Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 P90DL Rear Drive Unit Failure (Again - 3rd Time!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My rear DU just went out again.

This is the 3rd one within 3.5 years... All were replaced due to the same issue. Coolant leaking into the electrical side of the DU.

1st one died at 79k miles (Feb 2020)
2nd at 108k miles (July 2022)
3rd at 146k miles (Nov 2023)

The warranty expired at the end of September of this year.

I'm going to see if they'll replace it because it's been barely a year & a half with 38k miles...

They should honor the 4yr or 50k-mile part replacement warranty even if it was replaced under warranty (JUST MY OPINION)

Also, the tech made it sound a little confusing so I'm not sure if he's saying they're already going to replace it under warranty... idk lol

Thoughts or recommendations, please :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 36
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
My rear DU just went out again.

This is the 3rd one within 3.5 years... All were replaced due to the same issue. Coolant leaking into the electrical side of the DU.

1st one died at 79k miles (Feb 2020)
2nd at 108k miles (July 2022)
3rd at 146k miles (Nov 2023)

The warranty expired at the end of September of this year.

I'm going to see if they'll replace it because it's been barely a year & a half with 41k miles...

They should honor the 4yr or 50k-mile part replacement warranty even if it was replaced under warranty (JUST MY OPINION)

Also, the tech made it sound a little confusing so I'm not sure if he's saying they're already going to replace it under warranty... idk lol

Thoughts or recommendations, please :)
This is my understanding:

If parts are replaced during the warranty, it's guaranteed to last until the warranty is over.

If your Drive Unit was replaced in 7/2022 under warranty, it expired in 9/2023 when your new car battery/drive unit expired.

If you paid for the drive unit without warranty, you should get 4 year warranty.

If you replaced it in 11/2023, it's out of warranty, so you should pay for it. This time, it should cover 4 years.

Thus, now, 12/2023, your drive unit should be replaced free until 10/2027.

Reactions: McGillUSAF
This is my understanding:

If parts are replaced during the warranty, it's guaranteed to last until the warranty is over.

If your Drive Unit was replaced in 7/2022 under warranty, it expired in 9/2023 when your new c
I'll see what they say... worst case it is what it is & I'm just out 6.5k.

I just really hope that the newer U revision motor will hold up longer....

I feel like every time they replaced it they told me that this new revision will hold up much better lol I don't have much confidence in them right now.

For anyone wondering. Tesla did honored the 4y/ 50k mile warranty on the drive unit replacement.

I also asked if the new DU will carry a fresh 4yr/ 50k warranty with the replacement and was told "Yes" :)

Tesla replaced the LDU with the -U revision for the coolant delete/ reroute so we'll see how it holds up.

Thank you everyone for the input.
So what was your out of pocket cost? This post suggests Tesla performed the replacement du under goodwill, which is excellent for you. However they would state their normal “policy” is if your car had an under warranty replacement you didn’t pay for that would end when the actual 8 year warranty ended ?

Reactions: ucmndd
So what was your out of pocket cost? This post suggests Tesla performed the replacement du under goodwill, which is excellent for you. However they would state their normal “policy” is if your car had an under warranty replacement you didn’t pay for that would end when the actual 8 year warranty ended ?
Agree, if they gave him a new one on goodwill that’s great, but it’s NOT because they “honored the 4y /50k mile warranty” on a prior warranty replacement because there is no such warranty.

For anyone wondering. Tesla did honored the 4y/ 50k mile warranty on the drive unit replacement.

I also asked if the new DU will carry a fresh 4yr/ 50k warranty with the replacement and was told "Yes" :)

Tesla replaced the LDU with the -U revision for the coolant delete/ reroute so we'll see how it holds up.

Have you noticed any performance issues with the U revision LDU or anything else to report? Appreciate your input.

Any chance you can post your pic or invoice. Was it done in goodwill or rectification? I’m in same scenerio. Thanks!!

I just had my LDU replaced on 12/27. It was the upgraded U variant. It was out of warranty and the cost on the drive unit itself was ~ $6200 IIRC. The total bill was ~ $8300 I think. They replaced almost fhe entirety of the rear of the car due to rusty bolts. Someone above asked about any performance issues.....I dropped the car off at Tesla yesterday for another failed drive unit. It felt a touch sluggish from initial pick up. I asked about it and they had no reply. After less the 1k miles it begain to make a terrible noise.