Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 P90D (range upgrade)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That sound has nothing to do with the wheels. The anti squeal agent behind the calipers is gone, worn out, or no correctly applied.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05016-Single-Brake-Quiet/dp/B000CINV88

has NOTHING to do with brake pads. It´s the 21" Turbine ONLY. They somehow begin to resonate like a tuning fork and forward that to the axis, or vice versa the brake resonation gets amplified by them.
We tried everything in the books until we discovered this. Tesla could´ve prevented that, but they never bothered.

has NOTHING to do with brake pads. It´s the 21" Turbine ONLY. They somehow begin to resonate like a tuning fork and forward that to the axis, or vice versa the brake resonation gets amplified by them.
We tried everything in the books until we discovered this. Tesla could´ve prevented that, but they never bothered.

If its the design of the rims then how come every owner of 21's don't have this noise?

Not with my 21" turbines they don't.

20160306_131452-jpg.113945

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I bought my "Re-Marketed" 2015 P85D straight from Tesla's website. It's my second Model S.
It's everything I wanted (19" wheels, red calipers, Carbon wing and all black interior with carbon fiber). I couldn't be more happy with it!
The later software upgrades that include the Insane+ and Launch control are amazing! The car makes me smile every time I get in it!
1.jpg

Reactions: Don TLR
I have another quick question for you guys....I want to add the carbon fiber spoiler and actually emailed the guy handling my delivery in Fremont on Saturday to ask if they can install one for me for pickup. But is it worth paying the $1,500 or is there an aftermarket one that looks exactly the same and functions the same too? I want to ensure its the OEM looking one and don't want to be cheap or mess with aero, but $1,5k is def a lot.

This cat has one he's selling, or at least he still had it yesterday:
Tesla Model S Accessories

Then why was it squeaking yesterday and now that I put my 19’s back on it stopped again? This is twice I’ve switched and both times it’s only does it with 21”. It stops immediately with my 19’s.
Every 21 inch wheels, model, including mine never made such a sound. It could be a special case for your car. For an example, your wheels are defective. Just saying, 21 inch wheels have this issue in general, is a stretch and misleading.

Reactions: Don TLR
Every 21 inch wheels, model, including mine never made such a sound. It could be a special case for your car. For an example, your wheels are defective. Just saying, 21 inch wheels have this issue in general, is a stretch and misleading.

Could this be an issue with the wider staggered rear wheels? My 21" wheel setup is square rather than staggered.

Reactions: tesluv108
Not with my 21" turbines they don't.

20160306_131452-jpg.113945
I wanted to chime in and say I am a fairly new p90d owner as of earlier in 2022. The brakes squeak on my car and it has 21 turbines. With such low miles I find it hard to believe the pads could be worn enough to make the noise. Anyways, I have a v1 90kwh batt that has been discussed here as a subpar battery. I wonder what makes this a problematic battery and wondering if anyone else could share stories on it? So far it seems to be good only showing minimal degradation and 265-267 depending on weather at 100%. I always wondered why it didn’t show more considering most 85s showed 253 at 100%. I’m hoping to avoid problems w this pack as I paid dearly for the car. Seems to be holding up well just doesn’t supercharge faster than 112kwh.
9DBEE030-955A-4250-9DF3-256B7223AE8D.jpeg

I wanted to chime in and say I am a fairly new p90d owner as of earlier in 2022. The brakes squeak on my car and it has 21 turbines. With such low miles I find it hard to believe the pads could be worn enough to make the noise. Anyways, I have a v1 90kwh batt that has been discussed here as a subpar battery. I wonder what makes this a problematic battery and wondering if anyone else could share stories on it? So far it seems to be good only showing minimal degradation and 265-267 depending on weather at 100%. I always wondered why it didn’t show more considering most 85s showed 253 at 100%. I’m hoping to avoid problems w this pack as I paid dearly for the car. Seems to be holding up well just doesn’t supercharge faster than 112kwh.
View attachment 891997

The extra range over the 85 (81 kwh) came from increasing the capacity of the same number and sized cells (unlike the 100 which actually has more cells). The increased capacity was achieved by adding silicon to the anode which allows the anode to absorb more lithium ions but also results in physical expansion far more than just carbon. This extra expansion cracks the anodes over time resulting in loss of capacity.

It's a trade-off. More capacity in same size but shorter battery life. The V1 90 was the worst. I doubt there's a single one left. V2 was better and V3 even better as they revised the formulation to increase longevity without decreasing capacity but the longevity is is still nothing like the those last 400 volt 85s that they made.