Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 P90D or 2017 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can try to dig it up but I wrote a small comparison of a new X versus mine which is VIN 15K. Overall fit and finish is something you can notice given time. Small details even if you are microscopic. It comes down to what you can/can't live with. Panel gaps and misalignment, I don't care much anymore. One thing people never consider is that when you bring the X in to get realigned, an update can change door behavior (which it has) and boom, misalignment. I've been through what I think is one of the worst X stories, but luckily the SC has made it better. We were down to a point where one more SC visit due to either door, we'd sell the X. This was back in early 2017.

I am one of the few that likes AP, but does not have it. Even when I'm stressed or in a bad mood, I find enjoyment out of driving. Performance is higher on the list for me since I also enjoy smoking those Corvettes and Dodges that keep trying. Newer tech and build quality though could be a make or break it if you don't use the power as often or see value in it.

Tax incentive/credits is a tough one because I assume most of the Tesla buyers can truly utilize all of them to the full amount. This can be very helpful and push someone one way or the other. That's down to you. If you do however consider the two used the P90D IMO as 33K miles isn't that much.

Reactions: P85_DA
I have been driving a P90D as my loaner for the last 2.5 weeks. It's a fine car. It's fast with ludicrous. However, it feels like it's going to fall apart at times. I think the stress of the extra torque aged the car to feel beyond its years. I don't know if a 2017 75D is a whole lot better. I know for a fact that I love my 2018 75D more than this P90D loaner, even w/out ludicrous mode.

If the option were to get a new 75D vs a 2016 P90D, I'd say hands down get the new 75D personally. With it being used, I don't know. I would say, personally, neither and buy a new one :p

Reactions: Peteski
I have been driving a P90D as my loaner for the last 2.5 weeks. It's a fine car. It's fast with ludicrous. However, it feels like it's going to fall apart at times. I think the stress of the extra torque aged the car to feel beyond its years. I don't know if a 2017 75D is a whole lot better. I know for a fact that I love my 2018 75D more than this P90D loaner, even w/out ludicrous mode.

If the option were to get a new 75D vs a 2016 P90D, I'd say hands down get the new 75D personally. With it being used, I don't know. I would say, personally, neither and buy a new one :p

That fits in with my experience too. I first started looking into buying a Model X in mid 2017 and at that time the demo cars at our local dealer still had various quality issues and slow, temperamental FWDs. Some of the panel fits were atrocious and I'm not overly fussy about that sort of thing. I discussed this at length with the sales guy (who was very open and honest btw) and he agreed and said that they were under pressure to improve general build quality. So I waited another few months and went back again when the next batch of showroom cars was delivered (late September 2017) and I have to say they were much improved in terms of panel fits and had the newer mat finish seat backs etc. FWD operation was much smoother too. I was impressed enough to actually order one at that point and my car was delivered in mid Feb 2018. Panel fits are not all perfect, but pretty acceptable and reliability has been almost faultless. Only minor issue I had after a couple of months was a trapped wiring loom in the tailgate causing false object detection on closing. That was fixed in one short service centre visit and zero problems since other than the usual minor software bugs and even those are far less common with recent firmware updates.

So maybe you do need to get a very late 2017 or 2018 car to realise the full benefit of Tesla's production learning curve with the MX, but I certainly wouldn't want the potential hassle of an early 2016 car! The extra performance of a P model would be very tempting, but that would soon wear thin if there were issues with the FWDs, driveshafts etc, which have been faultless in my early 2018 car.

• Love
Reactions: Sandiegodoug
Well first, I think there's a concern with the listing. The fourth to last picture shows that someone left an engine in the frunk.

To tell if it has the premium package.
- On older cars:
1. Look for a fuzzy passenger side dash
2. Close yourself inside it and see if the cabin lights up

- On newer cars:
1. Check for heated rear seats.
2. Check for bio defense mode.

When asking a dealer, ask them for a picture of the dash and pictures of various tabs of the screens.

Someone pointed me to the teslainventory website. A glance these MX are really priced steep. But some said they bought a MX for $80k before the credits. That is possible?

As of today? No. But I think you can get a new one for ~$88k range of a used one that you're looking for, especially considering the $7,500 tax credit still being available. There was one in inventory earlier this week that was in the low 90's for a 75D.

Inventory discounts are available and range anywhere from a couple hundred bucks to tens of thousands of dollars, but I apologize if I gave you the impression you could purchase one guaranteed for $80k before tax credits, I was using one of my cars as an example. That was from a very different time period. A period where 60Ds were still a thing, $1000 referral credits existed, options weren't packaged, OAs were willing to remove software options to move cars, and for one of my cars - spent over 6 months looking through the inventory daily to get to the $80k number.

Nowadays, the cars come packaged. And you'd be hard pressed to find any inventory car doesn't have a bunch of options loaded in due to being showroom cars. But I think you have to take a hard look at what you want in terms of a car and options and evaluate the used vs new risk and payoffs.

That black one you listed is a 7 seater, solid black, textile seats. We don't know if it has EAP or FSD, or PUP. If we exclude those, the sticker price on a new build would be $87,200. It does have the 22's, but I didn't add them as you can get those for half price on the forums. That's before any eligible credits. Add EAP and you're at $92,200 - still before tax credits. Subtract the federal ($7,500) and state ($2,500) and at $82,200...why would you want a used one of unknown condition, options, and eligibility for free supercharging transferability? That's a $2000 price difference, and we didn't even talk about the cost to ship the car from NY to you in CA...

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA