Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 P85, 60K miles, 238 max range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VGwr5Hf.png

so i called my local service center, they were like...

48xiNxE.jpg

she goes in next week, have another small thing to clear up as well.

she charged to 251 at 100% when i picked her up in Dec of last year, put on 3000 miles since. typically charge to 60-70% on a 12v but occasionally use a 30amp at home.

i just thought i'd post to see if anyone has any idea/theory as to why? have we seen this before?

i still love the car, this isn't a bash tesla thread. thanks!

nobody?

so last night the cluster screen said i had 171 miles of charge left.
the "rated" miles on the center screen said 204 miles.

Madison Wisconsin SC is 124 miles away, and the Nav said I would arrive with 6% charge remaining.

has anyone else seen this kind of thing?

how about this?
an electric train leaves the station 24 miles from.... hello?

Just to answer the economy question what wh/m are you seeing on the trip meter.

I don't know what direction you are coming from but I am 99miles from said Supercharger (SC usually is used as service center) I have 158miles and projects 15% left.
Past 15mile use I am seeing 301 in my 2014 P85.

Reactions: Olds442
Yesterday i saw it was 258, which was all city driving and probably the lowest i've seen it before. i even remarked to my gal that that's the lowest i'd seen. today i was at 325 because i had her son in the car and we did a couple launches and we were in the funeral procession. set to average range it reads 118 miles. The battery indicator says 130.

so 55% is 130 miles remaining when you toggle between % and miles remaining.
also, i had posted pics but realized it was set to "instant range" and not "average range" so the data didn't support what you typically see between the indicators on each screen. capacity and range estimate. so i was adding confusion where it wasn't needed.

Last edited:
Tesla is not going to address your rated range at 100% charge concern. 238 is a little low for a car with 60K miles. Mine has 62K miles and is down 6 miles from when it was brand new vs yours which is down 17 miles.

But Tesla doesn't warranty degradation and this isn't severe degradation.

Now if you can show this is not normal degradation, then you'd have a shot at getting it fixed. The only way you're going to show that is if you can look at the 96 strings on the CANBUS and see if one or more of those strings are have a much lower voltage than the others under moderate load. i.e. turn on the the AC or heater max and and use something like TM-Spy to look at the voltage of all 96 strings. You'll need a CANBUS to ODBII adapter and an an ELM327 bluetooth dongle(like $15 on Amazon).

1 238 is a little low for a car with 60K miles.

But Tesla doesn't warranty degradation and this isn't severe degradation.

2 Now if you can show this is not normal degradation, then you'd have a shot at getting it fixed.
1 265 miles new to 238 miles now is 89% of the original battery capacity. i agree that's a bit low,

2 my concern is that in the last 3,000 miles it went from 251 in winter to 238 in summer. 6 months, 3,000 miles. that's not severe to you?

this quoting you isn't an attack, i understand what you are conveying, i just think going from 251 to 238 so fast is rather concerning.

1 265 miles new to 238 miles now is 89% of the original battery capacity. i agree that's a bit low,

2 my concern is that in the last 3,000 miles it went from 251 in winter to 238 in summer. 6 months, 3,000 miles. that's not severe to you?

this quoting you isn't an attack, i understand what you are conveying, i just think going from 251 to 238 so fast is rather concerning.

Doesn't sound good. You probably have a bad string or two.

Give the battery a full cycle. Run it all the way down to 0 miles and keep going around the block near your house until the battery warnings get serious.

Then roll it home and plug it in, let it fully charge all the way to 100%

Get the cells balanced and see how it does.

Probably the worst thing you can do is to run the battery to 0% SOC. That will make sure you get the fastest degradation.

Reactions: EVSteve
Probably the worst thing you can do is to run the battery to 0% SOC. That will make sure you get the fastest degradation.

I don't believe it's possible to bring the Tesla battery to actually zero. They have a buffer in there. We ride ours hard and put it away wet as the saying goes. Regularly charging to 100% and driving it down often to 0 miles. As much as once a week on the latter and three to four times a week on the former. We have a hundred and nine thousand miles on the odometer and still get a full charge of 258.

I guess my point is, enjoy the car! Quit worrying about these details. Besides, you have an 8 year warranty on the battery. Use it!

yeah they said to cycle it a few times between close to 0 and up to 100%. ran it down to 7% today and charging now. if nothing changes after a couple two-three cycles we'll revisit it. i suspect it was from not charging it up very much past 60-70%. they said to run the cycle at least once a month.

i'll post my results so people lurking can see any changes etc. thanks for all the replies.

VGwr5Hf.png

so i called my local service center, they were like...

48xiNxE.jpg

she goes in next week, have another small thing to clear up as well.

she charged to 251 at 100% when i picked her up in Dec of last year, put on 3000 miles since. typically charge to 60-70% on a 12v but occasionally use a 30amp at home.

i just thought i'd post to see if anyone has any idea/theory as to why? have we seen this before?

i still love the car, this isn't a bash tesla thread. thanks!
When I traded my p85 in, it was getting about 247-248 on a full charge with about 55k miles on it; 2014, about 2.5yrs of ownership. Not exactly apples to apples, but maybe a helpful data point.