Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S Signature Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen quite a few adds stating "Signature". These happened to appeared to be the Sig red color. But the rest of the car had no badging for Sig and the Vin # did not have the "S". To top if off all of them were well over the 2000+ vin number. I've even seen some dealers claim they have a "performance" model just because it had the 21" wheels. lol
I suspect many of them are "confused" (putting it politely), being multi-coat red rather than Sig Red. Would like to see some links still. Thanks.

FYI - I have a Sig Red P85+ With parking sensors, power folding mirrors, tire pressure sensors that display PSI on the instrument cluster, LTE, Sig Red paint and Sig white interior. Jerome helped me get it modified and I am so grateful. It is an awesome setup.

You are the envy of Sig S owners. Wow. That may be one of the best configs possible. Congrats. Jerome is awesome. When I worked for Tesla, I sat very near him. Kickass dude

Yup, that's multi-coat red, not sig. Multi-coat is a slightly brighter red. The interior is non-whilte as well.
It does have the lacewood trim, which is pretty rare. I think that was discontinued in 2014, maybe late 2013?

"confused" is one way of saying "wrong", I guess

Yup, that's multi-coat red, not sig. Multi-coat is a slightly brighter red. The interior is non-whilte as well.
It does have the lacewood trim, which is pretty rare. I think that was discontinued in 2014, maybe late 2013?

"confused" is one way of saying "wrong", I guess

I think a lot of the confusion stems from how the used car sites (e.g., Cars.com and Autotrader) classify the Model S. Not sure if it's an issue with those sites themselves or whatever database is being used to generate those categories. But from what I can remember from browsing used car listings, after model year, the categories are something like base, performance, and signature performance. So some listings will be confusing.

Most of us here know more useful categories beyond model year are battery size, AP (none/AP1/AP2), single vs. dual motor, P vs. non-P, etc.

However, not sure how best to get the rest of the industry to use such categories.

Many sigs have B batteries - replaced under warranty back when they just replaced with a new pack (now they either put in a refurbished one or they give a loaner pack while repairs are done on your own)

What is the difference? My CPO Sales advisor told me that the pack on my newly purchased M/S was replaced in Nov. 2015 (car is a 2012). Any guess as to what it might have been replaced with at the time? What if any are the advantages of a "B" pack?

The main benefit is better faster supercharging. A packs are limited to 90 kW, subsequent packs have a limit of 120 kW.

Some have stated concerns about longevity in the A packs . But those honestly don't seem to have much merit in my opinion.

• Helpful
Reactions: tccartier
Still have my fairly rare black / black / black carbon fiber / dark rimmed P85 Signature.

It's been a good car overall except for the battery connector failure but that was handled well by Tesla. A pack. 15k. Rated 90% range 232.

DSC00011.JPG
20140830_181348.jpg

Still have my fairly rare black / black / black carbon fiber / dark rimmed P85 Signature.

It's been a good car overall except for the battery connector failure but that was handled well by Tesla. A pack. 15k. Rated 90% range 232.

View attachment 235985 View attachment 235986
NICE...my second choice after w/w/cc....Sig Red never did anything for me. It's been great reading this thread. Thanks to all the "old timers" who posted!
DSC_0071SEA _838DSC_0071.JPG

Reactions: walla2
NICE...my second choice after w/w/cc....Sig Red never did anything for me. It's been great reading this thread. Thanks to all the "old timers" who posted!View attachment 236014

Some of us are "New Timers" lol!! I just purchased a 2012 Sig Vin#162 so I am new to the Tesla family. I'm part of the next wave of early adopters who are taking the plunge "arguably a BIGGER plunge" because we are going to take these cars beyond warranty safety nets, and into uncharted waters pressing them on as daily drivers etc. Many of the original Model S purchasers have moved on by trading up etc.

Reactions: TMobe and walla2
The buyers in 2012 were buying a $100,000 vehicle with unproven technology from a company that had a good chance of disappearing in a few months. The deposit was $40,000 to Tesla years before the first delivery. There were 3 superchargers total, a few cars total available for test drive - nearly all buyers sat in a Model S for the first time after they handed over 100k. There were just a handful of service centers. There is no 'bigger plunge.'

The buyers in 2012 were buying a $100,000 vehicle with unproven technology from a company that had a good chance of disappearing in a few months. The deposit was $40,000 to Tesla years before the first delivery. There were 3 superchargers total, a few cars total available for test drive - nearly all buyers sat in a Model S for the first time after they handed over 100k. There were just a handful of service centers. There is no 'bigger plunge.'

