Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Replaced Rotors at 40k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an FYI for other Model S owners.

Had intermittent rotor rubbing/squealing sounds from the front passenger side at lower speeds and coming to a stop without foot on the brake. Sometimes not even regen and just cruising along. My brakes also squeal whenever applying them (Tesla says normal due to low use) Also have random chirping sounds (seems mostly on turns).

Tesla replaced the rotors (just out of warranty period, Tesla replaced free under goodwill). Tech told me the rotors were redesigned (something about casting, I didn't catch the details) After replacement, noises are gone as well as brake squeals. Still have some random chirping sounds on turns but maybe less frequent, still observing.

The old front rotors had maybe a 1mm? lip on the outside (didn't check inside). Surprised by this wear since I drive super slow and using regen braking mostly. Friction brakes are probably deployed from 5-10 mph to 0. This level of wear approximates other European car's I have owned/seen in 40k miles that have non regen braking. Anyway, surprising amount of wear for very little use. Wonder what others see. Pads are at about 7-8mm (eyeballed)