issue with them for people that use them to commute, especially in places where the road isn't always perfect.

I took delivery of a Model Y Long Range MSM with 20” induction wheels approximately 1 1/2 months ago. In the 1 1/2 months that I have owned and driven the Model Y, between my wife and myself, we have scrapped the wheel rims of 3 of the wheels. In all of my 50+ years of driving this has never happened before. I expect many other owners have had a similar experience. The reason for this is because the wheel rims stick out beyond the face of the tire and are the first point of contact. This is a design flaw that I feel should be addressed.
For everyone that is blah blah blah it’s your fault. Just know I feel you as I have never curbed wheels but have curbed 2 of the inductions on my Y. There are two options to address this as I didn’t want to repair another wheel.
1. Get aftermarket wheels (what I did) and put something like the Michelin PS4S on it. They have rim protectors on the tire so it isn’t a problem anymore. I live in a winter state and these are summer only tires. I am going to put winter tires on the inductions that have curb protectors built into the tires.
2. Replace the factory Goodyear’s with some sort of all season that have the rim protectors. I took the factory Goodyear’s off at 3k miles because of this reason. I know it seems crazy to take tires off that early, however, the tires are honestly junk. The car rides sooooo much better on the Michelin’s.
Im aware it was my fault that I curbed the wheels (no crap Sherlock) but Tesla could’ve put a tire on it that provided more rim protection. It’s disappointing they are putting the Goodyear’s on the 20s anyway. The turn radius of the Y doesn’t help things either. I had a better turning radius in my Grand Cherokee.

Reactions: beezy
Funny seeing this post today as I just curb rashed yesterday! That curb was all gnarly and black rubber all over it. It was a tight turn with a tight pathway and I totally didn't expect that. The damage is all along the outer edge which would've been great if I had the protection on it.

Last edited:
Same for me.....