Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Annual Shareholders Meeting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair point, but keep in mind that many of the most famous and public figures in history have been assassinated by crazies...Lincoln, MLK, JFK, John Lennon, Reagan...Elon is quickly moving towards becoming the most famous person of the 21st Century and so I put the risk as high for assassination attempts...I'm not trying to stir up fear but I see this risk of an assassination attempt being legitimate, whether it's 1% or 25% I have no idea.

We need to idle down.

VG, It may need to be toned down but TSLAopt's basic concern is legitimate. I will leave it at that.

TSLAopt's basic concern is indeed legitimate, but we could let go of discussing it in terms of yesterday's meeting and leave it as the general concern it is... there was this risk factor thread started a month or two ago in this investor's section.

Risks to Tesla business

I believe we need to get Elon's back. Specifically, a grass roots movement supporting a "Solar Electric Economy".

In a very real sense I think Elon feels as though he is standing alone. Our community should organize to advocate and support Electrical Vehicles, Solar Power, Stationary storage............the aggregates of a "Solar Electric Eononmy".

Prescreen questions is a very bad idea for corporate governance ... Especially if shareholders are in disagreement w/ management .

The guy traveled to site, stood in line, and asked a question he cared about, as is his right as a shareholder. If u want "better" questions, get in line and ask your own questions next year.

Why not just have people ask their questions in advanced and let shareholders vote on the questions? This would definitely cut down on asking the same question 100 times. Though probably would not prevent this kind of situation because of his first question was fine, then he followed up on it. So he probably would have avoided the screening.

The vast majority of people, even those with some kind of mental health issues, never cause trouble.

It makes me wonder what people here would have said about me if I'd gone to the shareholder meeting and asked Elon what Tesla intended to do about the possible rise of Supercharger Nomads in the future (bands or tribes of people that live in Teslas and subsist off the free Supercharger network, thereby crowding out other customers). This is a serious question I have, and I even wrote a thread about it in the Charging Infrastructure forum.

People in real life think I'm crazy… but I just think differently. I am no genius but I know it is tough when most people don't understand your thought processes.

Tesla can easily deal with this by setting limits to how much you can charge at the same supercharger per day. As long as you would have asked the question in a normal way it wouldn't be a problem.

I believe we need to get Elon's back. Specifically, a grass roots movement supporting a "Solar Electric Economy".

In a very real sense I think Elon feels as though he is standing alone. Our community should organize to advocate and support Electrical Vehicles, Solar Power, Stationary storage............the aggregates of a "Solar Electric Eononmy".

To be honest, I think the advocacy part is fine. What really needs to happen is that new writers need better education on the topic. I still see many people and articles think that lithium ion batteries are toxic and/or contain rare earth metals. Then you also have some issues on advocacy part where advocates promise technology they don't understand themselves and then when that technology does not materialize people get skeptical.

And to be honest, I don't know if there is a way to fix either. Most authors sell their articles through 3rd party aggregators and ignore the comments. And on the last part, it is kind of hard to correct people from getting ahead of themselves because there is no private messaging on comments and you don't exactly want to detract from an advocate.

I would have liked to hear more gen3 questions, considering how it's very important it does sell well right across the globe.
I would like to see the 300miles range gen3 priced at 40k.
Considering Elons optimism to do better than 30% in battery production cost.
Elons hint to sharing teslas knowledge (and as others have said) shows he knows teslas success is linked to all car manufacturers being able to make affordable EVs.

i remember it as one of the most valuable...

The video now covers that part. What I hear is "... so I think there is certainly the potential there, for Tesla to be one of the most valuable companies in the world, in the long term. Contingent [...] on execution. of course."

(Based on the potential of Fremont achieving a production of 500k, and then there being multiple factories in the world.)

To me it sounded like he sees that as a rather natural outcome of developments, not just as a theoretical possibility. And maybe I should add that I take him very seriously when he says something like this. Aside from that others on this forum, including myself years ago, have already talked about this possibility. It is something else when Elon says it and it sounds like he is ready to go there.

Was no-one concerned about the continued delay of the Model X and the blame being laid again on the falcon doors?

Elon seems to use terms like "incredibly difficult" when referring to the falcon doors. I assume as in, producing them to resist rain, car washes, thousands of openings and closings, and all the other real-world stresses. Same manufacturing processes any other manufacturer goes through when testing their cars for reliability.

He never says anything else is delayed about the Model X. I am minded to think that apart from the falcon doors, and the obvious strains on manufacturing capacity we have today - the Model X is ready to produce.

It could be said that a few people might buy a conventional SUV because it has innovative doors, but no-one buys a battery-electric SUV because it has also has innovative doors... they're buying it because it's battery-electric. Tesla could put conventional rear doors (with motorised handles ofc) onto it and sell it just fine if they realise they can't produce reliable falcon doors.

Was no-one concerned about the continued delay of the Model X and the blame being laid again on the falcon doors?

Elon seems to use terms like "incredibly difficult" when referring to the falcon doors. I assume as in, producing them to resist rain, car washes, thousands of openings and closings, and all the other real-world stresses. Same manufacturing processes any other manufacturer goes through when testing their cars for reliability.

He never says anything else is delayed about the Model X. I am minded to think that apart from the falcon doors, and the obvious strains on manufacturing capacity we have today - the Model X is ready to produce.

It could be said that a few people might buy a conventional SUV because it has innovative doors, but no-one buys a battery-electric SUV because it has also has innovative doors... they're buying it because it's battery-electric. Tesla could put conventional rear doors (with motorised handles ofc) onto it and sell it just fine if they realise they can't produce reliable falcon doors.

Elon spoke about falcon doors a bit at the meeting. He said he wanted to create something akin to a work of art, he wanted people to see back seats almost framed once the door is opened. He spoke very passionately about the quality outcome he wanted to achieve, he wanted people to fall in love with the car. It seems that his bar is higher than just selling cars.

I see the modelX as a fill-in-the-gap model while the giga factories get built for gen3.
8 years would be a long time to only have 1 model.
I would be more curious to see if tesla are working more than 1 gen3 platform car.
If the S and X are done, a scaled down version won't be as hard as one from scratch, or a wagon option.

One vote per person is democracy, I find it acceptable in society but not in investing, with my money. It is not up to us to decide, corporate governance is set the way it is, votes are weighted according to investment.:smile:

Voting based on shares would still be a democratic process. If you look at shares as votes. I guess you could easier to call it a republic though. Where you would be a representative of the votes.

The reason why I think it is better to have 1 vote per person is simple. In the case of Tesla, Musk owns enough votes to pick and chose the questions easily. Now sure he can always avoid answering questions if he wishes to, but an investor probably wants to know what questions are being avoided in case of issues. 1 vote per person insures integrity of the process.

Voting based on shares would still be a democratic process. If you look at shares as votes. I guess you could easier to call it a republic though. Where you would be a representative of the votes.

The reason why I think it is better to have 1 vote per person is simple. In the case of Tesla, Musk owns enough votes to pick and chose the questions easily. Now sure he can always avoid answering questions if he wishes to, but an investor probably wants to know what questions are being avoided in case of issues. 1 vote per person insures integrity of the process.

If there were 1 vote per person regardless of the investment size, then Elon could be voted out as he would have only one vote in a democratic Tesla community:crying: