Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2000 miles only.. Is my battery ok?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

My LR AWD only has 2000 miles so far, after owning for about 2 months.

My driving and charging habit are as follow.

1. Mon-Fri, I commute for a total of 53 miles daily.
2. Sat-Sun, it usually just sits inside our garage.

In both cases above, I leave my charger plugged in every night to start charging at midnight (to take advantage of off peak electricity period). I have been charging to maximum to 90% daily because that's what the Tesla delivery center told me to do. I was always always getting 279-300 miles when charged at 90%. From end of last week, I am now only getting 277 miles when it's charged up to 90%.

Should I be worried about this 2 miles loss, especially since it's only 2 months with 2000 miles?

Is there a fix to this so that I can get back the 2 miles, or is this something not to worry about?

Thanks in advance guys.

You were not getting 300 miles unless it was a mistake. 90%=279 but can be a couple above or below and still be 90%. So 277 is likely 90% since you can't charge to an exact amount of like 90.4% to get an exact mileage. Also you are likely going to lose a little since there is some degradation when li-ion batteries are new is common.

You're good, the only true way to know the range is to do a couple of cycles of 95%+ and down to below 20%+. The only reason to do that is for a long road trip. It depends on your usage, daily driving of 50 miles won't give the computer enough data to calculate so it might seem like it is off but it's not. Once it calibrates after the cycles mentioned above it will give a true full range. I used to watch the range and calculate but after awhile it is unnecessary anxiety. After a few road trips I set it to % and haven't looked back. Enjoy the car

Reactions: brur and joonrhee
You're good, the only true way to know the range is to do a couple of cycles of 95%+ and down to below 20%+. The only reason to do that is for a long road trip. It depends on your usage, daily driving of 50 miles won't give the computer enough data to calculate so it might seem like it is off but it's not. Once it calibrates after the cycles mentioned above it will give a true full range. I used to watch the range and calculate but after awhile it is unnecessary anxiety. After a few road trips I set it to % and haven't looked back. Enjoy the car
Yea a little OT but Tesla should probably move to a guess-o-meter. I had an ELR before and it had this and was more useful. Most EV's use it and as a side benefit you wouldn't have all the posts about missing milage since you get an estimate based on driving. Seems like Tesla would benefit since I'm sure they are inundated with these questions about lost range.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Battery should be ok. Switch from idea to rated and see if that does anything . It's located under the battery details next to miles to percentage switch.

Rated - gives you the exact amount
Ideal- is based on your driving habits.

But as all others .. it's all based on battery calibration. It's gotten used to you charging to 90% which causes the meter to be a little off.

• Disagree
Battery should be ok. Switch from idea to rated and see if that does anything . It's located under the battery details next to miles to percentage switch.

Rated - gives you the exact amount
Ideal- is based on your driving habits.

But as all others .. it's all based on battery calibration. It's gotten used to you charging to 90% which causes the meter to be a little off.
No, ideal is not based on your driving habits, it’s simply a fixed percentage (25% I think) more than rated. It’s either degradation (normal) or BMS calibration.

• Informative
my model 3 always charged up to 278 miles to 280 but now only charges to 274 each morning when set at 90%

Same as mine. For about a year, 90% was exactly 279 to the dot every single morning. Then in summer 2019 it suddenly dropped to 274 after one of the software update. It has been like that since. It's not always 274 though... sometime it drops to 270... sometime it raises back up to 278... don't think I ever seen 279 again.

You know guys... I gave up. My 90% is like 269 or 270 now, and I never see 279 anymore. My 85% is like 254 or 255 instead of 263. My car still only has little over 7,000 miles.

So I just changed the display to battery percentage now. I didn't want to see the remaining miles anymore, as it only bothered me. Now, I just don't think about the remaining miles, and just tell myself I have how much battery left..

Yea a little OT but Tesla should probably move to a guess-o-meter. I had an ELR before and it had this and was more useful.
I really hope not. This is just a matter of people trying to use a shoe to hammer in a nail instead of reaching for an actual hammer. People are trying to use that display for something it's not. That little battery meter is a fuel gauge. People should stop trying to use it as a driving range estimator.

The driving range estimator is in the energy app, and it calculates things differently, where it is doing a projection based on your recent past usage. A fuel gauge should not be crazily jumping up and down like a squirrel on amphetamines, like a Guess-O-Meter does.

Yea a little OT but Tesla should probably move to a guess-o-meter. I had an ELR before and it had this and was more useful. Most EV's use it and as a side benefit you wouldn't have all the posts about missing milage since you get an estimate based on driving. Seems like Tesla would benefit since I'm sure they are inundated with these questions about lost range.

You’re joking, right?

I used to spend a lot of time in the Volt forums, and every fall we’d get dozens of panicked people asking what was wrong with their car that has suddenly lost twenty percent or more of the range.

Going to a GoM, even a relatively good GoM, is not a path towards fewer questions about range loss.

I really hope not. This is just a matter of people trying to use a shoe to hammer in a nail instead of reaching for an actual hammer. People are trying to use that display for something it's not. That little battery meter is a fuel gauge. People should stop trying to use it as a driving range estimator.

The driving range estimator is in the energy app, and it calculates things differently, where it is doing a projection based on your recent past usage. A fuel gauge should not be crazily jumping up and down like a squirrel on amphetamines, like a Guess-O-Meter does.

I clicked love on this post, but wish I could click it a few more times.