Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So where did the AP radar go in the new S? Is it behind the nose? Is the nose plastic or aluminium? Can we cover the old radar with plastic too to prevent it from collecting mud & snow or will it screw up its sensitivity?

Do the LED lights use less energy, and if so, do they come with heaters for the winter? Even in Seattle, when it gets cold only the small portion directly in front of the xenons ever defrosts on its own (the rear LEDs stay frosted).

Also, without the nose cone, how do you jump-start a Model S that has a dead 12V battery (so doors will not unlock)?

Last edited:
Pretty much everyone will put a numberplate on the front, not sure why Tesla doesn't cater for this easily with a mounting point ready to go.
That's an interesting point: in the UK, all cars have number plates on the front.
Of course, we don't have a Model X yet so difficult to know for sure what the "official Tesla plate installation" will look like, but with the more angular front, I hope it doesn't spoil the aesthetics too much...

It'll be interesting to see the MX touring around which I'll see next Sunday, so maybe that will have mounted plates on the front? Although no idea whether it'll be a UK-registered car or not, I presume not.

Reactions: bradjc
image.jpeg
Pretty much everyone will put a numberplate on the front, not sure why Tesla doesn't cater for this easily with a mounting point ready to go.

This photo shows a plate mount - similar to what is available for the nosecone Model S.

So where did the AP radar go in the new S? Is it behind the nose? Is the nose plastic or aluminium? Can we cover the old radar with plastic too to prevent it from collecting mud & snow or will it screw up its sensitivity?

Do the LED lights use less energy, and if so, do they come with heaters for the winter? Even in Seattle, when it gets cold only the small portion directly in front of the xenons ever defrosts on its own (the rear LEDs stay frosted).

Also, without the nose cone, how do you jump-start a Model S that has a dead 12V battery (so doors will not unlock)?
Lots of good questions we mostly don't have answers for yet.

Clearly the radar is under the plastic somewhere just like the X - hopefully not anywhere people might put a license plate.

I haven't seen an answer about jumping - we're assuming they will have pull tabs like the X does.
Walter

LED headlights in cold regions tend to get clogged up with snow and ice. I think a number of European car makers install headlight wipers which may become more common as LED headlights get more common.

I assume they put a port for jumping the 12V battery somewhere in the frunk.