Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$200 tow hitch worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been good. I used it just the other day for hauling some bags of dirt and mulch.
We are heading to Florida again this year during July 4th week and I will be using it for our luggage.
I did not notice any loss of range. I averaged 350Wh/Mile during that trip and that's about the best that I can average on flat highways doing 75ish MPH.
The carrier is down to $125. I paid $127. That's a great price for a very well built rack.
Amazon.com: Pro Series 63153 Rambler Hitch Cargo Carrier for 2" Receivers: Automotive

The bag is really spacious. You can put a lot of luggage in it. It's about 20 cubic feet. 5' x 2' x 2'
Amazon.com: ROLA 59119 Rainproof Cargo Carrier Bag 59" x 24" x 24" (20 Cu Ft): Automotive

My guess is because it hangs off the back of the car it's not really interfering with the air flow in any negative way.

-Logan

My guess is because it hangs off the back of the car it's not really interfering with the air flow in any negative way.
Nope. If anything it's further reducing the low pressure area directly behind the vehicle and the drag it creates thereby increasing the range. Then again, as I've said elsewhere, I'm no aero expert. I just play one on the internet. :p;)

Reactions: vandacca
It's been good. I used it just the other day for hauling some bags of dirt and mulch.
We are heading to Florida again this year during July 4th week and I will be using it for our luggage.
I did not notice any loss of range. I averaged 350Wh/Mile during that trip and that's about the best that I can average on flat highways doing 75ish MPH.
The carrier is down to $125. I paid $127. That's a great price for a very well built rack.
Amazon.com: Pro Series 63153 Rambler Hitch Cargo Carrier for 2" Receivers: Automotive

The bag is really spacious. You can put a lot of luggage in it. It's about 20 cubic feet. 5' x 2' x 2'
Amazon.com: ROLA 59119 Rainproof Cargo Carrier Bag 59" x 24" x 24" (20 Cu Ft): Automotive

-Logan
How much weight are you loading on the cargo carrier?

I have a question, can this part be purchased on its own? I don't need the towing package, I just need this hitch for my bike rack.
Thank you TMC fam.
Do you mean you want the Tow Package hardware without the Tow Package software? That would the the "Acessory Hitch" option wouldn't it? I don't see that available as an option to custom built X's any longer, nor is it an option post delivery in the Store. The full Tow Package is available though...

Tesla — Tow Package

I have a question, can this part be purchased on its own? I don't need the towing package, I just need this hitch for my bike rack.
Thank you TMC fam.
No you can't. Originally there was an accessory tow hitch for $125, but it was never produced. Everyone that ordered it got upgrade to the tow package (without the software) and with acknowledging they were upgraded. Accessory hitch is no longer an option, just the tow package.

You might find an vendor who makes an aftermarket accessory hitch. Here is a link for one which produces one for the Model S. Might be worth and email.
Torklift Central | Tesla - Find Your EcoHitch - RVing and Towing

I love having the Tow Hitch on my Model X. It allows me to do some great utility chores that I would need at least a truck for otherwise.
I have a 5'x2' cargo carrier - Amazon.com: Pro Series 63152 Rambler Hitch Cargo Carrier for 2” Receivers: Automotive
I just used it yesterday to haul 12 bags of topping for my front lawn.
If you need a weather proof bag, I recommend this one. It's already seen 2 long haul vacations and about to put to use on a 3rd one as we drive from Texas to Florida in July.

I love having the Tow Hitch on my Model X. It allows me to do some great utility chores that I would need at least a truck for otherwise.
I have a 5'x2' cargo carrier - Amazon.com: Pro Series 63152 Rambler Hitch Cargo Carrier for 2” Receivers: Automotive
I just used it yesterday to haul 12 bags of topping for my front lawn.
If you need a weather proof bag, I recommend this one. It's already seen 2 long haul vacations and about to put to use on a 3rd one as we drive from Texas to Florida in July.

Be careful, from the Model X manual "Model X is designed to support an accessory carrier of up to 120 lbs (55 kg)."
The Amazon linked item weighs 70 pounds on its own. If you put too much weight too far from the receiver, it can damage the vehicle structure.