Understood I am well aware of all of these things and Yes the original owners took considerable risk. But as these cars as CPO units filter down the food chain falling to within the reach of more average joes as used cars, I would argue that the risk is similar for many of, but not all the same reasons.

1. For many a $40k car is as big an investment as a percentage of household DTI ratio as it was for those that could afford a $100k car in 2012. it is a large chunk of change to spend for many.

2. The technology from my perspective "though better known" is still essentially unproven for the type of longevity many seek and need in a used car. I for one am going to need my newly acquired 2012 car to last 7-10 years "from now" as a daily driver which will take it to potential mileage and age. etc. not yet seen and well beyond any applicable warranties. so again I would argue that the risk to me based on my budget is just as great as the risk for those who could afford to, and did pony up in 2012. Make no mistake, CPO buyers today are still on the front end of the adoption bell curve.

3. The CPO program as it exists still affords the buyer no real opportunities to see and drive "the actual car they are purchasing" and like in 2012 requires a "non refundable" deposit of $1-2k depending on the age of the vehicle etc. (granted it's not $40k but as a percentage of budget it could be formidable for many who want to buy in). Many, including myself, will not likely see their actual car until delivery day which is likely the first time I will be able to drive it. *Note I have driven Model S on one occasion about a year or so ago, but it was NOT a 2012 vintage and NOT the one i'm buying.

4. Those that are more "well off" often marginalize the efforts of those less so. But from the average Joe car buyers perspective the decision to buy in to the tech in the form of a used Model S, are faced with many of the same concerns and challenges the original buyers had in 2012. The only difference is the dollar amounts which "all else being equal" are linear.

At the end of the day my decision to purchase a "used" Model S is based on the fact/s that I like the car, I like the tech., and I too choose to look forward and be part of the solution. But make no mistake the concerns for me and others like me ARE A THING! much as they were in 2012 and it is a leap of faith as no one has seen what a 2012 Model S will be performing like or will need to keep it running in 2022 and beyond.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMobe
4. Those that are more "well off" often marginalize the efforts of those less so.

Those that are less "well off" often marginalize the efforts of those more so too.

I came from poverty, my parents Up's themselves to middle class, and allowed me to have the opportunity to succeed and the work ethic to do what few others are willing to do. As soon as I did, I became a devil of the top 1% with a near 50% tax bracket and people wanting to take more because of my success.

Don't forget that we all marginalize what we aren't and what we don't know. It's humane nature unfortunately and it has been that way since the beginning of humanity.

Those that are less "well off" often marginalize the efforts of those more so too.

I came from poverty, my parents Up's themselves to middle class, and allowed me to have the opportunity to succeed and the work ethic to do what few others are willing to do. As soon as I did, I became a devil of the top 1% with a near 50% tax bracket and people wanting to take more because of my success.

Don't forget that we all marginalize what we aren't and what we don't know. It's humane nature unfortunately and it has been that way since the beginning of humanity.

Hold on.... I did not mean to imply that you were such an individual or to take a swipe at you. If so interpreted I offer apologies. I don't begrudge anyone who is successful and I doubt you are any sort of devil lol!!

And yes, I'm aware that all coins are two sided and perceptions can be skewed both up and down.

Actually I have only bought one "new car" in my life and that was in 1977 ( OH THE HORROR ) it was a Plymouth Arrow.

The 2012 Model S I just bought is the most expensive car I have EVER purchased "by choice" but I just had to have one!! I could have done it then but for other reasons it just did not make financial sense for me at the time, Hell it still doesn't make financial sense but now I don't have to care!! because those reasons are gone lol !!

There is simply nothing else out there like it. Even though nearly all the tech in the Model S has been around for some time, decades in some cases, no one put the puzzle together.

Thank you Elon for having the vision to see beyond the naysayers , and Thank you Walla2 and those like you who made some awesome used Tesla's for people like me living in "say the top 30%"

Reactions: walla2
So glad this thread exists - just purchased S00026 via CPO on Monday and cannot wait to take possession of it. The standard 8-10 week delivery date was provided via phone call minutes after placing the order. I'm okay with the wait for it as long as it checks out alright. As mentioned, very scary buying sight unseen but I'm hoping for the best.