Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably not, only one will operate at any one time.

But they could take a 100A breaker and put three HPWC. Most of the time I'm seeing destination chargers empty, so this one give the one user a faster charge. 3 users would still all be charged by morning. I know, it isn't as predictable as a single dedicated XXX amp charger, but I think overall it would be a good thing. I know ideal would be pulling 3 100A circuits, but everyone isn't going to do that, esp if it is a long distance.

I just really hope Tesla Motors lowers the price of the second onboard charger. Seeing that the new Model S's are going to be a different setup it means the old onboard chargers aren't going to move out of inventory being installed into vehicles. I have a 100amp HPWC at home but only the single charger in my car and have never needed more. For 2,000$ I won't be upgrading however if it was 1,000$ for the second charger (even 1,500$ maybe) I would upgrade in a heart beat.

What makes you think they have a lot of inventory on these? It's not as if this change caught them by surprise. My guess is that Tesla has been managing their inventory on the 40 amp chargers with this change in mind, and inventory on them is probably fairly low, and when they are gone, they'll be gone. They'll also need to keep some, or be able to get some to replace chargers in cars that have them currently.

Bottom line: I would not hold my breath for a "clearance sale" on Tesla 40 amp chargers.

I am impressed that Tesla has lowered the HPWC price so much in the past two years, and improved the design. I like the way the connector now hooks into the body of the unit.

Two and a half years ago, I think I paid $1,000 for my HPWC. Now you can buy one, with a slightly shorter cable, for half that. Okay, so it maxes out at 72A instead of 80A. I highly recommend that new S and X owners purchase an HPWC, much nicer way to charge than from a NEMA 14-50, and faster as well.

UNLESS you have to rewire your garage. Many garages have a 14-50 outlet already. Mine did. The outlet is just fine and charges my car in ten hours or less.

Nice that the HPWC is cheaper now, but if you have to hire someone to put in #2 or #4 wire (short run) or upgrade your panel, etc., etc., it's definitely not worth it. You have to take everything into consideration.

• Informative
Reactions: thecloud
My P85D (March 2015) has always had heated steering wheel. Is that just a 2014 thing?

Tesla started including the heated steering wheel in some cars being built with the cold weather package on cars that went into production around the second week in December, 2014. Initially it was just the three coldest regions that saw cars receiving the heated steering wheels. Eventually the heated steering wheels were added to all cars with the cold weather package.

I was lucky, in that I lived in one of the designated regions, and my car started production the week they started adding the heated steering wheel, so I got one. If my car had entered production a few days earlier, I would have been out of luck. I definitely got lucky on that one, and felt bad for those who just missed out.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I thought it was 20 per week. Most of them are things like changes to fasteners or a slight change to a cable bundle to improve reliability.

You are right on both counts. I fat-fingered the 2 and hit 3. But that's still 1000 upgrades a year, and some of them are big, hardware things (4 wheel drive) and some are little software things (my "summon" upgrade last night), but they all add up. After 3 years your car starts to feel older and older and the new ones are more and more amazing. The front end Refresh is not a slight change, and everyone knows you are driving Model S 1.0.

So you're the answer to my question of "does anyone own a Tesla in Ithaca?". I work (remotely) for a company in Ithaca, so I was asking my colleagues there whether there were any Teslas around. Do you have any local "Tesla friends"?

Neroden owned the second Tesla Model S in Ithaca. There was a Signature Red in Ithaca before his. I had the first P85D (so first D) in Ithaca, and I believe there were a few Model Ss between mine and Neroden's. And there are a lot more now. I don't have an exact figure, but I'm guessing at least ten Model Ss in and around Ithaca.

What company do you work remotely for?

UNLESS you have to rewire your garage. Many garages have a 14-50 outlet already. Mine did. The outlet is just fine and charges my car in ten hours or less.

Nice that the HPWC is cheaper now, but if you have to hire someone to put in #2 or #4 wire (short run) or upgrade your panel, etc., etc., it's definitely not worth it. You have to take everything into consideration.

40A charging is probably plenty for most as you point out.

You can still use a HPWC instead of the 14-50, if the switches are set correctly. Now that the HPWC is less expensive, it may make sense.

The HPWC is probably less expensive to design as it is larger so can get away with larger components. Can also have higher heat dissipation. Also less complexity in the connection points w/o the fancy auto-adjusting plugs, so less to wear/burn out so saves them money from a warranty standpoint.

Keep the mobile one in the car so your always ready if needed.

Since they went to the trouble of redesigning the bumper, it's a shame they didn't also design in the option for an accessory hitch, considering even the 3 will have one.

(Yes, I know there are aftermarket options, but I don't like the idea of taking a hacksaw to a $100k car.)

The aftermarket hitch from Torqlift Central is bolt on. No cutting. It goes on under the existing bumper, which is removed and replaced on top of the hitch frame. It is very like what Tesla uses.

Have had the Torqlift hitch since I bought my 85D last May Use it for bicycle rack. Works great (although bike rack and mountain bikes take a pretty decent toll on range).

Only bumper cutout is underneath the car. Impossible to see without wriggling under. And, even then, Torqlift offers a cool mag-mount cover which makes the hole disappear completely when the hitch is not in use.

As a summary, this is a facelift in the beauty sense, mostly about looks but few substantial technological changes, except for the lights.:rolleyes:

Performance, battery capacity, AP, charging, suspension all staying the same. Not quite yet what I had been hoping for, geekwise.

If I order now, will I get a 100D if I want one or no? :cool: My gut feeling is this is starting to cost sales rather than bring them. But I am not a marketing genius.

Are the current model X LED lights much brighter / better than the previous Model S Xenons?

I think you left off a several of pros for updates between December 2014 and this update. There are things like LTE, improved fit and finish, 90kWh battery (100kWh if you wait just a little longer), Ludacris mode, etc. that have crept in slowly since 2014.

Also, some of the cons as fairly minor (72A vs 80A, is 50MPH vs 56MPH charging and only if you pay for the extra charger). No inventory cars is a temporary issue, damage was only cheaper before if only the nose cone was damaged, nose cone looks nice in Deep Metalic Blue, which it seem like you like, no one has even seen the real head lights in person yet, let alone parked, access questions will be answered, etc.
Good point - I forgot to list 90kWh and LTE. Ludicrous my P85D already has, hence the underline.