Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a recent new owner (4 week old 85D) I would be lying if I said I wasn't upset about all these changes that started happening the day I got my car. Talk about timing. I think the 85D was discontinued the very next day after my delivery :) It would be really nice if Tesla offered an upgrade plan for recent new owners at cost or at a discount consistent with the current pricing. I would pay something for the new center console, but definitely not $1200.

However, with all that said, I am still incredibly happy with my purchase. It's an amazing car as-is and I'm glad I didn't play the waiting game and miss out on driving this beast.

Reactions: Fanatic1
Argh!

I'd much prefer a revised nosecone - the classic fish mouth was the only thing I didn't like about the Model S. Of course, everyone has their preference.

I've now ordered (as of early this week). I've paid my GBP 2,000 deposit have the current / old pricing.

I have till next Friday (15th April) when the order is confirmed / set in stone.

Yesterday, I went for a second test drive on a ludicrous-enabled car to decide whether I want to go truly mad or not, and when I asked about the price increase that was promised for start of April but never materialised, my DS said there were some IT issues with the Model 3 announcement so the price increases have been postponed.

Today, people are saying here that the hike will kick in this Sunday 10th.

In terms of preference, I'd like vented front seats like on the X - and wonder whether the seat design will change to match X's design more or they'll stick to the current Next Gen design and just add perforations.

I thought the front lights were already LED / HID so not sure what is actually meant by this. Can anyone explain please?

Nosecone. I'd prefer a newer one but wouldn't mind knowing what it's going to look like beforehand!

And of course, I'd love a 100kWh battery, but whilst they might squeeze the above new features without additional cost, I ain't gonna get an extra 10kWh FoC - more likely to be like when they were phasing out the 85 and offered the upgrade at a price...

Ahh, decisions, decisions :)

Just to throw some more kindling on this fire. Here's a photo of what the Model X nose looked like when it was "camouflage wrapped". Also, note the other "wrong" speculations on the image. So both sides have a little support. Just the way I like to stoke a fire.

model_x_electrochromatic-jpg.87576

Tesla to release updated Model S as soon as next week
Apr 8, 2016, 2:16pm PDT
tesla-model-s*304xx497-331-40-0.jpg

TESLA
Tesla Model S to be adding more luxury features to its sedan.

For those who thought last month’s release of the Model 3 meant the prices of the Model S would soon go down—don't get too comfortable.

CNET, a technology news and review site, reported Friday that Tesla is revealing an updated version, and price, of its Model S as soon as next week.

The Palo Alto-based company will be making a series of manufacturing updates and adding more luxury features to the Model S, CNET reported. The changes come as the Model S is facing competition from within—the Model 3—and needs to differentiate itself for customers who are attracted to BMW, Audi and Mercedes-Benz.

Immediate changes, CNET said, will include new color choices, LED headlights and a slight design change on the nose to look more like that of the Model X and Model 3. On the inside, the Model S will reportedly alter the front seats to look more like the Model X front seats, including offering ventilation, and door storage.

“Tesla is constantly innovating and adding new features to our vehicles to perpetually improve Tesla vehicles for our existing and future customers,” the company said in a statement skirting rumors on Friday.

The Model S, which took both the No. 1 and No. 2 spots on Consumer Reports' list of best cars for 2015, was released in 2012 and starts at around $70,000. But don’t expect that price to go down anytime soon. Tesla is reportedly selling the last of the previous generation’s inventory to welcome the updated Model S, whose price will likely increase, according to CNET.

Though Tesla didn’t confirm the style changes, the company said price changes will take effect in April. “We price our vehicles consistently throughout the world, which requires us to adjust pricing to foreign currency exchange rates,” Tesla said.

In the first quarter, Tesla sold 12,420 Model S sedans and just 2,400 units of the X, which was hit with some parts shortages. The total sales number of 14,820 fell 8 percent short of what the company had previously thought.

So far, about 325,000 pre-orders have been put in for the Model 3, which was unveiled last month. The car isn't expected to ship until late 2017.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...z9X4K24sFR5F2RX2WXGh7&t=1460154529&j=72206582

Reactions: SCW-Greg
Though Tesla didn’t confirm the style changes,

Just quoting this, just in case.

;)

This is starting to sound like all the rumors and speculation that surround any Apple iPhone release... where one little tidbit is posted somewhere, and then every news outlet else picks it up and writes a story as "real news".

And then none of those speculations actually come true.

Just quoting this, just in case.

;)

This is starting to sound like all the rumors and speculation that surround any Apple iPhone release... where one little tidbit is posted somewhere, and then every news outlet else picks it up and writes a story as "real news".

And then none of those speculations actually come true.

Just quoting this, just in case. ;-)

We will soon see. Sometimes the iPhone rumors are actually true...

I think EM is a smart guy and he is fully aware of the Osborne effect. IMO any changes will highly likely be value added items to get buyers on the fence. Including autopilot with the base price will be a good start.

Osborne effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not a matter of avoiding the Osborne effect since it can't be avoid. That's simply impossible unless you don't intend to innovate and improve - which is Tesla's strong point. So really, the name of the game is doing their best to mitigate it. That's why Tesla said today:

"We always encourage those interested in purchasing Model S to place their order so they can start enjoying the many benefits of Model S today."

Updated Tesla Model S with more features, higher price coming soon - Roadshow

In other words, enjoy the car you have today, because tomorrow we'll be selling a different and better one, but you can't drive tomorrow's car today. That's the best they can do to mitigate the Osborne effect. It's not much, and it's little consolation to those like me who got our cars pre-autopilot, but I did really enjoy my car in the spring/summer of 2014 before autopilot showed up in in Sept and I'm never getting that time back again. I honestly don't know if I would have waited had I known about AP coming. However, if I was ordering today, and reading these published rumours, I'd hold off for a bit.

I just ordered a S70 today to lock in the current pricing. Hopefully, the rumored updates are either announced or dispelled within the next 7 days.
My gut feeling is that minor updates leading to price increase might not be welcome by a few including myself.

Regardless of what this is a picture of, the front end will be updated and some other features will be added. I think we will see in a week or 2. Most locations DS and salespeople are saying changes are coming within a few weeks. I have asked 3 locations now and all saying same thing.
Bit off topic, but pretty cool to know Tesla has finally spread to the heart of the country. Don't see Nebraska members on here too often. Are they delivering your car straight to your home?

I'm still waiting myself. Plan is to buy/lease an S through mid /19, at which point I'll either re-up on a more fully autonomous S or grab a 3 assuming production queues have settled down.

I planning on buying either an CPO S with AP or a new model S then possibly buying a used 3 depending on the size. many of the orders placed for the 3 will most likely be sold quickly for profit. I want to see how small it is on the inside.

When Tesla has made any specifics about price increases, it's always about foreign countries. The US dollar is very strong right now compared to other currencies and that has forced Tesla to raise their prices overseas. With updated features, they may raise the price in the US too, but I expect the foreign prices will go up more sharply.

I liked the old Model S nose better than the Model X nose, so I'm not terribly happy about that change. However the increased storage will be welcome. That was a minor drawback when I was comparison shopping, though the pros of the Model S outweighed the cons by a large margin.

I could see Tesla migrating the front seat options from the Model X to the S. That would allow them to buy in larger volumes and save the inventory costs. I can also see Tesla migrating some other minor features on the X to save costs like the new way the windshield washers are routed on the X.

I hope the price increase isn't too steep. I was looking at having enough to pull the trigger in late May (assuming I don't have any unexpected expenses in the next couple of months), but a price increase more than $1000-$2000 would force me to delay another month or two.

My DS also has plausible deniability. No information one way or another. Tesla is either very good about not leaking information to the local staff, OR very good at letting their employees know their continued employment is tied to keeping quiet!

Tesla did stop production, has flooded the market with showroom cars and "buy new" cars with essentially zero miles on them (and full price tags), and has all but confirmed a price change by multiple sources. I have a scheduled June production and will wait this out.

A lot of people have likened Teslas and the Model S in particular to a piece of tech rather than just a car. So in that vein - The iPhone 5 was (and still is) a great phone, and I had one for two years. But who wants a 5 at full price once the 6 is out? That's my quandary.

Reactions: gsxdsm