Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$200 Primacy MXM4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's time for new shoes on my S 85D. I'm planning on the OE Primacy. They're at several places for $200, which sounds surprisingly cheap for a high end car. Am I looking at the right tire?

Last edited:
It's time for new shoes on my S 85D. I'm planning on the OE Primacy. They're at several places for $200, which sounds surprisingly cheap for a high end car. Am I looking at the right tire?

Seems reasonable to me. I put a new set of Michelin Primacy MXM4s on my S85D a few months ago for $202 per tire (plus tax, disposal fee, replacement certificates, etc.).

Bruce.

Reactions: CBPfromTN
Be sure to get the correct load rating for Tesla ... 98W = 1653 lbs. per tire :cool:

upload_2018-2-11_8-2-6.png

The Pilot Sport A/S is better in every category...:cool:

The two tires aren't really directly comparable. The Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is a High-Performance All-Season tire, while the Primacy MXM4 is a Grand Touring tire. The two categories have different characteristics and goals.

In general, the Grand Touring category emphasizes quiet and smooth ride, longer tread life, and higher efficiency, in all-season conditions.

By contrast, the High Performance All-Season category tries to give the grip and handling of a summer tire for hot conditions, along with the traction and handling of a winter tire in cold conditions, all in one tire. Ride noise, smoothness, energy efficiency, and tread life are not primary design goals, and therefore those items come secondary behind the performance characteristics.

Looking at the line in the chart above "Performance Category Rank", you'll see that the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is rated 1st (out of 26 total tires) in the High-Performance All-Season category, meaning that consumers, in their subjective opinion, feel that this tire best achieves the goals of the High-Performance All-Season category. By contrast, the Primary MXM4 is 13th (out of 44 total tires) in the Grand Touring category. Thus, there are tires out there that consumers, in their subjective opinion, feel better meet the Grand Touring category goals.

But just because the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is 1st in its category doesn't mean it's a "better" tire than the Primacy MXM4, because the two tires are designed to do different things.

Apples and oranges. The Pilot Sports will be worn out long before the Primacys. That tread rating review is compared to other tires in the same class, not between classes.

Tread rating? Not sure why you bring it up. I didn’t. I did however spend enormous amount of time researching tires over the years. Pilot A/S has been repeatedly celebrated by numerous Web sites and organizations over the years since it came out and went through various versions. Yes, it’s in a different category from the Primacy but it’s still a vastly superior tire in almost every dimension. Yes, it will wear out somewhat quicker, but you will be safer in any weather condition and will enjoy driving your car more compared to Primacy, which is simply an average tire. I wouldn’t think that people spending $70-120k on Model S would worry too much about spending an extra $100-200 per year on tires.

Funny, I thought you were going to suggest the tire was too expensive. I remember when you could get a good tire for $80. And I'm not exactly an old geezer. $200 to me still feels like expensive high performance tire. I think the tires on my 1999 Mustang Cobra (the limited edition high performance top end model of that period) were less back when I had it. Of course, one of the reasons for higher prices is that the tire trend today is to physically larger tires. My Cobra had 17" rims if I remember correctly, with 45 series tires. Now a Tesla has 19" as the smallest rim size and still 45 series. Physically bigger wheels and tires these days.

All good thoughts. Noise, handling and energy are my top priorities, in that order. Treadwear and cold performance don't matter to me, and I'm not price sensitive on tires. So I'm open to a different tire. I've always liked the Pilot series, but I've only used them on loud cars (Z06, M3).

Be sure to get the correct load rating for Tesla ... 98W = 1653 lbs. per tire :cool:

View attachment 279664

but even that one isn't the right one if you want the OEM version with the sound deadening material. Tire Rack lists it withe the code "TO Tesla, Acoustic Tech". so for @AlanM you might see price differences for not only weight and speed limits but also Acoustic Tech.

I'd check the tires you have and be sure they do or don't have acoustic lining so you know if you are making an apples to apples comparison.

From what I remember reading, the primacy has better (more efficient) rolling resistance, which means a bit better range, all else being equal. If you want the performance and are willing to give up some range and tread life, get the pilot. Otherwise go with the primacy.

but even that one isn't the right one if you want the OEM version with the sound deadening material. Tire Rack lists it withe the code "TO Tesla, Acoustic Tech". so for @AlanM you might see price differences for not only weight and speed limits but also Acoustic Tech. I'd check the tires you have and be sure they do or don't have acoustic lining so you know if you are making an apples to apples comparison.

I have the 21" Michelin PSS Acoustic Tech and would recommend that you save your money ... the noise difference is imperceptible. :cool:
Otherwise the detailed tire specs appear to be identical and the PSS Acoustic Tech is not available in the OEM 19" size, only the 21"

upload_2018-2-11_21-36-40.png

I replaced my Michelin tires last year with the continental ExtremeContact™ DWS06. They were a little less and came with a 50,000 mile warranty. Dry, wet, snow rated not just considered a basic all season. They handle really well in the wet but we have not had any snow this year so I cannot vouch for the snow traction. They do have a beastly grip pattern so I bet they’d do really well.

The SC quoted me $300 each plus install. That's either a ridiculous markup, or there is in fact a unique Tesla tire that I can't find elsewhere. From what I can tell, mine do not have the acoustic foam.
That's their standard MO. They wont price match tire rack/etc. If you want you can buy them online at $200 a pop and bring them to the service center to get them installed for $50 a pop. Or just bring them to any place that can install a tire and get it mounted/balanced for $10-$15/tire. Tesla isn't the only place that road force balances tires.