Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 P90DL - New Main Battery Time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have a 2016 facelift Model S P90DL, it's done nearly 77,000 miles. I feel the main battery degradation is pretty bad and that I might be bordering on meeting Tesla's requirements for a warranty replacement.

I did a trip today, left on 100% charge straight after charging had stopped. I got home with 10% battery, did 165.8 miles and crucially used only 57.8kWh.

I appreciate this isn't overly scientific but do you think I'm at the point that it's worth a try with Tesla? There are no faults as such, just perceived degredation.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
degredation.jpg

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Taken from Tesla's website:

Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty​

The Battery and Drive Unit in your vehicle are covered for a period of:
Model S
Model X
8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

It's the 70% retention I was questioning.

• Disagree
Reactions: gaswalla
Taken from Tesla's website:

Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty​

The Battery and Drive Unit in your vehicle are covered for a period of:
Model S
Model X
8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

It's the 70% retention I was questioning.
That warranty applies to new cars. Not yours. You have an 8 year unlimited mile warranty with no capacity guarantee.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Hi all,

I have a 2016 facelift Model S P90DL, it's done nearly 77,000 miles. I feel the main battery degradation is pretty bad and that I might be bordering on meeting Tesla's requirements for a warranty replacement.

I did a trip today, left on 100% charge straight after charging had stopped. I got home with 10% battery, did 165.8 miles and crucially used only 57.8kWh.

I appreciate this isn't overly scientific but do you think I'm at the point that it's worth a try with Tesla? There are no faults as such, just perceived degredation.

Thanks in advance,

Rob
View attachment 906444
Not related to your question, but how do you have a navigation direction overlaid on the energy graph on the left?? It looks so cool!

Not related to your question, but how do you have a navigation direction overlaid on the energy graph on the left?? It looks so cool!
If your are navigating to a destination and have a display other than navigation selected on the left side of the display, you will get navigation alerts pop up at the bottom as you approach turns, exits you need to take, etc. So for longer stretches where you just need to follow the current road, you will not see them until you get to the next turn at which point the pop-up direction will return.

It's not related to MCU1, does the same for me in my mid-2016 MS90D API that I've upgraded to MCU2. Now it may be related to AP1 or standard autopilot and navigate on AP, EAP, FSD may possibly behave differently.