Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would you get to it if the 12V battery is dead and the car will not open?
On the X there are cables to be pulled in sequence (that I believe only function if the car has no 12V power) which release the Frunk.

I'm assuming Tesla would have to be doing something similar here - and I'm being circumspect in describing them because I'm not 100% certain they only function without 12V power and some folks on the forum are worried about the security of their Frunk contents if the method is repeated to often.

On the X there are cables to be pulled in sequence (that I believe only function if the car has no 12V power) which release the Frunk.

I'm assuming Tesla would have to be doing something similar here - and I'm being circumspect in describing them because I'm not 100% certain they only function without 12V power and some folks on the forum are worried about the security of their Frunk contents if the method is repeated to often.
I don't need to know, but I would assume if that is the recommended way to do that, it will be mentioned in the user manual which will surely become available online (if not already so, I don't have a Model X, just a Model S but the manual is available online). I'd be curious whether there is any lockout when 12V is available (and how "no 12V" threshold is defined/detected, since the battery will still be there supplying 12V with no load, but may not have enough juice to extend the door handles and/or unlock the doors).

I don't need to know, but I would assume if that is the recommended way to do that, it will be mentioned in the user manual which will surely become available online (if not already so, I don't have a Model X, just a Model S but the manual is available online). I'd be curious whether there is any lockout when 12V is available (and how "no 12V" threshold is defined/detected, since the battery will still be there supplying 12V with no load, but may not have enough juice to extend the door handles and/or unlock the doors).

Online yes. Owner's Manual, no - as far as I know, anyway. I'm also very curious about exactly what lockouts Tesla put in place, but so far I haven't seen anyone testing them. Maybe we'll get a clearer answer as more folks get Xs to experiment on. :)

Have had the Torqlift hitch since I bought my 85D last May Use it for bicycle rack. Works great (although bike rack and mountain bikes take a pretty decent toll on range).

Only bumper cutout is underneath the car. Impossible to see without wriggling under. And, even then, Torqlift offers a cool mag-mount cover which makes the hole disappear completely when the hitch is not in use.

And, may I point out, the cutout is through thin plastic. You can cut it with a box cutter knife.

I see a lot of "I just go without a front plate even though it's the law" and "drill and use the front license plate bracket because it's the law" replies...but I'm asking if there are alternatives like Magnaplate or The Law that will work on the updated S (or X or 3).

3M Automotive double sided tape. My plate has been stuck to the nosecone with it for almost a year and a half now with no issues and I have used it on every other car I have ever owned and never lost a plate. Just use double or triple layers where necessary to deal with any curves.

But law in most countries (actual law, as opposed to the slightly loose version in many US states!)

It varies depending on the state. Try getting away without one in Washington or Oregon. Though usually it's just a "fix it" ticket.

I've heard stories the cops are pretty quick to pull over anyone with in state plates on the back but no front plate. I discovered today that 2 of the 3 center stop bulbs have been burned out and it's probably been a while (they were original and the car is 24 years old) and I've never been pulled over for burned out lights. My SO has had a burned out taillight for a year and we haven't gotten around to replacing it and she hasn't been stopped either. So the cops are much more concerned about license plates than with taillights.

On modern cars often the front license plate is the only flat surface cops can use to target a radar gun, so maybe that's why they want front license plates.

California is very lax about front license plates and they have been for decades. I lost my front license plate when I was in college and never bothered to replace it.

3M Automotive double sided tape. My plate has been stuck to the nosecone with it for almost a year and a half now with no issues and I have used it on every other car I have ever owned and never lost a plate. Just use double or triple layers where necessary to deal with any curves.
Thanks for the tip! Sounds like a rather cheap solution to the problem. I may give it a try next month. :)

Everyone remember when people said there was no refresh coming?

I admit to being one of them, though I did add the caveat that I thought most if not all changes would be porting over tech from the Model X that could be ported. It looks like the only thing that needed to be re-engineered for the change was the nosecone and possibly the enclosure for the HEPA filter, the space where it fits in a bit different shape than the Model X.

There were rumors the update would include door pockets and the Model X front seats. Because the Model X is taller, its front seats may not fit in the Model S and the front door may be similar in size and shape, but not exact so the inner door panels from the Model X won't fit.

That's odd. I confirmed my order last week and my car won't enter production until next month. My DS told me yesterday that I would be getting black piano decor, even though it's no longer available in the design studio. My DS told me I would have to pay a change fee and also the extra $1500 new book price (so $2000 total) if I wanted the new decor.

Same here. I didn't have the premium interior option, but it can be added now without changing the old price. However, if I request to have the new ash reflected in the configuration, new base price of 70D will be applied. It is said that adding options that were not available prior to price change will put the entire configuration into the new pricing system.

Interesting. First thought was how do you make a mechanical release that only works when car has no 12v power. Second thought is... that is probably why, assuming I understood correctly, there is more than 1 cable that must be pulled in sequence. The first probably acts like a test to verify the battery is dead, and if it is, it completes the linkage for the 2nd cable that actually pops the hood (more precisely, the first pull engages the link for the 2nd mechanically, but the linkage is denied or automatically released electronically if 12v power is present.) Well, anyway, that's what I envision.

Took delivery of my Model S a few days ago (03/31) so a little disappointing that the new look and HEPA now available and I missed out on this - particularly because I had delivery set for mid-end of April and the Tesla rep talked me into taking it early... I don't know if this was intentional to move the old parts or if just to help with their end of quarter sales targets.

I do love my new car but timing here could not have been worse.. I've reached out to see if any exchange option but so far I'm getting the run around. Considering the 90 day happiness guarantee but I read they may block you from ordering new Tesla if you avail of this - does anyone know if this is the case or any other options to exchange a few days after delivery?

thanks!

Focus on the "I love my new car" and you'll be happier. Every Tesla owner could tell this story if he wanted to (I could have had parking sensors and auto folding side mirrors if only I had waited another month when I ordered in 2013). That's the price you pay for wanting a car that is continually being improved. Keep wanting the next great thing and you'll never get to drive one.

First of all, welcome to the forums, PeterJ.

As for TexasEV's statement that "Every Tesla owner could tell this story," I'm sorry, but I've got to disagree.

On the one hand, I don't think PeterJ's sales rep talked PeterJ into taking delivery earlier than he had planned because of the new options. I think it was almost certainly done so that the delivery would take place in the first quarter. That being said, the vast majority of Tesla owners ordered a car and never had anyone from Tesla attempt to influence their delivery date one way or the other. I imagine only a very, very small number of Tesla owners would say that their sales rep encouraged them to take delivery at a time other than when they had planned to. And from that very, very small number, it would only be a minuscule number that found that by taking delivery earlier, they had missed out on some new, free, desirable features.

I think, TexasEV, that your statement is inaccurate, and invalidates PeterJ's very understandable feelings of disappointment. What he experienced is not what we all experienced. It's not close. He is justified in feeling upset. I don't know that Tesla is likely to do anything for him, because it mainly boils down to his having been very, very unlucky. But we shouldn't minimize how PeterJ is feeling by exaggerating and saying it has been like this for all of us when it hasn't been. That's just not fair!

TesS went 8 months without a front plate or drama... in WA. YMMV.
I managed to get pulled over for no front license in Redmond, WA during the brief time that I had temporary plates when upgrading my MS last year - so I guess it depends on your luck. After the cop saw my temporary license on the back, he told me "nevermind, but make sure Tesla installs your front plate when you get it", so they apparently he knew specifically about Teslas (there are plenty of those around Redmond/Bellevue). They don't focus just on Tesla's though, immediately after he let me go, in the rear view mirror I saw him pulling over an Audi without front plates. It seems like that was all he was pulling people over for - stopped on a side road during stop-and-go rush traffic, like shooting fish in a barrel.

Same here. I didn't have the premium interior option, but it can be added now without changing the old price. However, if I request to have the new ash reflected in the configuration, new base price of 70D will be applied. It is said that adding options that were not available prior to price change will put the entire configuration into the new pricing system.

Are you sure about this? I did not order air suspension originally and asked if I could add it. However I was told it would re-price the entire order. Air has always been an option.

Thanks, it's not like I haven't been on the other end...ordered my first one in March 2013, took delivery in May 2013 - then shortly after they introduced folding mirrors and parking sensors. Then TACC. Then...auto pilot. Was I envious? Of course! Did I love my Tesla less, NO! It was and still is an incredible machine and I drove it with joy every single day for nearly 3 years, and now her new owners are enjoying her just as much. Was I happy for those back then who (maybe) unwittingly ordered at just the "right" time and got a "bonus"? YES! I got what I ordered when I ordered it, why would I hate on anyone? And as Tesla owners, we are all fortunate.

Anyhoo, moving on...

Turns out this car is more like an iPhone than a regular car.
Every year Apple makes just enough of a change to make me consider upgrading.
Tesla is doing the same to previous owners. Trying to get them to trade in.
Unfortunately the cost to do so is a bit more than a new iPhone.

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
Turns out this car is more like an iPhone than a regular car.
Every year Apple makes just enough of a change to make me consider upgrading.

Uhhh no. Lets be realistic here are all the changes,

1. Nose
2. Interior Trims

3. Headlights
4. Biodefense mode
5. 12v battery relocation (maybe)
6. Model X style windshield wipers
7. Slightly more range, most likely due to LEDs being more efficient.
8. Rear diffuser change

9. Price went up by 1.5K, front end repairs will be more expensive.

#3 - is a real improvement, but lets be serious, ModelS eyebrows were hella cool, and ModelS headlights were not BAD by any stretch of imagination.
#1 and #2 are purely subjective. I personally feel the new one looks too bland, too much paint, no character. Tesla eliminated components to simplify their life, the car can be put together in fewer steps now.
#4 - Gimmick.
#6, #7, #8 - Not big changes.
#5 and #9 - Bad changes.

NONE of these changes are a compelling reason to trade in your 2015.
Okay if you had a 2013, I could see some reason, but that reason is mostly AutoPilot.
If you don't care about Autopilot, honestly I'd pocket the cash and keep driving your awesome car.

Lets be honest here, this new "refresh", when you are sitting inside the car, .. its still the same car basically.
The way I see it,
- Gen 1 - 2012
- Gen 2 - AutopIlot
- This is more like Gen 2.1 :)

TL;DR; People are blowing this refresh way out of proportion. The changes are not that major.