Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S P85 Battery Replacement Receipt - sharing is caring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those are 270 'rated' miles, right?

I guess I can appreciate that my climate (?) is what drives mine up closer to 300 miles.
Normally, I use SOC% as I don't trust any EV's Guess-O-Meter. Since the range was 269 at the Service Center and I had 158 miles range after driving 100 miles with a 2,000 climb in altitude, then had 270 predicted range miles after charging this morning, I think its dynamic, not rated range. Also, my experience with EV conversions I've had, the range changes after the battery has cycled several times. What I do know is this is a substantial improvement.

Initially I was concerned about the new battery being 350 Volts instead of the original 400. It all seems to work fine. We'll see what happens in warmer weather this summer.

Reactions: TwistedGray
Normally, I use SOC% as I don't trust any EV's Guess-O-Meter. Since the range was 269 at the Service Center and I had 158 miles range after driving 100 miles with a 2,000 climb in altitude, then had 270 predicted range miles after charging this morning, I think its dynamic, not rated range. Also, my experience with EV conversions I've had, the range changes after the battery has cycled several times. What I do know is this is a substantial improvement.

Initially I was concerned about the new battery being 350 Volts instead of the original 400. It all seems to work fine. We'll see what happens in warmer weather this summer.

It's a little sad that these older 85kwh batteries are only lasting 100-175k miles before needing replaced...and that they cost this much! Enjoy the next 4 years!!

Thanks for your thread. We just replaced our out of warranty battery with the upgrade from 2012 Signature Edition iteration 85kWh to the latest version available nee 90kWh battery and so far like the improved range and charging. I just picked it up yesterday (Earth Day 2021) so haven't tried V3 charging yet. This morning after sitting outside, unplugged, and minimal preconditioning at 44%SOC I got 110 kW on a V2 Supercharger here in Cheyenne, Wyoming. The cabin temp was 40° (Fahrenheit) when I turned on the climate control to prep the car. This is a new pack with a 4 year / 50,000 mile warranty. Total cost installed ~$22,000.
Wow $20K... Humm definitely not manageable for some. If it is $20K every 8 years or so and 4 of those years are horrible range reduced supercharging reduced performance, I think I better start saving. A gas car after 8 years of maintenance is not $20K total. Hopefully this is only a tesla thing so I can eventually switch out to something else once the other guys catch up in supercharging capability. Man knowing what I know now, I would've drove my gas car for many more years and switching to another brand EVs.

Wow $20K... Humm definitely not manageable for some. If it is $20K every 8 years or so and 4 of those years are horrible range reduced supercharging reduced performance, I think I better start saving. A gas car after 8 years of maintenance is not $20K total. Hopefully this is only a tesla thing so I can eventually switch out to something else once the other guys catch up in supercharging capability. Man knowing what I know now, I would've drove my gas car for many more years and switching to another brand EVs.
The simple solution is to do what everyone else does - buy Tesla(s) only ever under warranty.

Reactions: DJVoorhees
There are third party solutions for the original roadsters. I can imagine a time when there is third party competition on this pricing and service similar to the effect of TV prices, computers (except apple where limited third party exists), etc. Likely as more and more cars hit the road, more and more third parties will find ways to make this a business.

Reactions: navguy12
Thanks for your thread. We just replaced our out of warranty battery with the upgrade from 2012 Signature Edition iteration 85kWh to the latest version available nee 90kWh battery and so far like the improved range and charging. I just picked it up yesterday (Earth Day 2021) so haven't tried V3 charging yet. This morning after sitting outside, unplugged, and minimal preconditioning at 44%SOC I got 110 kW on a V2 Supercharger here in Cheyenne, Wyoming. The cabin temp was 40° (Fahrenheit) when I turned on the climate control to prep the car. This is a new pack with a 4 year / 50,000 mile warranty. Total cost installed ~$22,000.

Thanks for sharing, did you not get offered an 'core exchange' discount or anything?

Am planning to keep our X longterm, currently just at 4 years but good to see the option to get a new battery.

With a brand new X coming in at well over £100k+ without FSD, a battery swap for £20k is far cheaper than getting a brand new car.

Thank You for sharing this. If possible for can you place screenshot of "Nominal Full Capacity" for this battery?
Here is a charge to 100% in our 2012 Signature Edition P85. Keep in mind the "range" on the Guess-O-Meter of any EV is altered by temperature, recent driving speeds and elevation changes. This was obtained after driving from Denver area to Cheyenne, Wyoming (a 2,000 foot climb in elevation) at 78 mph, for 100 miles, then parking outside, unplugged overnight, then "preconditioned" when morning cabin temperature was 40°, then driven for 20 minutes "preheating for Supercharging". That means there were multiple factors which could decrease the range calculation in this scenario. Since we were getting 220 - 230 real world miles with the old 85kWh battery before it failed, and the original rated range was 256 miles (under ideal conditions), which almost always got us from Supercharger to Supercharger when traveling across the country, the new predicted range seems reasonable. Note: I don't use "rated range" as for me it is not useful information. Also, most of the time I use %SOC (Percent State Of Charge) as that really is what is most relevant to inform me of how much power is available in the battery. This screenshot was taken after the first charge following returning home from the battery swap. I don't usually charge to 100% but was curious. Typically I set the charge limit to 80% in summer and 90% in colder months. The Service Center thought I should have a range of "just under 300 miles". I'm skeptical, but open minded to the possibility under ideal driving conditions. I'm sure at 55mph on flat terrain in warm weather it might do that, but where's the fun in that? 😎

