Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 used inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been searching for an 85d or 90d for about 2 weeks. Started with a 85d 2015. I've starting to notice the 2016 90d models coming in, and pricing a lot better than the 2015's that seem to be sitting.
Thoughts on a good time to buy as it looks like the 2016's leases are starting to roll in???

What made me hesitant to pull the trigger was I started at $53k and as the week passed, inventory was coming in and now I've seen lowest in the $45k range for a 2015. My thoughts a 2016 should be coming in around $47k anyday now. Found 1 for $50,xxx in San Diego, $49,xxx in Chicago. Prefer to stay in the SF Bay Area. Thoughts???

I'm hesitant to jump due to the timeline on getting a vehicle. Was quoted about 30 days from a rep. Id hate to order one and once the pickup is ready, comparable models will be $2k+ cheaper. I'm guessing that's how it'll be??

Thanks for any tips. 1st time Tesla buyer here and have been reading lots of horror stories.

Albeit, I was talking with an EV dealer that has sold over 100 used Model S. He mentioned that the bubbles come in quarters. I dont know the validity behind the argument, but he said, youll see depending on their quarters, when the "bubble" of return leased cars will come.
For example, the Q1 2019, youll see in 2022, a huge jump in March 2022, because the first 2 months were just exporting to EU and Asia.

I guess what I am trying to say is, look back on quarterly sales, and determine, when a majority fo car sales will be had, as this would align with basic Supply/Demand, and when Teslas would be down in price.
He did say, 12 months ago, he was selling Teslas used for 60k, now he has 2015 MS 70D for under 40k. Who knows what is to come next.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and IdaX
Albeit, I was talking with an EV dealer that has sold over 100 used Model S. He mentioned that the bubbles come in quarters. I dont know the validity behind the argument, but he said, youll see depending on their quarters, when the "bubble" of return leased cars will come.
For example, the Q1 2019, youll see in 2022, a huge jump in March 2022, because the first 2 months were just exporting to EU and Asia.

I guess what I am trying to say is, look back on quarterly sales, and determine, when a majority fo car sales will be had, as this would align with basic Supply/Demand, and when Teslas would be down in price.
He did say, 12 months ago, he was selling Teslas used for 60k, now he has 2015 MS 70D for under 40k. Who knows what is to come next.

Good to know. Hope in March a load of 2016 rolls in. Ev-cpo updated the listed dates, so that is helping me with my search. The prices are soooo off when comparing apples to apples. Thread up, someone put a deposit on a decently optioned out 85d for 45,xxxx. Others compared are north of $50-$53k. Just wondering why the large difference. Is it the inspection of the vehicle? Waiting on their reply on the condition of the vehicle upon arrival.

Now, to wait for FSD, or get an AP1 now with warranty and then look for another when FSD actually rolls out. (stop light/sign reading aren't important.)
What year did the 2017 have unlimited supercharging that will transfer over?

I notice your in CA. I think CA cars generally go cheaper than adjacent states (by several $K), because they've already used up the 3-year free carpool lane use. If you buy the same car from a nearby state, that hasn't used it's CA carpool eligibility, then it would be eligible for carpool lanes in CA. I'm in the market for a similar car, and I may very well end up buying from CA because of the cost differential compared to Seattle.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I notice your in CA. I think CA cars generally go cheaper than adjacent states (by several $K), because they've already used up the 3-year free carpool lane use. If you buy the same car from a nearby state, that hasn't used it's CA carpool eligibility, then it would be eligible for carpool lanes in CA. I'm in the market for a similar car, and I may very well end up buying from CA because of the cost differential compared to Seattle.

Im seeing East Coast before shipping is cheaper. With shipping it comes out slightly higher. Fortunately I don't need the HOV. It'll be mainly a family car (3 people). But snow, salt.. factors to stay away from East Coast.

Can someone clarify this? Looking into buying a 2015 or 2016 model s. I live in California and need HOV for my commute. If the used car I buy was registered in CA by the previous owner, can I not get HOV stickers for my car? Is there no way for me to purchase them when I go to register it in my name?

Also, if the used car I purchase was previously registered in a different state, would I then be able to get HOV stickers when I register it in CA in my name?

Can someone clarify this? Looking into buying a 2015 or 2016 model s. I live in California and need HOV for my commute. If the used car I buy was registered in CA by the previous owner, can I not get HOV stickers for my car? Is there no way for me to purchase them when I go to register it in my name?
As long as it never had HOV stickers in California previously, you should be able to add them to a used car from California.

