Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Tesla Model S 85 - Build Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excuse me, I am looking for new front door upper hinge, but there are quite some items available...

6009549-00-D, 6009549-00-E and 6009549-00-F.

I need it for front driver's door on the left side. Steering is left oriented. Model is year 2015.
Do there parts fit on both doors (left and right) or how come there is no side models?
Please contact @wk057 and their team but I believe the F is the latest version. I never replaced my. I spray it periodically and it is fine. Only acts up in the winter time. Summer I can sometimes hear it but not as loud. Being gentle with the door seems to help.

Reactions: wk057
At 138,132 Miles

Decided to checkout TeslaMate+Grafana today. And wow, highly recommend anyone that knows how to use a Raspberry Pi to set it up. Took me less than 5 minutes to get it all installed and setup following he steps from the below:

Here is a quick video I made overviewing TeslaMate:

TeslaMate+Grafana, is basically free TeslaFi, but you can track all of the Teslas on your account. It is hosted for me at my house on my Pi, so I can only access it when I am home, but that's where I use it to check stats and so on.

moIEI7u.jpg

Arf2Ixm.jpg

At 134,340 Miles

This post is not about my MS85. But about an amazing trip in Germany where I was able to rent a 2022 Model Y from Sixt car rental. I want to share this info because I couldn't find any of this info any where on the internet when I was planning my trip.

At the end of March my family and I planned a trip to Berlin, Germany. We knew we wanted to have a car for some of the time while there for 2 and a half weeks. My wife and I agreed that it had to be an EV, a Tesla to be precise so we can use super charging when ever we needed. Because we needed a 1 way rental from Cologne to Munich, and also car seats for the kids, we settled on renting from SIXT car rental (SIXT rent a car | Premium Car Rental & Top Deals Worldwide).

Overview of trip(Berlin Hamberg to Cologne to Nurgburging to Munich):
0sQgpcJ.jpg

1. Pick up from SIXT Autovermietung Köln Hauptbahnhof (Cologne HBF Central Train Station).
2. Check in was easy. But with my family in toe with all our bags, they made it annoying to pick up as I had to walk to their other SIXT location about 10 minutes away. Then the attendant sent us to the garage and then back up because he was confused that I was picking up a Tesla. Seemed more like he was expecting a more well dressed person to have ordered a Tesla...hahaha, lets just leave it at that.
OUsxRUG.jpg

3. I verified with them and they noted that I will be billed for Super Charging, but I was never billed. But please plan to be billed if Super Charging and take pictures of the charge cost on the screen every time you stop to Super Charge.
X5HE88Q.jpg

4. They did not activate the app for me or give me any access to Tesla app, even though I made it clear that I already have an account.
5. They simply gave me the keys and I was on my way.
6. While driving from Nurburgring to Munich, we only had to stop 2 times to Super Charge for 15 minutes each. What an efficient car.
7. The standard 2 prong EURO wall plug adapter and UMC was in the frunk, along with the public charging Type 2 cable.
ahtfefw.jpg

cNS1lhE.jpg

8. I did used the Type 2 cable to charge while in Nurburgring area with no issues. I did have to pay for that public charging.
zzZ6w6J.jpg

w0gXWRe.jpg

qOL0EKG.jpg

9. I did use the standard 2 prong EURO wall plug adapter and UMC to charge while at our airbnb in Penzberg, Munich. And had 100% charge every morning.
2xSCPVY.jpg

10. The Model Y was so darn efficient that we could drive all day without needing to Super Charge. We drove at least 100 miles each day with no issues to reach the sites and places we wanted to go to. I am definitely getting a Model Y next.
11. Upon drop off all seemed well, but later when checking my invoice...SIXT tried to charge me for damage to front bumper, which was there when I picked it up and I had reported it and took pictures of it. So no sweet there. But be careful with SIXT.

