Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Tesla Model S 85 - Build Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was about 1,100 miles total. For me it ended up working out driving faster (about 90) cause I wanted to get to the next station with 5-10%. And if I drove 85-80, the arrival % was 15-20%.
I think next time just to see, I may go one way at 75 and see the end results, but when entering everything into ABRB, it said 85mph was the shortest arrival time. I had to adjust all the SOC arrival and charge stops percentages to 40 or 50%.
I do like driving above 80 MPH but I am too worried of getting pulled over in the middle of the country so I don't even chance it. 70 MPH pretty much is perfect to go any where in USA. In TX 70 MPH is a bit too slow but folks just go around me or I pull over for them to pass when its a small road. But yes arriving at 5% would always be ideal but i have seen recently too many Ss dying at 17% ish for me to be comfortable risking my biscuit.

Also, I guess I only do 1 or 2 major long trips a year so I dont mind slow charging. I am holding out to get the new Model X long range. I think that will be the ultimate Tesla for my family.

What tires/rim combination are you running? I have a similar car to yours (late 2014 P85+) and was considering switching from my 19" slipstreams to a set of staggered 20" Mx slipstreams, but thought I would gauge what other vintage cars are running.
I can highly recommend a set of 20"Mx slipstreams on a p85 , noticeable improvement in rear grip and cornering stability due to wider tyre and less side wall. they look great on the car and don't rub , they fill the wheel arches nicely although more prone to kerb rash as they sit further out , less pothole protection than the 19" with slightly more tyre noise and a small efficiency impact .

After listing things like that it sounds like more downsides , for me 19" to 20" was was a better choice than 19" to 21"

Reactions: xAgyex
What tires/rim combination are you running? I have a similar car to yours (late 2014 P85+) and was considering switching from my 19" slipstreams to a set of staggered 20" Mx slipstreams, but thought I would gauge what other vintage cars are running.

I have been using the 19 inch slip streams on some cheapo General GMAX AS05 tires. Only because I do such long road trips and didnt wnt to shell out the money for tires that I would destroy every 30k miles. I am looking to switch to 20 inch slipstreams with the CrossClimate2 tires. I have heard that to be a great setup.

I can highly recommend a set of 20"Mx slipstreams on a p85 , noticeable improvement in rear grip and cornering stability due to wider tyre and less side wall. they look great on the car and don't rub , they fill the wheel arches nicely although more prone to kerb rash as they sit further out , less pothole protection than the 19" with slightly more tyre noise and a small efficiency impact .

After listing things like that it sounds like more downsides , for me 19" to 20" was was a better choice than 19" to 21"
Are you staggered? or squared?

I find that on my 19 inch wheels and tires (square setup), the S wanders left and right a lot at high way speed. I have had my suspension checked and they continue to say its crappy tires...which I agree with as I dont feel that much wandering on my 21 inch wheels and tires.

At 119,982 Miles.

Been having so not so stellar charging speeds and also my front bumper louvers have not opened in over 1 year...So I figured I document it here to share it and track it.

Here is my most recent Super Charging session at the Towson, MD super charger at Wawa1300 1300 E Joppa Road Towson, MD 21286...

Arrived at 46% SOC
Charging started at 54kW for about 1 minute then dropped to about 50kW
134 Amps
373 V

Min battery temp 87.5 F
Avg battery temp 90.3
Max battery temp 92.1 F

Min Cell Vc 3.834
Avg Cell Vc 3.861
Max Cell Vc 3.881

Louver 1 = 99.5%
Louver 2 = 99.5%
Louver 3 = 0
Louver 4 = 60.7%
Louver 5 = 73.5%
Louver 6 = 22.4%

PTC air heater = 34%

lotDWs8.jpg

fCWOPNo.jpg

fMsd5De.jpg

Are you staggered? or squared?

I find that on my 19 inch wheels and tires (square setup), the S wanders left and right a lot at high way speed. I have had my suspension checked and they continue to say its crappy tires...which I agree with as I dont feel that much wandering on my 21 inch wheels and tires.
Staggered with the Mx 20" R 275/35 , F 245/45 ,Find it to be a more stable ride, epically on smaller roads here in the uk where some have quite a concave shape from the middle of road to edges, helps water run off towards kerb and drainage . With the 19" I'd notice the car tracking the camber of the road towards the kerb with no steering input . Less noticeable on the 20" .

re charging , looks like the louvers are working based on numbers from smt app . worth a visual check to see if numbers match louvers actually opening.

Reactions: xAgyex
Staggered with the Mx 20" R 275/35 , F 245/45 ,Find it to be a more stable ride, epically on smaller roads here in the uk where some have quite a concave shape from the middle of road to edges, helps water run off towards kerb and drainage . With the 19" I'd notice the car tracking the camber of the road towards the kerb with no steering input . Less noticeable on the 20" .

re charging , looks like the louvers are working based on numbers from smt app . worth a visual check to see if numbers match louvers actually opening.

You nailed it on the louvers, the app states working but nothing opens. I think the first 4 in the app are the internal cabin louvers.

Reactions: rickyjb
Over the past weekend I was driving and go a random message "Car Needs Service. Car May Not Restart". Very strange. My Model S worked like a charm still. Was on for about 5 minutes then went away. I didnt think much of it. So called Service Center, and they pulled logs and said "It could be the Battery Heater, if it goes out you will need a tow to the service center. Bring in the car asap." So ok no sweat, I scheduled an appointment.

Dropped the car off the next Wednesday, and later that day got a text stating that I need a new Drive Unit. I was like wow. really? Ok well its covered under warranty so ok. But that got me thinking, isn't it a bit crazy that I had not drive unit issues, never heard a peep, or even a buzz, my energy usages had gone from average 350 to about 450, but hey its winter and I use the heater all the time. So not complaining but very strange.

I share this to you all, so that you take it serious when you see that warning too. Good luck. I will update you all when I pick up my car. I got a loaner MS70D so not complaining at all.

Current mileage: 60,304
Warranty expires: May 2022
Warranty expires at mileage: 41,459 + 50,000 = 91,459 - current mileage = 31,155 miles remaining

1VYAlrH.png

qzHBeTU.jpg

As a follow up to my old post about my drive unit being replaced. Here is the invoice. Took me a while to track it down. But they replaced my drive unit due to moisture ingress on Dec 24, 2018. They replaced with:

1028034-00-B - SIDE MOUNT ASSEMBLY
1003783-00-B - ASY,HV COVER,INVERTER
1022868-00-A - CBL TIE,110MM,4.6,PA66HS,UL94V2,FIR TREE
1002633-00-Q - DRIVE UNIT - BASE

I14afXL.jpg

Last edited:
Also recently found this on 057 website and thought it is good info to know about the old base drive units. At least the one used in my S.

1002633-00-Q - DRIVE UNIT - BASE

8G2kjMA.jpg
Keep in mind the note on the max power rating, as this isn't generally achievable with a Model S battery pack due to high voltage drop under load. Current is the limiting factor in a Model S.

Keep in mind the note on the max power rating, as this isn't generally achievable with a Model S battery pack due to high voltage drop under load. Current is the limiting factor in a Model S.
Thanks for clarifying. So my S probably at best making 300kW? hahah all good. I love this info so wanted to save it so I can always refer to it. Thank you again for all you do for us out of warranty Tesla owners. I plan to buy the warranty with yall shortly.

Reactions: wk057
At 120,541 Miles.

Seriously cant stop driving this car. I look forward to road trips still.

Got lucky and found a set of Model X wheels for cheap and put on "Pirelli P Zero All Season" tires. Tire Rack was having a sale and my local tire shop was able to order then, mount, and balance for $950, so called it a win. First time getting brand new tires for the S. Have been getting used for a long time. So will see how these feel. So far rides very smooth and quiet compared to any of my previous setups 19 or 21s.

Oh also, the MCU Wheel Configuration only allows for 19s and 21s wheels, so i left it on the 19s. I do believe that my speedometer now reads about 1 mph more than what I am actually doing on the road, which is fine by me. Says 70 MPH on dash, but speedo app shows 69 MPH. No biggie. I will report back on my efficiency later too...haha ill be driving slower I guess, but moving heavier wheels and tires.

245/40/20 - Front tires on 20 x 9.0 Model X Slipstream wheels
275/35/20 - Front tires on 20 x 9.5 Model X Slipstream wheels

9ojMgp1.jpg

I8tWRsh.jpg

rNGItvq.jpg

5ZRiTea.jpg

TPMS works just fine...
om0CAje.jpg

245/40/20 - Front tires on 20 x 9.0 Model X Slipstream wheels
275/35/20 - Front tires on 20 x 9.5 Model X Slipstream wheels

If you're comparing these to the stock 19" tire size 245/45R19, the fronts have the exact same outside diameter (so no speed difference), and the rears would read only 0.2mph slower.

Try plugging in the sizes into this helpful website: Tire Size Comparison

Says 70 MPH on dash, but speedo app shows 69 MPH.

Probably just rounding error.

Also, 41/42 PSI seems a bit low. Most people run 45PSI cold, unless you're doing it for a specific reason.

If you're comparing these to the stock 19" tire size 245/45R19, the fronts have the exact same outside diameter (so no speed difference), and the rears would read only 0.2mph slower.

Try plugging in the sizes into this helpful website: Tire Size Comparison

Probably just rounding error.

Also, 41/42 PSI seems a bit low. Most people run 45PSI cold, unless you're doing it for a specific reason.

HankLloydRight

Thanks for checking my crazy. I did use Tize Size Compare website before moving to this wheels and you are 100% correct. My guess is there is some rounding. But generally I am seeing a 1 MPH difference between what I see on the dash, and apps like Waze and Speedometer. Which definitely aren't perfect in anyway. Overall really don't think the difference is actually that much as you stated on the rears are slightly off and by an extremely small margin.

Thanks for that info on the PSI too. My door jamb actually states 42 PSI so I generally run 42 to 45. When the tires get up to temp they all normally read 44 PSI so I have no problems with it not too low for me. Have been using 42 to 45 PSI on every tire and wheel combo on my S for years and have had 0 issues with it. Do you think I should increase it for this tire and wheel combo?

Thanks for that info on the PSI too. My door jamb actually states 42 PSI so I generally run 42 to 45.

Tesla has flipped-flopped on this since 2014. At first is was 42psi recommended (hence the door jamb), but now they suggest 45psi if you ask at the SC (and also seems to be the general consensus). 42 is probably OK, but I wouldn't let it go below that. My tires are 45psi cold and 49-50psi hot.

Tesla has flipped-flopped on this since 2014. At first is was 42psi recommended (hence the door jamb), but now they suggest 45psi if you ask at the SC (and also seems to be the general consensus). 42 is probably OK, but I wouldn't let it go below that. My tires are 45psi cold and 49-50psi hot.
Thanks. I will try going higher. I wonder if they recommend it so that we get the most miles out of our cars...because the max PSI on my tires are 50 psi.