Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S Signature Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine doesn't have wood trim. Would love to see a picture.
Ditto on the picture. Maybe Founders editions had this? Also I recall the Elon signature being on very early ones; sub 100, again maybe only Founders edition.

Mine has the discountinued lacewood trim and I declined the carbon fiber spoiler (still think they look ugly). No extra badging that I can find.

Thanks for the responses. But DANG IT!! I was in Tempe at the service center and they had a 2012 Sig. Red/White #588 that had just arrived for reconditioning (it was a sold CPO) ... too bad it was not mine :-( and I forgot to look at the dash. It did have the signature "script" on the lift gate chrome molding and also the fender badges. And @Jason S It had the CF spoiler which looked horrible after weathering. It was faded and appeared to be peeling (perhaps too much AZ. sunshine)??

Thanks for the responses. But DANG IT!! I was in Tempe at the service center and they had a 2012 Sig. Red/White #588 that had just arrived for reconditioning (it was a sold CPO) ... too bad it was not mine :-( and I forgot to look at the dash. It did have the signature "script" on the lift gate chrome molding and also the fender badges. And @Jason S It had the CF spoiler which looked horrible after weathering. It was faded and appeared to be peeling (perhaps too much AZ. sunshine)??

Hey - I put a deposit down on that one! :) Thanks for the update! I hadn't heard anything from anyone in a couple of weeks. Tempe is also currently working on an issue with my wife's 2013 Model S (and I need to head up to Scottsdale next week for a minor Roadster repair - trunk strut replacement). Looks like I'm keeping the local SC's busy.

Well, good to know it's about 12 miles away from me.

If you can share any other observations from your viewing I'd appreciate it. The car was in Florida, so it's not the AZ heat damaging that spoiler.

Hope yours arrives soon as well!

Hey - I put a deposit down on that one! :) Thanks for the update! I hadn't heard anything from anyone in a couple of weeks. Tempe is also currently working on an issue with my wife's 2013 Model S (and I need to head up to Scottsdale next week for a minor Roadster repair - trunk strut replacement). Looks like I'm keeping the local SC's busy.

Well, good to know it's about 12 miles away from me.

If you can share any other observations from your viewing I'd appreciate it. The car was in Florida, so it's not the AZ heat damaging that spoiler.

Hope yours arrives soon as well!

I have several pictures of the actual car that I can share with you "if you like" and can tell you as much as I saw if you have any questions. Though I guess if you're that close you could just cruise over there and see it in person. In any case I'll gladly share what I have. I actually was sitting in the car looking it over, was trying to see how far 2012 M/S's have been updated with features, and if the touch screen was similar in function to the "17 M/S. "Understanding that some features that were pushed out to the fleet would not apply to older cars as they likely would be hardware limited from some or many features contained in recent updates".

Last edited:
I still have Signature #61 P85 in Signature Red, white interior, matte Obeche trim, 21" silver turbines. 45k miles and going strong. It has the original glossy CF spoiler in great condition (no peeling etc.), after 5 years in California sunshine. The white seats are still perfectly white, never had a problem with staining or discoloration. The car has had one drivetrain replacement and one battery replacement, both under warranty; the battery replacement was supposed to be temporary (a "B" pack to replace the original degraded "A" pack), but I've had the "B" pack for a year now with no word from the service center, so it seems like I'm keeping it. Most likely I'll hold onto this car at least until the 2019-2020 refresh of the line; it's just too wonderful a car to give up!

I have several pictures of the actual car that I can share with you "if you like" and can tell you as much as I saw if you have any questions. Though I guess if you're that close you could just cruise over there and see it in person. In any case I'll gladly share what I have. I actually was sitting in the car looking it over, was trying to see how far 2012 M/S's have been updated with features, and if the touch screen was similar in function to the "17 M/S. "Understanding that some features that were pushed out to the fleet would not apply to older cars as they likely would be hardware limited from some or many features contained in recent updates".