TIP:
1. At pickup and dropoff, TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES OF THE OUTSIDE AND INSIDE
2. Use the SIXT app to ask for any refunds and or dispute any erroneous charges. They are quick to respond and refund.
3. If you can afford it when overseas get the added mid tier rental insurance they offer.
4. If you can afford it get the "Fueling/Charging service", so you don't have to worry about charging it up before you drop it off. They will just charge you what ever the cost is to fill it back up to where it was when you picked it up. In my case only $15 (50% when I dropped it off but should have been at 80% SOC) was charged to me after I dropped of the car. So $15 for 22 kW a bit high but what ever.
5. Charging is super easy at super chargers in Germany. A lot of super chargers all over.
6. OH yes this was odd to me, but they charge you at a lot of rest stops to use the restroom. So make sure you bring some Euro coins with you when you stop at rest stops.
RXjoRTF.jpg

7. Do not take a SIXT/Hertz rental to Nurburgring. This is not allowed, and the rental companies can fine you, and if you crash that rental, you will be screwed big time. Check out RingFreaks (Race Car Rental Nurburgring - Flexible Online Booking for Tourist Drives) and you can rent one of their 6 speed BMW E90 325i. Here I am with my best friend co-piloting as we went through the carousel.
9tWGvvt.jpg

Overall, will rent again from SIXT as the car itself was great. Just need to make sure to cover yourself with lots of photos.
3Aif3ah.jpg

Lastly, wow Euro is amazing in an EV. Being able to go as fast as you want sometimes in the fast lane is awesome, but I honestly had no reason to go any faster than 140 kmph. I cant wait to visit again.
VZma13P.jpg

Thanks, Great write up! I have a classic S and just got a Y. May it’s time to rent an EV on my next trip

Thanks, Great write up! I have a classic S and just got a Y. May it’s time to rent an EV on my next trip
If you go overseas to Europe you must rent an EV...Over there I think all EVs with CCS can charge at Tesla chargers so doesn't matter if you rent a Tesla or not. But it was so much fun. I am planning on going back just because of how easy it all really was.

Have fun.

At 138,152 miles.

After 17,611 miles(installed at 120,541 miles) these Pirelli P Zero All Season tires have held up well. I am down to roughly 7/32 thread depth from 10/32 when new. I will rotate them from left to right at 20,000 miles. So far the noise has increased and the handling is not as crisp as it used to be, but when driving at 80 MPH or less it is completely fine. Above that speed and there is a lot of noise and shaking (Probably need to balance the tires/wheels).

xhjD17t.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man the folks here at TMC are so amazing...I highly recommend everyone join the SuperCharger visit leader board game. I love being the first to visit a SuperCharger. And love reporting it in as it helps me track where I have been over the years in my Tesla.

At 141,147 miles.

Decided to pick up a Cargo Roof Box for this coming winter season to carry my families snowboard gear. I really wanted to get the Thule Alpine slim box, but those are very expensive. So picked up the Thule Ascent 1700. This thing is a beast. Takes two people to put it on for sure. Definitely too large for a Tesla Model S. But it works just fine. I will plan to lose at least 20% battery when using this, so will have to stop a lot to charge, but oh wells.

One big thing I noticed is that at 65 MPH it makes way less noise than the normal ski rack I had before. So this is good, keep the snowboards from getting damaged by bugs and rocks on long road trips, and I can carry a little more gear.

Also, noticed that the car thinks it is always night time as the lights stay on...I think its because the box hovers just over the front windshield sensors.

Thule Ascent 1700 (User manual Thule Ascent 1700 605 (English - 7 pages)) (Used for $225):
Length = 91.5 in
Width = 31.5 in
height = 15.7 in
Weight = 40lbs
Max load = 110 lbs
Capacity = 17 cu. ft.

As you can see it looks rather large, and it is.
RM7C2lE.jpg

It hangs over the front, and I can see it if I lean over while driving. But then again I can just look up through the sunroof glass to see it anytime.
yZgwgMe.jpg

I set the truck open height a little low to avoid hitting the box. I can still get my things in and out of the trunk but it is tight.
fA6DE0q.jpg

Both front and rear locks are set to the far outer edges in order to fit on the bars.
frXs1zf.jpg

And to my surprise Car with this huge box fits (JUST fits) into my now ceiling garage.
0cplsTk.jpg

At 141,686 miles.

So after driving around with the roof rack and roof cargo box for while, and on one(1) long road trip. I am pleased to report that the efficiency of the car isn't dramatically worse. Honestly if I am able to get behind an SUV, then it is almost like the roof rack and cargo box are not even there. This is driving with my entire family in the car with our gear, with the AC set to 70 degrees F...during summer with outside temps in the day time above 90 degrees F. So ya, anything less than 400 wh/mi I think was a win. And the noise was not noticeable at 70 mph or less. The only real issue was bumping my head a few times on the trunk when I opened it. I had to open it only half way as to not hit the roof cargo box...Hahaha I say that is really a non issue.

4dLxNHb.png

Top = Going on long snowboarding trip (More than 200 miles away)
Bottom Left = Going on local snowboarding trip (Less than 100 miles away)
Bottom Right = Going to the car show. I don't put on the 21 inch turbines much.
cSFPLRX.jpg

dXF9HXK.jpg

Man, I read your posting from very beginning, and you are just amazing keeping your car nice and healthy.
I am afraid if I would like to keep my 2015 MS 85 once I move back to States (currently stationed at Korea), or buy newer version of cars with minimum cost.

Please keep up updated the great post.

Reactions: xAgyex
Man, I read your posting from very beginning, and you are just amazing keeping your car nice and healthy.
I am afraid if I would like to keep my 2015 MS 85 once I move back to States (currently stationed at Korea), or buy newer version of cars with minimum cost.

Please keep up updated the great post.
Hi @kaidou, thanks. Hope you found something useful in my posts. If your 2015 works and drives I say keep it and save for a used 2022 MS later on down the line. At this time that is what I am doing. I personally will not buy a Model S older than a 2022. So keep yours if you can for now. Let me know if you have any questions or thoughts.

Hi @kaidou, thanks. Hope you found something useful in my posts. If your 2015 works and drives I say keep it and save for a used 2022 MS later on down the line. At this time that is what I am doing. I personally will not buy a Model S older than a 2022. So keep yours if you can for now. Let me know if you have any questions or thoughts.
Just curious, why nothing older than 2022? Are there specific items that got added to the ‘22 models? Thanks

Just curious, why nothing older than 2022? Are there specific items that got added to the ‘22 models? Thanks
Hi @hydro, yes there are some changes they made to the new version of the Model S in 2022. Then new Model S came out in 2021, but in 2022 they added a few more improvements...such as tail lights update, charge port door like the model 3 and Y, screen tilt function, 16 GB ram computer for steam games, rear screen larger, they switched to a lithium-Ion 12v battery, and lots of used ones have the round steering wheel. 2022 and newer is the latest and greatest Model S...for now...so I prefer it.

Structurally, 2021 and 2022 are the same. Structurally the 2012 to 2020 all have the same sub frame. In 2016 was the first facelift(changed the look a bit). In 2021 was the second facelift, and they changed the sub frame and structure a lot. I am also finding that the used prices for a 2021 vs 2022 is the same...Besides all of this, I just prefer it.

o3bWcPW.png

This is also a great link to comparison between 2020 to 2023 Model S.
Model S Comparison for 2021 – TeslaTap

and

Timelines for Vehicles and Variants – TeslaTap

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Nice to see this, but older models have free SuC, which is close to gold for me ... if I can get my hands on a proper P100D model, either S or X, with free SuC, I can only dream the car will hold 50 more years as I cant find a reason for selling.

@xAgyex you just received 2022.8.10.16 yesterday? as I've had it on my model for weeks...

Nice to see this, but older models have free SuC, which is close to gold for me ... if I can get my hands on a proper P100D model, either S or X, with free SuC, I can only dream the car will hold 50 more years as I cant find a reason for selling.

@xAgyex you just received 2022.8.10.16 yesterday? as I've had it on my model for weeks...
@LonelyMS I am with you on holding onto my Model S...since it has free super charging. If you can find a P100D with free SuC then its gold. Just be prepared to spend money on suspension parts if you drive a lot. But that may be the same case with the new Model S too. Because of free SuC, I go on so many road trips...and with recent increase in SuC costs, it has been well worth it for me. If I can hold onto this old Model S for another 50 years, I sure will. Still, I think with all the new changes in the newer Model S, it is well worth it at any price below $60k. Which I expect some will be on the used market for that price soon.

I received 2022.8.10.16 in late August. I just like to post when ever I get an update here, and had forgotten to...so just added that note to my last post.
LxtVzXg.png

Reactions: LonelyMS
At 123,323 Miles.

3. Remove all of the front fender wheel well cover clips and 2x 10mm bolts.
oKiV9qJ.jpg

09kPo6O.jpg

4. Remove the bottom front fender wheel well cover clips and 2x 10mm bolts.
RA6TAAi.jpg

5. Move/push the fender wheel well cover out of the way.
Be careful here if you have a temperature sensor...UN-clip it.
plastic inside the wheel well.
Remove the felt layer.
Yes you will have to bend it a bit in the top middle above the rotor. Yes it is very dusty so watch out.
Cspc6dp.jpg

fyplJd0.jpg

6. Remove the round gray.back cover, then twist out the bulb...counter clockwise.
*Not my image* -
e2SPH7p.jpg

rjoluLa.jpg

7. THE HARD PART...You may need to pull very hard to separate the bulb from the clip.
*Not my image* -
ZcP3Agk.png

DO NOT DO THIS. BAD. NO NO.
22ObVF5.jpg

8. Transfer the black plastic rink from the old bulb to the new bulb.
NDhAz17.jpg

CpAFoAf.jpg

9. Install new bulb and reinstall everything in reverse order..
Just a follow up to this bulb change post...My left bulb goes out randomly sometimes. So will replace it shortly. But here are some shorts of how the light looks like in action. Looks the same or better than OEM to me.

oFXuMG6.jpg

KnSlo7q.jpg

CDsdrb3.jpg

QyHEqQq.jpg

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
I have had a lot of people ask me about some of the products I have used on my Tesla...so here is a list of all the stuff I would recommend to anyone...Yes these are my amazon affiliate links. If you use it helps me. But you do not have to use it.

For washing and cleaning any vehicle:
P&S Professional Detail...Hands down my favorite product to use in the past 20 years. I spray it on when the car is still wet and then just dry it off with it.
Car Wash Brush Pole
Car Wash Mitt
Chemical Guys CWS_110_16 Snow
Detailing Brush Set + Vent
Electric Pressure washer
303 Automotive Protectant (Use on tire tread after washing to save tire life...yes it works. My tires last 40k miles easily)
Drying Rags Eagle Edgeless 500
(Only for road trippers) Road Warrior Plus Paint Protection Film

Tesla specific stuff:
NEMA 14-50P/ 50-Amp Camper/RV Extension Cord
Model 3 Mud Flaps
Key Fob Holder/Cover for Model S/3/X/Y
Model S 2012-2016 Premium Cabin Air Filter
Model S 2012-2014 D3S/D3R Xenon HID Headlight Bulbs, 6000K 35W
Commercial Grade Air Wedge Bag Pump
Model S Mud Flaps
Model S Magnetic Vent Phone Holder
Model 3 Magnetic phone mount
Model S Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler
Model S Steering Wheel Carbon Fiber Sticker
(For sentry mode/dashcam Teslas) PNY DUO LINK iOS USB Flash Drive for iPhone & iPad and Computers
(For older Teslas without Sentry mode) Blackvue 2CH

Great tools to have:
Powerbuilt 2 Ton UJack
Tire Tread Depth Gauge...If you own a Tesla you need a Tire Tread Gauge. Change out your tires if you have anything less than 5/32. Don't risk it, not worth it.
Wheel Bolt Cap Removal Tool

Reactions: LonelyMS