Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 P85 transmission service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I recently did the fluid service in my 2013 P85. Service was done with about 18.5k miles on the replaced drive unit. The service itself was very straightforward, and I have the video linked below. However, after having the fluid analyzed by Blackstone labs, the iron content in the fluid is about 700% the global average, at 142ppm. Everything else falls within the "acceptable" range for a first service, IMO. Does anyone have a definitive answer about the iron content (normal, not normal, it's about to explode), or am I the guinea pig here?

Video -
Screenshot_20171003-011714.jpg

Are Blackstone comparing this to engine oil? They seem rather confused since they do say its a Tesla transmission, but then they say "If this is the 2nd or 3rd" fluid change. that's a bizarre statement for transmission fluid. And they suggest checking it a gain in 18.5k miles? Those sound far closer to engine oil intervals than transmission fluid intervals.

Are Blackstone comparing this to engine oil?

I use Blackstone for UOAs on airplanes and cars. They have a "benchmark" analysis of clean Dexron VI, as they indicate on the report that is the fluid in use. If they have received other UOA requests from other Tesla DU changes, then they incorporate that into the analysis.

If they don't, it's possible they are treating it as a "transmission", and applying this generically to their advice.

Are Blackstone comparing this to engine oil? They seem rather confused since they do say its a Tesla transmission, but then they say "If this is the 2nd or 3rd" fluid change. that's a bizarre statement for transmission fluid. And they suggest checking it a gain in 18.5k miles? Those sound far closer to engine oil intervals than transmission fluid intervals.
Even so, what would be the chemically relevant purpose to elevated iron levels in a viscous lubricant meant for high temp operation?

Look at what they are seeing. The car has 54k miles and the oil has 18k. Their assumption would be that it's been changed once prior (as there isn't enough room on the form to give a whole rundown).

Even so, what would be the chemically relevant purpose to elevated iron levels in a viscous lubricant meant for high temp operation?
This is what I'm trying to find out. The service centers don't analyze the fluid, so they have no idea if the elevated iron is normal for first service, or if there's an underlying issue. I may elevate this through tesla service to see if I can get any further info, but last time I did, they told me that servicing my own vehicle can void my warranty.