This is great. LOL. I actually love that you got to see the car before me. Sounds like it's very similar to yours so I hope it was a good preview of what you're getting. Will send you a private message right now.

This is great. LOL. I actually love that you got to see the car before me. Sounds like it's very similar to yours so I hope it was a good preview of what you're getting. Will send you a private message right now.

Very similar indeed the only differences are I have Obeche Gloss décor, 19" wheels, and no CF spoiler .... will send specifics in reply to your PM now.

Perhaps I can find a member on here who is in the Palm Springs CA. area and can scope out my Sig. # 162 and send me some spy photos?? The communication from anyone @ Tesla went dark (with exception of one canned congratulatory email) the moment the deposit was made.

Perhaps I can find a member on here who is in the Palm Springs CA. area and can scope out my Sig. # 162 and send me some spy photos?? The communication from anyone @ Tesla went dark (with exception of one canned congratulatory email) the moment the deposit was made.

I just wanted to give a big public thank you to tccartier! I just viewed his spy shots of signature red P85 VIN 588 with white interior. The pics simply made my night!

It was great to see actual pictures of the car, not stock photos. When I bought my CPO Roadster in 2013 I was able to view actual pictures of the car. I noticed they're not doing that with the CPO Model S's - probably due to much higher volume. These were the first real pictures of this car I'm committed to buying. Condition looks quite good - especially for a 5-year old vehicle.

Signature red is simply beautiful on this car. This color combination is perfect for me!

I hope someone can return the favor to tccartier. It's a really nice treat.

I just wanted to give a big public thank you to tccartier! I just viewed his spy shots of signature red P85 VIN 588 with white interior. The pics simply made my night!

It was great to see actual pictures of the car, not stock photos. When I bought my CPO Roadster in 2013 I was able to view actual pictures of the car. I noticed they're not doing that with the CPO Model S's - probably due to much higher volume. These were the first real pictures of this car I'm committed to buying. Condition looks quite good - especially for a 5-year old vehicle.

Signature red is simply beautiful on this car. This color combination is perfect for me!

I hope someone can return the favor to tccartier. It's a really nice treat.

You are quite welcome!! Guess I was in the right place at the right time lol!!

No luck on my Sig. #162 though :-( I called the Palm Springs service center and they told me the car was "in the body shop" getting "minor"?? paint issues handled. They refused to take new and / or send me any pictures of the car in it's (pre "body work" re-conditioning state when it was traded in). Makes me wonder what they are hiding???? For all I know the thing could have had significant damage (it was part of their loaner fleet at that location as it was traded in there) since at least August of 2016! when it was listed for sale.

Still hoping for the best however. They reassured me that essentially I would be getting for all intents and purposes, a "New 2012 Signature Car. But... the CPO buying process leaves a bit to be desired IMHO.

Reactions: SoCalLawyer
I am S00705 and a P85 loaded. I have seen a couple of times people selling their MS and saying it was a Sig but simply has the Sig color paint and not the "S"xxxxxx vin.

I got to see S000009 and it did not have the Signature badge on the trim to the left of the right hand vent. I am 99% sure none had that and that pic was of a sticker someone placed on the dash trim. I remember seeing the picture and thought it looked great! The places I know of that it can be will be the turn signal markers, the rear trim on lift gate, the 17 inch screen, and the instrument screen above steering wheel. Tough part about the nose cone or exterior trim representing "Sig" or not is some of mine was replaced (warranty) and is the newest versions. I was told they do not make a replacement parts with the script :(. So the only real way is to look at the VIN or the screens inside.

I do hope someday (not 30yrs from now) they are collectible. Signature is supposed to be the first 1,000 made but I believe there was a few just above that number for some reason. And Canada has some vins above 1,000 that were Sigs. I could never get a straight answer from Tesla about what the actual range is for the Sig vins. Anyone know for sure?