Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017-2020 Model 3 recalled for trunk/rear camera issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I scheduled this fix via mobile service. My vehicle has more than 50,000 miles on it. I was quoted $154 for the repair. I messaged back and said this was a RECALL and why am I paying for a recall? The answer was "it's not a recall, it's a service bulletin and your vehicle is out of warranty." Are other owners paying for this fix?

Did you get a detail for the part cost and the labor?

Could you get the part then and install yourself?

Reactions: Black306
I scheduled this fix via mobile service. My vehicle has more than 50,000 miles on it. I was quoted $154 for the repair. I messaged back and said this was a RECALL and why am I paying for a recall? The answer was "it's not a recall, it's a service bulletin and your vehicle is out of warranty." Are other owners paying for this fix?
My car received that recall (not TSB) months before warranty expired last August. It was finally done when parts availability happened early this year. A recall shouldn't have a cost; I didn't even have an estimated cost so something seems odd.

Tesla recalls nearly half a million cars over rear camera safety issues

any more...

Those sure looks like a recall to me

4838C9D5-E935-42FB-A0B9-53A6510BA8C5.png

I still can’t schedule service for rear harness recall. I received a letter about the recall in Feb. 2022. When I scheduled a mobile service in August 2022, they canceled it saying parts aren’t available but will be soon. Six months later, still waiting.

I couldn’t either. By itself. For months. As soon as I scheduled a mobile service for the repeater cameras though it was added.

Perhaps they don’t want to come out just for that by itself.
We can rule out that hypothesis: I scheduled service for the trunk harness recall and a rattle. (Stuffing foam into the corner of the dash stopped the rattle so that problem no longer required debugging.) They fixed the rattle for free (thank you!!) but declined to fix the recall for lack of parts.

It's been 14 months since the recall notice.

Reactions: notsure11
I couldn’t either. By itself. For months. As soon as I scheduled a mobile service for the repeater cameras though it was added.

Perhaps they don’t want to come out just for that by itself.
Thanks, I just read about Tesla replacing repeater cameras for some owners. I have a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD. Out of warranty now. Am I able to get them replaced so blinkers don’t blind them at night?

My wife's Model 3 is a 2018 purchased 10/18. Harness was replaced at 35,000 or so miles just recently which would have made the Tesla 4.3 years old?
Work was done at no charge to me.

Thanks, I just read about Tesla replacing repeater cameras for some owners. I have a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD. Out of warranty now. Am I able to get them replaced so blinkers don’t blind them at night?

I’m still under warranty. Tesla also doesn’t consider the glare a defect. It was done for me the first time as warranty as one of the cameras was also blinking in and out. Which is another known issue of these cameras. The second time was considered goodwill.

They did for me, originally were going to charge me but later offered as 1-time courtesy since my car has Enhanced Auto Pilot from way back - they also claimed these new cameras would have limited warranty but my car has been out of regular warranty since Aug 2022 anyway.

Note that the default is now black but if you want a chrome 'cover' to match what you had, it does not have the Tesla T on the cover - I went with them anyway since the blind spot camera is legitimate garbage at night (for me) with how much turn signal light was bleeding through and the chrome matches the scheme of my 2018.

They did for me, originally were going to charge me but later offered as 1-time courtesy since my car has Enhanced Auto Pilot from way back
Same here. I purchased car with FSD and I've been on Beta since the start of limited public releases.

Note that the default is now black but if you want a chrome 'cover' to match what you had, it does not have the Tesla T on the cover - I went with them anyway since the blind spot camera is legitimate garbage at night (for me) with how much turn signal light was bleeding through and the chrome matches the scheme of my 2018.
Yeah they came with both options and asked if I wanted black or chome w/ out the logo. Hard choice. But went with chrome due to rest of car is chrome. On reflection I would have done back simply so it doesn't stand out as much.

I have a 2019 Model 3 that is subject to the recall. I received a call from Tesla about 8 months ago asking me if I could take my car to a Supercharger location where they were holding a repair clinic especially for the harness recall. I declined because the location was a 5 hour drive round trip. I was told I would receive a call from the service center, which I never did. I recently scheduled an appointment at the service centre so it could be addressed along with a couple other minor warranty repairs.

At first, I was told my car was not subject to the recall even though a search on the Tesla website indicates my VIN is included.

I was then told the recall could not be completed because I have an aftermarket power trunk kit installed on my vehicle. They actually noticed on my service order that the warranty on the trunk harness is now void.

I have two issues with this. First, this is a safety recall not a warranty request. In Canada anyway, I’m under the understanding that a safety recall must be completed regardless of the vehicle condition (for instance, a “rebuilt” salvage vehicle must be fixed under a recall even though there is no factory warranty). Second, even if it was a warranty repair, any denial of warranty coverage would have to show that the aftermarket component was the cause of the failure.

Tesla seems to choose the oddest things to battle. They didn’t blink an eye replacing both my headlights because they had water stains on the inside of the lenses, but denied a 5 minute, $5 recall repair.

I politely insisted, even offering to pay for the part. After speaking with a manager they gave me a “goodwill” reinforcement grommet. The Tesla service instructions are available online, the the repair took me less than five minutes. It included checking the color of the camera wire, and if solid black (mine was), zip-tying the reinforcement grommet to the bend of the harness.

Given the simplicity of the repair, Tesla’s reaction was perplexing.

It depends.

On my Model 3 they came to my house to do it under Mobile Service as an add on to replaced the side cameras for the turn signal light glare issue.

When they showed up it was well let’s see which trunk you have. This is either going ri take 5 minutes or an hour depending on the trunk. They had no idea which until they showed up. In my case it was 5 minutes. So it’s not always that easy.

Legally they may HAVE to repair but it’s up to you to confidence them otherwise.

I stopped swapping our adding aftermarket parts. This forum and many others for other manufacturers or littered with posts about service centers refusing to replace or repair factory parts due to related aftermarket parts.

You changed the door light with 3rd party. That’s why your window motor failed and we will not cover it.

You replaced your camera with one from a newer car even if it’s a factory part we won’t calibrate your cameras.

You changed the service menu settings for your motors to get more power we won’t fix a failed motor.

List goes on and on.

In many / most causes there is no way it would cause the issue they are claiming but it’s a way for them to avoid doing free work. This is not just Tesla but every make. The burden of period is on you and it will often require a court case to get done unless you can get someone nice to just goodwill it.

There is a reason I don’t modify cars anymore; at least under warranty anyway.

Again it depends on which car, year, version you have.

My mobile service had no idea even with VIN, year, and mode l if it was 5 min or hour fix.

There are at “least” two different fixes. And that assumes the cable hasn’t been damaged yet.

I’m 100% remote, minimal miles and early use truck so I was just a 5 min fix.

If you have a different config or your cable is damaged from excessive trunk use it’s not nearly as simple.