Also, if the used car I purchase was previously registered in a different state, would I then be able to get HOV stickers when I register it in CA in my name?
As long as it never had HOV stickers in California previously, you should be able to add them to a used car from outside California.

Basically, any new or used car could get HOV stickers as long as it didn't previously have them in California.

As long as it never had HOV stickers in California previously, you should be able to add them to a used car from California.

As long as it never had HOV stickers in California previously, you should be able to add them to a used car from outside California.

Basically, any new or used car could get HOV stickers as long as it didn't previously have them in California.
Thanks for that info. It’d be safe to assume most used Tesla’s in CA had HOV stickers with the previous owners. If that’s the case, is there literally no way of getting them when registering the car in my name? You’d think CA would be happy to accept an egregiously taxed payment at the DMV for such a thing

Thanks for that info. It’d be safe to assume most used Tesla’s in CA had HOV stickers with the previous owners. If that’s the case, is there literally no way of getting them when registering the car in my name? You’d think CA would be happy to accept an egregiously taxed payment at the DMV for such a thing

If you are buying used from the Tesla, the rep can pull up the VIN to see if the HOV was registered. Well, mines did.. Or was just billsh*tting me.

I've been searching for an 85d or 90d for about 2 weeks. Started with a 85d 2015. I've starting to notice the 2016 90d models coming in, and pricing a lot better than the 2015's that seem to be sitting.
Thoughts on a good time to buy as it looks like the 2016's leases are starting to roll in???

What made me hesitant to pull the trigger was I started at $53k and as the week passed, inventory was coming in and now I've seen lowest in the $45k range for a 2015. My thoughts a 2016 should be coming in around $47k anyday now. Found 1 for $50,xxx in San Diego, $49,xxx in Chicago. Prefer to stay in the SF Bay Area. Thoughts???

I'm hesitant to jump due to the timeline on getting a vehicle. Was quoted about 30 days from a rep. Id hate to order one and once the pickup is ready, comparable models will be $2k+ cheaper. I'm guessing that's how it'll be??

Thanks for any tips. 1st time Tesla buyer here and have been reading lots of horror stories.

For what it's worth, I traded in a Model S 90D (VIN 5YJSA1E23GF139394) in late December via a lease pull ahead program. It is in fantastic condition & currently in Chicago. While it is out of the price range you have mentioned, I recommend you take a look! 2016 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1E23GF139394 | False, Fa | Tesla

Reactions: GeoX750
For what it's worth, I traded in a Model S 90D (VIN 5YJSA1E23GF139394) in late December via a lease pull ahead program. It is in fantastic condition & currently in Chicago. While it is out of the price range you have mentioned, I recommend you take a look! 2016 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1E23GF139394 | False, Fa | Tesla
Man what a shame, love that car and am looking at same vehicle (diff VIN) for wife. What would your buyout have been? It looks like you took great care of it.
Dzm

2E8D47B9-696B-4327-B218-220938C6FBAF.jpeg
EBFD83F4-95E6-4399-A490-6EFFEE8F311D.png
Hi! I’m new to the forum and this is my first post. I purchased a 2016 90D fully loaded from Texas today (Thursday), and it’s on route to me for Sunday delivery- 3 days! It has low miles, existing Tesla warranty, and free supercharging. Best of all, I’ll be able to get CA purple stickers for the HOV lane. Easiest transaction ever and no regrets. I paid $55k. I may or may not give her a nose job down the line.

Reactions: IdaX
View attachment 379482 View attachment 379481 Hi! I’m new to the forum and this is my first post. I purchased a 2016 90D fully loaded from Texas today (Thursday), and it’s on route to me for Sunday delivery- 3 days! It has low miles, existing Tesla warranty, and free supercharging. Best of all, I’ll be able to get CA purple stickers for the HOV lane. Easiest transaction ever and no regrets. I paid $55k. I may or may not give her a nose job down the line.

What year was the car built? And the mileage on the vehicle? Are you using Tesla Shipping of $2,000? Shipping + car was $55k or was that just for the car?

Thanks,

What year was the car built? And the mileage on the vehicle? Are you using Tesla Shipping of $2,000? Shipping + car was $55k or was that just for the car?

Thanks,
It’s a 2016 (pre-fascia) 90D purchased from Reserve Auto in The Colony, TX. I used their shipment company for an add’l $600. I tried purchasing from Tesla pre-owned inventory but it was such a hassle. I worked with Kevin and the whole experience (2 days total!) was seemless. He was quick to send additional photos and videos, and you can get a 3rd party inspector for an additional $300 if you need more piece of mind.