Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2008 ROADSTER WONT MOVE- THE ANSWER?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a text last week that the circuit board that takes the info from the shifter was bad and that it was going to be rebuilt in Ca. but the person that does this was on vacation. Yesterday found out that it WAS NOT going to be rebuilt and need to get a new one from the Netherlands. Supposedly there are 206 of these there and Tesla USA is getting 50 of them that will arrive next week late. Then Paramus can over nite one. Good luck to me.
KNOW ANYONE THAT WANTS TO BUY A ROADSTER?? I all ready have one prima donna car (the first car that I ever owned is a 67 Firebird) and I don't need another. STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER

Or that the spares for roadsters gets centralized so there is an accurate account of the spares, especially as they are available for purchase now. Logistics was probably very good when it was just 2500 cars with the company riding on it. Now we have become the love child of the dysfunctional Tesla family. As most of the cars are on the west coast of the US it makes sense to pull the spares back to there, but it’s really not a priority when they are banging out 5000 model 3s a week, and ramping up for the Semi, 2020 Roadster and model Y, and designing fart noises for software updates. Even 3rd parts shops will need to get spares from somewhere. What 3rd parts shop will give you a loaner for 6 weeks while they wait for their own parts to be delivered back to them. It’s easy to be frustrated with Tesla but the same would happen elsewhere if the part is simply not at the same workshop, or even in the same continent. I don’t know if 3rd party shops are not going to carry parts like internal PEM parts. Unless it’s someone with know stock they are just going to order from Tesla and be in the same boat. I hope I’m proved wrong but when they designed the car around one integrated component then that’s going to be an expensive part to replace and a hard part to obtain. So the fact they have agreed to replace a component in the OEM rather than simply replace the whole unit is surely progress. It’s not great progress unfortunately but it’s all we got.
Maybe @petergrub can chime in, do you have this part available or would you have to order it from the mothership. Being the largest known 3rd party workshop it would be interesting to know if you would break down a PEM for this component now that the PEMs are recognized as separate components inside a housing rather than a pandoras box that was never to be opened.

Reactions: outdoors
I appreciate the comments and certainly agree that the west coast is the roadster hub with lots more knowledgable people. What I've been learning is that there was a mass exodus of the Love Child engineers four years ago and that's when the more significant issues for the Roadster started???? The biggest problem that I see is that there is a very limited part supply for the roadster with no one willing to reproduce or repair these parts. Tesla considers this car Obsolete !! which pretty much leaves roadster owners out on a limb.

Reactions: X.l.r.8
Maybe @petergrub can chime in, do you have this part available or would you have to order it from the mothership.
I have a couple of 1.5 shifters from used Roadsters I can pull and send. I have enough parts from spare parts 1.5/2.X Roadsters that I don't usually need anything from Tesla. That also means I have a wealth of good electronics and PCBs to perform A/B tests with.

Being the largest known 3rd party workshop it would be interesting to know if you would break down a PEM for this component now that the PEMs are recognized as separate components inside a housing rather than a pandoras box that was never to be opened.
The shifter in the center console has a PCB and sends signals to the PEM. As far as breaking down a PEM, we don't do that. There aren't enough spare PEM floating around to make tearing down a PEM into parts viable. We are quite good at repairing the various PCBs throughout the PEM because of the lack of spare parts.

We don't stop at the PEM. Send us the defective high-voltage HVAC controller or the shifter PCB and we could likely diagnose and repair it.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I have a couple of 1.5 shifters from used Roadsters I can pull and send. I have enough parts from spare parts 1.5/2.X Roadsters that I don't usually need anything from Tesla. That also means I have a wealth of good electronics and PCBs to perform A/B tests with.

The shifter in the center console has a PCB and sends signals to the PEM. As far as breaking down a PEM, we don't do that. There aren't enough spare PEM floating around to make tearing down a PEM into parts viable. We are quite good at repairing the various PCBs throughout the PEM because of the lack of spare parts.

We don't stop at the PEM. Send us the defective high-voltage HVAC controller or the shifter PCB and we could likely diagnose and repair it.
I've been told that the other problem part is the "SWITCH PACK" but they can't verify if it's working or not as they have no bench testing parameters to compare it with. Do you have those parameters and would you be willing to share them with tesla?? I understand if you don't want to but it would help me tremendously as my roadster has been at the dealership for months.
thanks-Bruce

YES!!! The part came in and installed 2 hours later, tested as much as they could and it’s bavk home again.
70C317E7-7ABE-40D7-9613-3E7B24123255.jpeg