Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my opinion there will not be a new AP hardware in the new cars. They might change the front so that it is at a later point possible to retrofit the AP2 hardware in those cars because there is enough space behind the new nose for new sensors and there will be a spot in the windshield for the stereocamera (like in the model x)

also a refreshed model s would definitely have LED headlights. So maybe we can tell if those are LED's or not? Are they somehow covered?

What about the taillights? Somebody said that they'll be changed as well..

Last edited:
To me it looks like shrink wrap where the nosecone has been removed for shipment. My guess is the refresh with altered nose and LED lights comes late this year because 1) that's probably when AP 2 sensors are ready and 2) that's when they could use a boost to MS demand. Their 2016 is made by ramping Model X and 2018 by Model 3. If there is a hole in the growth pattern it would come in 2017, so a face lift entering that year is warranted.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
To me it looks like shrink wrap where the nosecone has been removed for shipment. My guess is the refresh with altered nose and LED lights comes late this year because 1) that's probably when AP 2 sensors are ready and 2) that's when they could use a boost to MS demand. Their 2016 is made by ramping Model X and 2018 by Model 3. If there is a hole in the growth pattern it would come in 2017, so a face lift entering that year is warranted.

but I still don't get why they would remove the nosecone? And why would they cover the removed part? They wouldn't matter about skratches and stuff there and they would still have to attache the hook. Here is a picture how the MS are trasported to europ in the cotainer.

Attachments

• 491956676.jpg
    491956676.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Look at the picture at the beginning of the thread. We have been looking at a white car with white wrap, but parked behind it (to the right in the picture) is a dark car with white protective wrap. There you can see exactly how the white wrap covers parts of the car. I think the open area with the nose cone is covered with the white wrap because that gives integrity to the big piece of wrap covering the front end of the car, and probably makes it easier to apply.

I'm going with Occam's razor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia here.

What's the most simple/likely answer here?
A. That Tesla has changed the design of the Model S, without any announcement or fanfare*, without notifying the buyers, and will deliver cars to people with an updated nosecone,
or
B. These are just cars prepped for shipping with their nosecones removed?

And just to play this silly little game, if you look at the photos, the "gap" which you're all salivating over is much too wide compared to the Model X buck-tooth gap. Just looking at the photo, it's clear as day to me that these are just regular Model Ss with the nosecone removed and maybe a foam shipping insert added, and then covered in protective shipping film. It's as simple as that.

*Yes, Tesla makes incremental changes without announcing them, but to change the look of the car is not within that scope.

Look at the picture at the beginning of the thread. We have been looking at a white car with white wrap, but parked behind it (to the right in the picture) is a dark car with white protective wrap. There you can see exactly how the white wrap covers parts of the car. I think the open area with the nose cone is covered with the white wrap because that gives integrity to the big piece of wrap covering the front end of the car, and probably makes it easier to apply.

If the open area for the nose cone was covered with wrap, the edges of the nose cone hole would be visible. Look at the top where the T emblem is. That outline is visible. You would expect the same oval outline of the nose cone opening to be visible wouldn't you? Instead it is flat.

A. That Tesla has changed the design of the Model S, without any announcement or fanfare*, without notifying the buyers, and will deliver cars to people with an updated nosecone,
or

And just to play this silly little game, if you look at the photos, the "gap" which you're all salivating over is much too wide compared to the Model X buck-tooth gap. Just looking at the photo, it's clear as day to me that these are just regular Model Ss with the nosecone removed and maybe a foam shipping insert added, and then covered in protective shipping film. It's as simple as that.

*Yes, Tesla makes incremental changes without announcing them, but to change the look of the car is not within that scope.

Who says theses are going to buyers?

Option C: these are going to showrooms

Also see the photo above of the cars in the shipping containers. No nosecone removed and not wrapped.

See other photos above of wrapped cars that have the nosecone completely unwrapped during transit. Why would they change now?

Also see the photo above of the cars in the shipping containers. No nosecone removed and not wrapped.

Not all cars are shipped in containers. If they need to be strapped down, they need access to the tow hook mount.

See other photos above of wrapped cars that have the nosecone completely unwrapped during transit. Why would they change now?

Different shipping methods have different requirements.

Still, what is the most simple explanation? It's not a conspiracy of a nosecone refresh, that's for sure.

Also, if you look closely at that car-carrier truck with the nosecones in place:

upload_2016-4-8_10-39-17.png

The hoods without nosecones were clearly wrapped FIRST, and the nosecones installed later. It's much easier to wrap the entire front end (as the OP thread has a photo of), and then place the nose cone later, than try to wrap the entire front end EXCEPT the nose cone.

In the OP, perhaps someone was about to come along with an exacto knife and cuts out the nosecone hole. Then we wouldn't have a story.

Reactions: Cyclone
Also, if you look closely at that car-carrier truck with the nosecones in place:

View attachment 171254

The hoods without nosecones were clearly wrapped FIRST, and the nosecones installed later. It's much easier to wrap the entire front end (as the OP thread has a photo of), and then place the nose cone later, than try to wrap the entire front end EXCEPT the nose cone.

In the OP, perhaps someone was about to come along with an exacto knife and cuts out the nosecone hole. Then we wouldn't have a story.

Certainly plausible! We'll see in a few days hopefully

First of all, we don't know the status of those cars -- new? used? demos? CPO? We also don't know where they are being shipped from or to. Finally, with an enclosed container, there's no need to protect the car from the elements, like you do with an open truck carrier.

First of all, we don't know the status of those cars -- new? used? demos? CPO? We also don't know where they are being shipped from or to. Finally, with an enclosed container, there's no need to protect the car from the elements, like you do with an open truck carrier.

All good points. I'm still not sure how you remove the nose cone and wrap it without showing an outline of the nose cone opening, but I admit this is based on a few blurry pixels. I think we'll know more in a couple of weeks either way!

or

A good analytic methodology, but here I am going to go with A being the simplest explanation. Tesla routinely adds features without telling people or any advance fanfare. The recent slipstream wheels are a minor example; the autopilot hardware is probably the best.

Tesla has abandoned the model year change concept, which I think is kind of silly, but it is what it is. As a result, there's no natural "break point" where they would announce a styling change; they have to do it sometime, so might as well be mid April, to coincide with (possible) additional features and (possible) price increases.

Plus, now that the Model X is (sort of) launched and the Model 3 design is out, this seems like a very opportune time to generate some renewed interest in the one model that is actually for sale and being produced in volume.

Reactions: SCW-Greg
Just heard fwiw that upgrades coming next week will be new front seats (like model X) with ventilation modest change in front grill, led headlights and new storage areas (including center console that has been shipping lately.) might see a few new colors too. No word on 100 battery.

Just heard fwiw that upgrades coming next week will be new front seats (like model X) with ventilation modest change in front grill, led headlights and new storage areas (including center console that has been shipping lately.) might see a few new colors too. No word on 100 battery.

Did you hear from the CNet article or somewhere else?

the autopilot hardware is probably the best.

But adding the AP hardware didn't change the look of the car. I don't think you'll find one person that said "but wait, I wanted a car without the AP hardware!!!".

That's not the case delivering a car with a refreshed front end. Although according to the article just posted, it is a "modest" change, so maybe people won't be so surprised or upset loosing the old look. Depends on how modest the change is.

Reactions: gsxdsm