TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

2015 Model S w/ Misaligned doors

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MrBigSmiles, Sep 8, 2017.

1. MrBigSmiles

MrBigSmiles Member

I'm nearing my 50K mile warranty and I'm debating whether to ask Tesla Service to fix my misaligned doors (see pictures). Has anyone else taken in their vehicle to have these misalignment doors repaired and were you satisfied with the results? My concern is that Tesla may just refuse to fix it because I've had the vehicle since April 2015.

Attached Files:

2. Navsarin

Navsarin SP100D

They should provide new trim pieces to help align the look if not the actual doors.

3. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Try pulling up or pushing down on the trim and see if that will help with the alignment.

4. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Don't look at the trim, look at the bottom to see if it is the doors that are misaligned.

If bottom of doors are lined up, then they can easily adjust the trim.

From your pics, it looks like it may be the trim. You should have gotten it done earlier, but this should not be a big deal.

5. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Can't hurt to call the SC and ask. I called today to inquire about a pano shuddering when opening and was advised that they will fix anything that isn't a wear item like tires or suspect of damage or deliberate abuse and he mentioned door and window alignment as something that warranty would cover.

6. Jim J

Jim J Member

I have the same problem on my 2106. I intend to take it in when I get time. This is not trim, it's the door.

7. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

I have a 2015 that was the same way. They fixed it but adjusting trim.

8. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

My 2015 was fixed by adjusting the chrome trim as well; much easier than I assumed.

9. Tesmotorfaqcom

That should be a easy fix, I have it fix twice done in same day.

10. alapd

alapd Member

Anyone have an issue where the door panel comes off the door? My passenger side door requires a decent amount of force to close, much more than the other doors. The interior panel has come off the door. I pushed it back in, but after couple days same issue.

Also, I have already had this addressed by Tesla when my door one day opened up while driving. They replaced some clips I believe, and the entire handle assembly. But now I am having the same problem.

Just curious to see if anyone experienced the same so I can tell them what the problem is.

11. jjh1234

jjh1234 Member

While I don't have the same problem as you, I found myself failing to fully close the driver's door a lot when I first purchased the car. Instead of slamming the door harder to overcome this, I found that if I follow through with the closing motion by continuing to push all the way to a closed door, it seems to close much more reliably.

12. stan23

stan23 Member

I guess the chrome trim fitting is still a problem with new cars. Here is what mine looks like. July 2017 build. 20170905_222607.jpg

13. No ICE

No ICE 2016 S75D pearl AP1, & 2014 silver S85 AP1

It's the door alignment, and it's not a big deal to have service fix it. Ours on our 2016 75D the passenger door was exactly like this. I waited until our first service app to have it corrected. The tesla team allingend it up to a perfect level fit.
    Honestly It bugged me every time I looked at it until it was fixed but really it wasn't a big deal at all to have tesla tweak it.

14. EnjoyingLife

EnjoyingLife Member

My car 2017 MS 75D came like this too...It's not perfect...I noticed there is a bigger gap on the left side of the hood than the right side too. It's not noticeable until you take a soft measurement tape.

15. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Has anyone had them work on the hood gaps?
    My left side is almost 3/8" midway. I's only 1/8" at front of gap.

I'd think it should be easy to adjust except for pulling off the plastic liners.

I truly had misaligned driver's door and hatch and it had to go to a body shop to be fixed.

16. EnjoyingLife

EnjoyingLife Member

I'm a little gun shy after my last visit. I'm sure they'll try if you ask them.