Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 S90D or 2018 S75D

2016 S90D or 2018 S75D

• 2016 S90D

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • 2018 S75D

Votes: 29 85.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am taking the Tesla plunge and I am planning to purchase a used Model S. I started my search on the Tesla website and was originally targeting a 2016 S90D. These tended to fall into my price range pretty regularly and most seem to be fairly well optioned. I expanded my search to a couple of other sites and have run across quite a few 2018 S75D at some independent dealers in the same price range as the S90Ds I have been watching on the Tesla site. I know to watch out for random dealers however these look to have a pretty large selection of Tesla’s.

My main question to those of you who own one or the other, maybe both, when considering these two options are similarly priced with similar miles does the range of the 90 make up for the slightly old technology.

I think the answer is quite obvious, go newer. That being said, “you don’t know what you don’t know”.......

A few notes;
My commute to work is 40 miles one way so I average 85 to 100 miles on my car on any given day.
I live in Ohio and while at work, my car sits out in the cold during the winter months.
Tesla service center between work and home.

I was in a similar spot when I was looking to buy my first Tesla but I was also looking at a LR M3. I picked the MS over M3 because I wanted something bigger; and the 90D over the 75D because I prioritized range over the newer features. Smart summon, Netflix, youtube, games weren't a draw and I can always just use my iPad to watch movies.

If you don't have access to the car itself to check the screen, check the production date on the sticker inside the door and if it's built after 3/2018 it should be MCU 2

The general consensus is go for the ‘18.

I guess the follow up is, do I pump in another 4-5k for the enhanced w AP 2.5, I think. I have seen a couple that state under the AP settings Autosteer (beta) Navigate on Autopilot (beta) & summon (beta) FSD I assume. Others just state Autosteer (beta) with no mention of the Navigate option or Summons. All indicate some of the adaptive tools (lane departure, auto emergency braking and obstacle aware acceleration.

Is this tech worth the money at this point?

I'd get and actually got the s90d in just a few months ago. 75 charges much slower, and that is what I envey of the model 3. Mcu works fine, ap1 as well, no need for something faster IMHO. Netflix can be seen on an iPad.
The one thing I miss is sentry mode, but there are dashcams that do that.

Reactions: sd_tom
I’m gonna go on the other side and say get the Mod 3. We’re talking about a lot of money. So you don’t want regrets. First pray on it that you make the right choice then consider.

1. It’s newer so you get the latest motor, radar, lights etc tech.
2. Any problems will be new to the product line. You aren’t buying someone else’s troubles. Three years of heat and cold dry out plastics and rubbers if the car was not garaged.
3 Consider trade in value, you may want the Model Y next year.
4. For the money who want the spill & worn out marks on the arm rest & doors.
5. Test drive both at the dealer. In my experience driving the Mod 3 just felt better and tighter so more enjoyable.
6. Size does matter, who will you need to haul around? If it just you and your wife why do you need extra rear seat room. Again test drive them both.
7. Landscape vs Portrait. The Tesla is known by its screen the landscape give you more usable information. Plus placement is more reachable.
8. The Mod 3 parking is much easier if you live in the city.
9. IMO the camera is better in the Mod 3 and I need that for back up parking.
10. Again Drive ‘em both maybe a couple of times, this is a big investments
11. Lastly maybe you should lease witch give you lower payments and an easy out.

Reactions: Simon_Emes
Now that Tesla bumped the max supercharge rate of the 75 up to the 120kw range, the difference is really negligible between the 75 and 90. Certainly not “much slower”.

ucmndd, where did you read about 75D charging rate increase? I couldn't find the details. We have a 2019 Standard Range S (75 battery) and the highest charging rate I've seen is 113 or 114 kW.

ucmndd, where did you read about 75D charging rate increase? I couldn't find the details. We have a 2019 Standard Range S (75 battery) and the highest charging rate I've seen is 113 or 114 kW.

what you’re seeing *IS* the increase. One or two have seen peaks around 120kw, but 113-115 is more common.

Until this summer, 75kwh batteries peaked at 100kw supercharging.

what you’re seeing *IS* the increase. One or two have seen peaks around 120kw, but 113-115 is more common.

Until this summer, 75kwh batteries peaked at 100kw supercharging.
My 75kwh battery has gotten to 124kw but most recently I was getting 120kw. This photo is from july
20190714_161037.jpg

I was in a similar spot when I was looking to buy my first Tesla but I was also looking at a LR M3. I picked the MS over M3 because I wanted something bigger; and the 90D over the 75D because I prioritized range over the newer features. Smart summon, Netflix, youtube, games weren't a draw and I can always just use my iPad to watch movies.

If you don't have access to the car itself to check the screen, check the production date on the sticker inside the door and if it's built after 3/2018 it should be MCU 2

Same here! Mine came with FSD & AP2 which was enough tech for me. Knowing that the retrofits for MCU2 & AP3 are coming soon, it was a smart decision.