The bottom line for us without relying on specific quantification, following the battery swap, our Signature Red P85 has more range, charges faster, and has a battery which has a 4year/50,000 mile warranty. Also, if the SOC falls below 50% a few do a hard acceleration, the no longer shuts down because of the internal fault in the old out of warranty battery. 👍

I've had people in other forums such as Facebook groups report ranges closer to 300 miles after they did a similar upgrade. So far, all of them live in warmer climates with flatter terrain, and they don't have 80mph posted speed limits in their localities. 😉

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210423-105337_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210423-105337_Tesla.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 130
Thanks for the update, although it would be great if you can attach something like below. It says, "Nominal Full Pack" in photo. Below data is from "Scan My Tesla" app. Only if you can, or else please ignore...
From the App listing in Google Play: "
Removed some 12v signals for Model 3 which were corrupted in later car firmwares
Removed 'Battery degradation' calculation, it showed too high degradation as it also counted 'initial settling' of the battery from factory".

And ... "Information shown in this app was not meant for the public and may be inaccurate, subject to change or disappear as the car gets software updates. This information is presented for entertainment purposes, and for learning more about how your car works."

Cost is $8.99 + additional hardware purchases required for interface which is sold "for entertainment purposes". 🤣🤣🤣

Sorry, I thought you were asking about real world results, not what some "entertainment" software reports.

From the App listing in Google Play: "
Removed some 12v signals for Model 3 which were corrupted in later car firmwares
Removed 'Battery degradation' calculation, it showed too high degradation as it also counted 'initial settling' of the battery from factory".

And ... "Information shown in this app was not meant for the public and may be inaccurate, subject to change or disappear as the car gets software updates. This information is presented for entertainment purposes, and for learning more about how your car works."

Cost is $8.99 + additional hardware purchases required for interface which is sold "for entertainment purposes". 🤣🤣🤣

Sorry, I thought you were asking about real world results, not what some "entertainment" software reports.
Haha..agree..just curious, since I see different numbers in 85&90 batteries, thought of asking you guys since you have new battery.. thanks for checking though!!

Did they say how much it would have cost to install one of the 100kw packs?

At this point Tesla won't install a 100kWh pack in anything but a vehicle that came with one. (They say because of weight differences. And in fact they changed the seats/airbags/door card tethering as part of the upgrade from 90kWh to 100kWh for the few people that did get the upgrade.)

Thanks for sharing, did you not get offered an 'core exchange' discount or anything?

Am planning to keep our X longterm, currently just at 4 years but good to see the option to get a new battery.

With a brand new X coming in at well over £100k+ without FSD, a battery swap for £20k is far cheaper than getting a brand new car.
No core value to me. The price includes return of the core for recycling. If I had wanted to keep the core there would have been a core charge and then the logistics of moving a 1400 pound battery, neither of which I wanted. I'm happy to not have another project.

Since our car is fully paid off, we got to have the car we love, upgraded, to enjoy likely for many more years at a price we could afford.

Attachments

• 20171112_141055.jpg
    20171112_141055.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 114
Here is a charge to 100% in our 2012 Signature Edition P85. Keep in mind the "range" on the Guess-O-Meter of any EV is altered by temperature, recent driving speeds and elevation changes. This was obtained after driving from Denver area to Cheyenne, Wyoming (a 2,000 foot climb in elevation) at 78 mph, for 100 miles, then parking outside, unplugged overnight, then "preconditioned" when morning cabin temperature was 40°, then driven for 20 minutes "preheating for Supercharging". That means there were multiple factors which could decrease the range calculation in this scenario. Since we were getting 220 - 230 real world miles with the old 85kWh battery before it failed, and the original rated range was 256 miles (under ideal conditions), which almost always got us from Supercharger to Supercharger when traveling across the country, the new predicted range seems reasonable. Note: I don't use "rated range" as for me it is not useful information. Also, most of the time I use %SOC (Percent State Of Charge) as that really is what is most relevant to inform me of how much power is available in the battery. This screenshot was taken after the first charge following returning home from the battery swap. I don't usually charge to 100% but was curious. Typically I set the charge limit to 80% in summer and 90% in colder months. The Service Center thought I should have a range of "just under 300 miles". I'm skeptical, but open minded to the possibility under ideal driving conditions. I'm sure at 55mph on flat terrain in warm weather it might do that, but where's the fun in that? 😎

The bottom line for us without relying on specific quantification, following the battery swap, our Signature Red P85 has more range, charges faster, and has a battery which has a 4year/50,000 mile warranty. Also, if the SOC falls below 50% a few do a hard acceleration, the no longer shuts down because of the internal fault in the old out of warranty battery. 👍

I've had people in other forums such as Facebook groups report ranges closer to 300 miles after they did a similar upgrade. So far, all of them live in warmer climates with flatter terrain, and they don't have 80mph posted speed limits in their localities. 😉
No core value to me. The price includes return of the core for recycling. If I had wanted to keep the core there would have been a core charge and then the logistics of moving a 1400 pound battery, neither of which I wanted. I'm happy to not have another project.

Since our car is fully paid off, we got to have the car we love, upgraded, to enjoy likely for many more years at a price we could afford.

A little off topic, but did you know you can change the wheels in the car settings to indicate the style and size? That way the avatar in the app can match what you actually have installed and it can better estimate range based on 19" or 21".