Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

A "new" Model S (90D) -- from model year 2016! (a demo) what to do...

I thought I had gotten lucky -- I found (as Tesla UK existing inventory) a "new" Model S, 90D, a demo with ~9k miles for just under £47k. This was being represented as a £30k savings on the new-car price -- it seemed like a really good deal.

What I've now learned is that it's a car from 2016. (It wasn't apparent from the listing.) This means that the discount is merely fair, resulting in a price that is roughly in line with what I'd spend if I bought a 2016 90D via the regular 2nd-hand market.

I'd be grateful for thoughts on advantages/disadvantages of proceeding with the order.

Advantages:
--warranty as if new (I think)
--I'd imagine it has been driven pretty gently; impossible to know, but I'm guessing test-drivers don't go nuts
???

Disadvantages:
--no free supercharging
--they won't give me a Tesla loan -- I'll have to go for private finance, w/ higher interest rate

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
If it was a private sale with free Supercharging, I would consider it if it had AP2. You could have AP2 upgraded to AP3 and the MCU could be upgraded to MCU2 and it would be close in functionality to a 2020 model. If it doesn't include Supercharging, I'd consider a 2017 or newer S100D instead.

CapeOne

Jun 14, 2016
New England
Other than the new car warranty, which you'll want to confirm, I see little advantage over a used car. In fact, it may be slightly worse as it's been used by numerous people for test drives and/or as a service loaner versus a typical used car that may have been used by only one person/family.

I can't speak to UK pricing but I wouldn't value this car any more than what a similar used car would be worth with a comparable warranty. Are there any UK new car EV incentives which you would qualify for?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC