Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2008 Roadster won't move

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2008 Roadster that I got in Dec '18. A month ago I took the passenger seat out allowing me to ride with my Great Dane.We road for a few times with the top on getting her used to the car. Now I took the top off, screwed the part of the seat belt that attached to the seat to one of the holes that the seat bolted into. Now I started the car as usual and the car would not move. When I put the car in reverse the neutral lite stayed on and the drive lite was flashing. Same lites when I put it in drive. Th screen was showing SERVICE NEEDED with no code. I was able to get the car in TOW MODE and it did roll. Battery was full. I walked away. Tried again the next day and all worked as usual and I drove for about an hour, parked outside the garage. Later, I went to put it away and the same scenario only this time it did move forward but was then stuck in forward and the only way to get it into neutral was to turn the car off and then restart it. I haven't done anythig with it since then except to charge it. I always have my foot on the brake when putting into gear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

as an aside- I bought a Can Jrand had and still having a problem with the car not charging on 220v. I sent the charge cord and Can Jr to Henry Sharp and he had no trouble charging his Roadster with my setup. Sometimes it does work correctly and other times only for a few seconds or a few minutes. when not it could flash blue and white and end up red.

I'm new to the Roadtser and do love it but am a complete infant when it comes to the technical part.

Thanks for any help
DANE MAN

Th screen was showing SERVICE NEEDED with no code.
Do you know about the diagnostic menu, or downloading log files from your Roadster?

The diagnostic menu has an option to change the error messages to more meaningful messages. Change the "Alert txt" button from "Enduser" to "Debug" by pressing on it and let us know what the error message changes to if at all.

The log file can be downloaded and reviewed using several parsing tools outlined on Tom Saxton's website under the "Log Parsing Programs" section. I have instructions on parsing your log file error history here if you want to check it out for yourself and report back on your findings.

• Informative
Reactions: markwj and Mark77a
Hi Peter-
this is all alittle 'greek" to me. I tried clicking on your DIAGNOSTIC MENU and what came up was blank. I will try downloading the log file and using the parsor app. I appreciate your response. Will probably need a little "hand holding" for now.

update- the car will only go into drive now- I drove it for a couple miles- does the same except drive lite on steady and neutral lite is not on

Thanks
Bruce

I just downloaded the car info but My Mac won't let me open any of the parse downloads-- what do I need to download so that I can open them??

How do I get to the diagnostics?? I get tire info, enregy info torque, model and vin pEM and other temps, valet mode, Tow mode, energy use chargedata. It says that I need service at 10,000 miles but I got the car with 40,000 thousand miles??? I don't have a pin # and previous owner never used one. The maintenance needed window had a tiny Data code OX1121 6H92C does that mean anything???
thanks for being there

what do I need to download so that I can open them??
The Roadster should have downloaded a .tar file to the VehicleLogs folder on your flash drive. Do you see it there?

How do I get to the diagnostics??
Follow this link I included in my above post. The newsletter shows you how to tap on the touchscreen and the pin needed to access the diagnostics menu.

The maintenance needed window had a tiny Data code OX1121 6H92C does that mean anything???
Not sure yet for the maintenance service needed alert, but the data does have meaning for some of the other alerts.

I don't have a pin # and previous owner never used one.
A Tesla Service Center should be able to provide the original PIN, which should work as long as the prior owner never changed it. They will probably want you to go there physically (with the car), and some sort of proof that it's yours. You'll want to have Tesla update their records that you're the car's owner anyway, which is part of the process.

1F02964C-1E55-43C1-9A73-EA07D5EA3625.jpeg Charge door shut, then locate the charge port under the heat selector

I have been to the Tesla Dealer and they are unable to get a pin number- shows you what I'm dealing with!!!
The Roadster should have downloaded a .tar file to the VehicleLogs folder on your flash drive. Do you see it there?

Follow this link I included in my above post. The newsletter shows you how to tap on the touchscreen and the pin needed to access the diagnostics menu.

Not sure yet for the maintenance service needed alert, but the data does have meaning for some of the other alerts.
Hi Peter- when I go to the link all I get is boxes that are blank but I think I know how to get in with code I'll let you know

FIRST I get a vehiclelogs file the a file with my vin then flash drive opens to the downloaded pic. the only things I can see areahrlog, rms log soh_debug and WHMP.LOG but these are all Greek to me the others are unopenable to the computer- Any ideas?? Thank you all for your help!
SANY0201.JPG

FIRST I get a vehiclelogs file the a file with my vin then flash drive opens to the downloaded pic.
No need to open the log file as you have done. All of the log parsers will simply read the information from the files you show above. The log file itself is up one directory and called vms_log. Again, the log parser programs will have you point them to the .tar file that should look something like 201905211936.tar.