Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 8th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

2013 Model S sudden battery failure

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
It just seems pretty risky from a financial point of view to hold any Tesla once its battery pack warranty is over.
I agree, but I think it’s also possible to consider that risk and come out ahead.

I bought my car expecting a useful life of 8 years. That said, I could see some value in keeping it 10, but would consider those two extra years like “bonus” years. If it crapped out after 8 years and a day, that would be a bummer, but I’d basically sell it for scrap and move on having got what I expected out of the car. On the contrary, if it kept going for another 2 years without major issues, that’s clearly a financial benefit.

People are naturally risk averse and thus place more value on things like warranties than would otherwise pencil out - but if you get down to cold hard numbers I think it’s rarely if ever financially beneficial to dump a depreciated out of warranty car for a new one with a warranty to avoid repair costs. Of course there are lots of other reasons to want a new car - chief among them “because I want one”, and I totally get that too. That new car smell…. ;)

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
Yes, I have. I had reached out to multiple service centers and I would get one of below:
1.) I would be totally ghosted when sending email inquiry. No response on emails regarding alternative battery replacement.
2.) Visiting in person result in "Sorry we only do brand new battery replacement that your vehicle qualify for which is the 90kwh pack."

😩
Ugh, what a bummer. Particularly as plenty of others have posted here confirming they were offered and received refurbished packs at a considerable savings.

This is the sort of inconsistency that really makes me nervous about continuing to own a Tesla.

Resolution: Replaced the original, just-out-of-warranty S85 HV battery with 62K miles for $11k. Traded car for a sophisticated German plug-in hybrid with a 7 year warranty, 35-40 mpg with zero range anxiety, backed by a responsive, courteous, transparent local SC. There were some high points to our 8 1/2 year Model S experience but in the overall it was a massive disappointment.

SO16

Feb 25, 2016
MI
Resolution: Replaced the original, just-out-of-warranty S85 HV battery with 62K miles for $11k. Traded car for a sophisticated German plug-in hybrid with a 7 year warranty, 35-40 mpg with zero range anxiety, backed by a responsive, courteous, transparent local SC. There were some high points to our 8 1/2 year Model S experience but in the overall it was a massive disappointment.
Please report back in 8.5 years of this car ownership for a better comparison.

My feelings after 9-1/2 years are basically yours,

Some low points over 9-1/2 years,
overall it was a revolutionary, expensive, disappointment.
In the end it is just an expensive disappointment.
…I’ll buy two more…

• Funny
Reactions: AustinP

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC