Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S without AP Hardware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 395592 Hi all, I was looking at possibly buying a private party 2016 Model S but noticed that the invoice was unclear (at least to me) about AP Hardware. Do all 2016 Model S have AP Hardware or is it possible to have one without it? This is a model with the facelift front so it is at least past July production. I’ll post the spec sheet. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

A455EBB6-71BA-45FB-BEA2-A50B99EBCC96.png
Attaching the spec sheet

This car has the AP hardware but no AP was purchased. Production switched to AP2.0 hardware in October 2016. Looking at the spec sheet, I can't tell whether it has AP1.0 or AP2.0 hardware. If you have the VIN, that could help. You could hide the last two digits. Example: 159,3XX

Also, instead of a used Model S, you would be better off buying a new Model 3 because it has newer tech, more range for the same money and faster Supercharging. If you want me to do a detailed comparison between this Model S and a Model 3, let me know the price of this S60 so I can pick the correct Model 3 to compare.

Last edited:
2016 is a complicated year because there were 3 different versions of Model S made (pre-refresh AP1, post-refresh AP1, and post-refresh AP2). So build date is critical. There are reports here on the forums of people having difficulty getting Tesla to activate autopilot on old AP1 cars so keep that in mind. Here’s a blog post outlining the different versions and critical dates:

https://www.teslaadviceblog.com/blog/buying-guide-model-s-versions-1-2-3-and-4

Reactions: computerchuck
View attachment 395594 Attaching the spec sheet
There is no guarantee that it isn’t active in the car because it may have been activated after purchase. The best bet is to call Tesla and give them the vin and ask if it is AP1 or 2 or ask the seller because if not active they should have a price to activate in their app. The refresh S60 is the Gem of the Tesla world because it is a cheaper S75 with the same battery and so much car for the money. Drive one and then drive a 3 and you will see the difference. AP1 is cheaper to activate than AP2 and performance is outstanding with no issues.